BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2012 11:50 pm  #1

The pen toss

Very well done.
We must see if we can get some feedback from anyone connected with the show on this little scene.
I might try Gatiss or Moffat on Twitter.

Last edited by kazza474 (June 12, 2012 3:21 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 18, 2012 2:11 am  #2

Re: The pen toss

Yeah, that's pretty cool. Would love to see the outtakes on that one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 12, 2012 2:51 am  #3

Didn't even blink! Awesome. I had to replay that for at least 3 times.

June 12, 2012 3:14 am  #4

jimella wrote:

Didn't even blink! Awesome. I had to replay that for at least 3 times.

Welcome to the forum! Make sure you go to the "Introductions" page and make a new thread to introduce yourself...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 12, 2012 3:25 am  #5

Hee hee, I still love that one.
Edited it so the video is on screen now cos I got smarter since then.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 14, 2012 9:55 am  #6

Definitely epic. I always love that bit when I watch the Ep now.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 15, 2012 1:02 am  #7

How do you suppose he did that?  Was he facing a mirror or something? Some camera trick? Did John really toss the pen? Or was it in Sherlock's hand all along. But that's not really possible since we see he has both hands in front of him. Or...I am just overanalyzing

About the blinking thing, I was watching it again last night and I was trying not to blink the entire time...my eyes would just water

June 15, 2012 1:21 am  #8

I would suspect that it's both the angle at which the pen is thrown (John throws it virtually vertically so all Benedict has to do is close his fist on it) and peripheral vision. They probably rehearsed it a few times but it's not impossible to do. Watch football players - they pass to each other without looking all the time. Granted, the one catching generally IS looking.

It is very impressive and I would also love to know how many times they had to do it but it's not an impossible thing to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

October 5, 2012 7:27 pm  #9

Benedict has stated in interview they did it 1st time, but the camera man was too slow to get the shot.
It then took them several goes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 30, 2012 1:42 am  #10

Thank you for that info. That teamwork is so perfectly done.

January 5, 2013 9:37 pm  #11

Ooooohhh! I will have to practice catching!
Sadly I'm really REALLY bad at catching...
Maybe I'm just obsessed with Sherlock's Hands, but can't you stab yourself (just a little) with catching a pencil? I once hut myself catching a key... Or I'm just terribly clumsy ;D

January 5, 2013 11:05 pm  #12

I recognized that scene yesterday while watching my dvd. And it was: WOW! What was that!?
And again, and again, and again.... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 6, 2013 12:01 am  #13

I love this little moment of sychronicity.

I was waiting for the inevitable 'Pen-to-Face' moment, however. Having to do the rest of the scene with a massive ink dot somewhere prominent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

April 11, 2013 6:20 am  #14

They say things come in threes... there is also a nifty teapot catchwhen Soo Lin drops it at night in the museum when Sherlock first appears in there and a neat vase catch from Sherlock when he enters Soo Lin's flat via the window and knocks a vase off the table.
I particularly like that these are tightly written to show something -
- John knows Sherlock will catch the pen and is aware of his position to throw it to him,
- Sherlock anticipated the teapot being dropped or had fast reflexes to catch it,
- Sherlock is fallible to knock the vase of the table but quick to catch it and immediately understands the intruder also entered the flat the same way due to water on the floor.

All credit of course to Benedict and Martin and the timing of the actress who played Soo Lin Yao

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

April 11, 2013 12:16 pm  #15

I don't see anything weird about Sherlock catching the pen xD He knew John was going to throw it and he also saw it (even if not looking directly at the pen). It's not that hard to catch things.

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

April 11, 2013 12:29 pm  #16

Who said anything about weird?
It's just us overanalyzing every tiny bit: Just looking if we can observe someting.

April 15, 2013 4:01 am  #17

jimella wrote:

How do you suppose he did that? Was he facing a mirror or something?

I had always assumed it was a well-coordinated catch but indeed, they used a mirror. Still, it must have taken a lot of effort to look so effortlessly

April 15, 2013 5:47 am  #18

Tho has already been said:
they did it the 1st time, but the cameras weren't ready!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2013 12:45 am  #19

They (apparently) filmed it over, and over, and over again, until they figured out to use a mirror. Somewhere, there's an interview where Ben answered the question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

April 16, 2013 5:44 am  #20

Yeah and that's where he said that he and Martin got it 1st time, but the cameras weren't ready.

Board footera