BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2013 6:32 pm  #1

Sherlock "Theme song" project: ~Work in Progress~

Hey everybody, Jayhan here!

Now that I've introduced myself in the other thread, it's time that I announce a music project I'm currently working on:

The Sherlock Theme Song project.

Having written, composed and arranged my own song for another fandom (related to Ghostbusters), I found it to be a fun experience. I'm not a sensational singer, composer or writer, but I felt incredibly happy that I was able to contribute my work, my passion, into a fandom that I loved. Creating my own song was time-consuming and I was met with so many frustrating challenges in that project... However, through every effort, every investment, I was able to learn a lot from it and thus gain more experience. That's what makes me enjoy the works I've completed and what makes me excited for what I would like to do in the near future. And being able to do something like this again for another fandom is what I would like to do, starting with this project.

The goal of this composition is to be some sort of fanmade opening theme song that would engage people to watch the show. It is also in some ways a salute to the fans of the show and, of course, those who worked on it, from executive producers to writers, composers, actors,... The list of people involved is endless. Since there are so many people involved, I realize that this translates to enormous amount of pressure for me; I'm gonna have to try to come up with good lyrics, a catchy melody before meshing it all together into a great music video.

To start, my idea for the music genre would be rock, accompanied by some orchestra - probably strings for the most part. I'm thinking of including some sort of violin solo and pizz strings for the beginning... I still have to work on that idea. I've already written some lyrics, but I think I'll have to look them through again.

Anyway, thought I'd start this thread to announce this project and keep you all up to date with its progress. Also, if you would like to give some ideas, some feedback or maybe even be involved as a musician or a co-writer, then pm me. I enjoy collaborating with others. :D

All right, let's get this started! Until then, I'll see ya guys 'round! ;D

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
"The Sherlock show is the equivalent of a pack of chips, a box full of popcorn or an assortment of the finest Swiss chocolate; once you start, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO STOP. EVER. IT'S THAT GOOD." quoted by me when trying to convince my friends to watch the show.

If you want to check out my music works, here's my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/JayhanTheMusician?feature=mhee
If you like my works, then like my facebook page ;D : https://www.facebook.com/Julia.Jayhan.Handschin

February 11, 2013 9:38 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock "Theme song" project: ~Work in Progress~

So, these are the lyrics I've come up with so far. Those lyrics are mainly inspired by the individuals (including Sherlock, Mycroft and John) struggling with Moriarity and... Well, Moriarity.

Just to remind you all, this is a draft, so it's possible that it'll undergo some changes... But yeah, it's in that kind of atmosphere that I want this song to be. Let me know what you think; any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Sherlock Theme Song (Possible titles I've considered so far: "Victor and Fall")

Verse:
Confusion clouds my mind
the screams of pain unheard
Entangled in your web of lies
Here I am, lost ahead of time

I can't see ahead of me
Anything I muster dies away
Doubt grips and chokes me
Your smile smug as you stare me down

All I need is to breathe
All I need is to remember

Chorus:
I'm a survivor
You've sent me down to hell and watched me burn
But its from those pit that I'll arise
and from those wounds that I'll grow stronger

I'm a warrior
Strike me, but you can't push me back
Stab me, but you can't bring me down
I'll take anything you throw at me
I'll bring on the fight
And beat you down
Ooh...

Do what you want
but it'll be you who'll take the fall

Verse:
To you, I'm your puppet
dangling by strings and dancing to your tunes
A pawn to your schemes
crawling by your feet and “snap!” caught in your trap

To me, you're not a man
but a hound chasing after me
lurking in the darkness and traveling by shadows
waiting for the right moment to prey on me

Relentless beating
Relentless panting (but it's in anger and pain that I scream)

Chorus:
I'm a survivor
You've sent me down to hell and watched me burn

I'm a warrior
I'll take anything you throw at me
I'll bring on the fight
And beat you down
Ooh...

Go ahead and kill me
But I still owe you a fall

Bridge:
A game
that's all it's ever been to you
You've played me long enough
This round I'll take my chances
This is where it all ends
Right here (right here)
Right now (right now)
FALL!

Final Chorus:
I'm a survivor
You've been stalking me and watching me for far too long
But it'll be from your bonds that I'll break free
and from your devious schemes that I'll outsmart you

I'm a warrior
I'll strike you back
I'll bring you down
You can't hide from me
This struggle won't last long
Because I know
the day
will come
where
I (you)
become (take)
The (your)
victor (fall)

So, that's the first draft. I'm sticking to that for the time being, but like I mentioned before, I'm flexible and able to make changes here and there. Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks for reading as see ya guys 'round! ;D

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
"The Sherlock show is the equivalent of a pack of chips, a box full of popcorn or an assortment of the finest Swiss chocolate; once you start, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO STOP. EVER. IT'S THAT GOOD." quoted by me when trying to convince my friends to watch the show.

If you want to check out my music works, here's my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/JayhanTheMusician?feature=mhee
If you like my works, then like my facebook page ;D : https://www.facebook.com/Julia.Jayhan.Handschin

February 21, 2013 9:43 pm  #3

So, to give you all an update on my project, I've decided to share what I have so far.
This is sort of the direction I'm going for. I still think it sounds too dark, too morbid and too unintriguing so far, so I'll have to rework on that. But anyway, long story short, here's a sample of my theme song. ;)

Last edited by Jayhan (February 22, 2013 12:16 am)

April 11, 2013 10:38 pm  #4

All right, so I've just uploaded the first excerpt of the theme song I've been working, which include vocals and some additional changes to both the lyrics and the arrangement.

And here are the new lyrics (so far):

Verse:
Confusion clouds my mind
the screams of pain unheard
Entangled in your web of lies
Here I am, fallen from grace

I can't see ahead of me
Anything I muster dies away
I'm being strangled by my own doubt
with your hands at my neck and your laughter echoing in my head

All I need is to breathe
All I need is to remember

Chorus:
I'm a survivor
You've sent me down to hell
and watched me burn in your scorching flames

'Cause I'm a fighter
You can shatter all of my bones
but you'll never ever break my will

I owe you a fall, oh...

Oh, and as usual, feedback is always greatly appreciated; I know that there's a lot that needs to be worked on, but it helps me a lot if people can pinpoint the bad/the flaws of my works so I can improve a lot faster. ;D

Thanks for your time, and see ya 'round!

Last edited by Jayhan (April 11, 2013 10:39 pm)

Board footera