BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2013 11:35 am  #21

Re: Why not Molly?

Exactly. Especially when one of the people is now a bit...dead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 6, 2013 11:40 am  #22

Lelli wrote:

When Moriarty threatens to kill all of Sherlocks friends: why doesn't he mention Molly?

Sherlock does like Molly as well. Of course he uses her sometimes but they are friends. After all she is on the christmas party and he actually apologizes to her.

My own guess is that Moriarty is not aware of Sherlock's feelings of friendship for Molly because up until ths point Sherlock is not consciously aware of them. Certainly Moriarty is aware of her feelings for Sherlock. I can imagine his dates with Molly contained quite a bit of her unloading to him how badly Sherlock treats her

I have speculated in other posts that I think we will see a new Molly/Sherlock relationship going forward. I expect she will no longer act as his doormat and he will show her more civility and respect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

February 19, 2013 8:14 pm  #23

Or Sherlock just needs a place to crash while he's pretending to be dead... 'Sherlock on my sofa,' purred Molly.

April 8, 2013 7:28 am  #24

I agree with most theories here, and I believe Sherlock doesn't think Molly counts because he doesn't see her the same way that she sees him. She is just there, in his life, and appart from her awkwardness around him, and the fact Sherlock doesn't notice her effort with her appearance at the Christmas Party, suggests he doesn't care about her enough to notice her. This doesn't mean that he wont care about her more in the future. But it does mean that he wouldn't think of her as potential targets. 

April 8, 2013 10:08 am  #25

^He did notice her efforts, and commented on them quite extensively. He just didn't realise they were directed at him, possibly because he's not used to having someone have a crush on him. Sherlock being Sherlock, he probably notices her, but as he's not used to the concept of love, he doesn't realise that Molly has a crush on him and may just think that that's how she normally behaves?
But unless Sherlock does actually fully end up appreciating her, if not actually fall in love with her (very unlikely!) then she probably won't be a target. Anyone watching them will think that she's just another collegue, and leave her alone like the rest of them.

Threatened with burning 'cos his stories were tall
Sherlock Holmes had a great fall
All Mycroft's horses and all Lestrade's men
Couldn't put John back together again

Get your salt and get your gun
An IOU apple? C'mon, you must think!
Let us go -- be ready to run
And remember -- above all -- DO NOT BLINK.

Warning: awkward newbie alert! I will be tenatively posting in random topics until I have established some kind of a rough presence. And then I will probabably continue doing so. You have been warned.

My first fanfic Crossover between Sherlock and AF

May 2, 2013 5:28 pm  #26

Moriarty, thanks to Mycroft, knows Sherlock very well and knows that he doesn't have a lot of friends. And  I believe that even if Sherlock maybe linked some friendship with Molly at the end, it is logical to say that  Moriarty couldn't know she was a friends of him...

May 3, 2013 6:47 am  #27

Sky Holt wrote:

^He did notice her efforts, and commented on them quite extensively. He just didn't realise they were directed at him, possibly because he's not used to having someone have a crush on him. Sherlock being Sherlock, he probably notices her, but as he's not used to the concept of love, he doesn't realise that Molly has a crush on him and may just think that that's how she normally behaves?
But unless Sherlock does actually fully end up appreciating her, if not actually fall in love with her (very unlikely!) then she probably won't be a target. Anyone watching them will think that she's just another collegue, and leave her alone like the rest of them.

Just wanted to say that I really like those poems at that appear at the bottom of your post! Seriously, they're really good! Obviously, the first one's from Humpty Dumpty, did you come up with the second one yourself? I'm guessing the 'do not blink' thing is from Doctor Who, but still, it's really cool!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

June 1, 2013 8:53 pm  #28

I dont ship them, but lets not forget before he jumped Sherlock said "I need you" to Molly and, i think, not just to stage his death (in a friendshippy way)...
He cares about her and thats why he didnt mention her name.

June 1, 2013 11:14 pm  #29

I don't think Moriarty expects Sherlock to die. To jump, or rather, find a way of appearing to.. yes. I think the game continues and Moriarty is hoping that Sherlock will find a way to evade death. He doesn't include Mycroft or Molly in the threat because he's giving Sherlock a chance; making it a fair game. He could've just rounded up all the people Sherlock cared about and held them at gunpoint until he jumped, but that would be too easy and boring. I think he left Molly (and Mycroft) out of it because they had the potential to change the game - neither Mrs Hudson, nor John, nor Lestrade could do much to help Sherlock outwit Moriarty, so their role is purely as pawns in the emotional blackmail. Moriarty doesn't this to be over...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

We met twice, five minutes in total. I pulled a gun, he tried to blow me up. I felt we had a special something.

Icon credit: wraith816 @ livejournal

June 1, 2013 11:28 pm  #30

Every name Sherlock said, Moriarty agrees to- as if he is deciding afterwards, Molly and Mycroft are probably involved in staging Sherlock's death so it would be too risky to mention their names...

June 1, 2013 11:46 pm  #31

My bad... I missed that Sherlock was the first to suggest them. Just re-watched the scene... he's vague though. He just says 'everyone' in response to John and Mrs Hudson, and his answer to Lestrade is "three bullets, three gunmen, three victims". How does Moriary know which ones to target though?

Obviously the gunmen are then shown so Moriarty isn't bluffing... but neither of them mentions Molly or Mycroft. Sherlock has a motive for not mentioning either of them, i.e. one or both are involved in his plan, but Moriarty doesn't. Surely he'd realise that Mycroft (if not Molly as well) has at least as much value to Sherlock as Lestrade & Mrs H, maybe not equal to John. Argghh. I don't know.

Last edited by bohemia (June 1, 2013 11:48 pm)

We met twice, five minutes in total. I pulled a gun, he tried to blow me up. I felt we had a special something.

June 2, 2013 9:23 am  #32

Moriarty has no reason to assume that Mycroft is important to Sherlock. That being said, I also think that Mycroft is a harder target since he doesn't simply walk around London. Of course he could also get to Mycroft - but again, there's no obvious reason for it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 2, 2013 10:12 am  #33

Remember Mycroft told him lots of information about sherlock, this may make Moriarty think they are in a feud. Or does he show some compassion to the man who helped and the woman who introduces him to sherlock?? I doubt it...
Sherlock has more friends, sorry aquaintences, than he knows; Irena (?), Homeless network, all those people who owe their lives after cases (omg owe) I think this will be a major theme in staging his death because earlier John talked about 'Every officer he ever made feel small' (?) Jumping on the band wagon about him being a fake. It would be a lovely twist if it became a two-sided thing.
I lost myself a little there, also sorry for the (?) been a while
Thoughts??

June 2, 2013 10:19 am  #34

You probably mean Irene Adler. 
I've also thought about all the people who owe him favours. I mean somebody like Angelo or Henry Knight could easily confirm that Sherlock is not a fraud. Let's not forget about the homeless network either. He really has more friends than he thinks he has.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 2, 2013 11:17 am  #35

Yeah x i meant Irene, didnt know how to spell

June 2, 2013 1:55 pm  #36

"Moriarty has no reason to assume that Mycroft is important to Sherlock."

Doesn't he? They're brothers... it's well known that they don't get along, but they have enough shared history that Mycroft's death would have an impact on Sherlock. And despite the idea that they don't get along, you can tell from the dynamic that it's sibling rivalry and reasonably superficial. Mycroft cares enough about Sherlock to keep tabs on him, and always Sherlock (begrudingly) helps Mycroft out when asked. I think that's a bond that runs very deep - for all their sniping at each other, they're family and they do care. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy, and they're certainly not apathetic toward each other.

I think Moriarty may have underestimated it, on the basis that Mycroft gave him information... but I just have this feeling that there's more to it than that. Moriarty is ridiculously calculating genius; he hasn't made a single mistake so far... everything that's happened has been part of a big plan and it's gone off without a hitch (except perhaps the phonecall by the pool, but even then, if he'd wanted them dead he could've had the sniper kill both Sherlock and John). What he learnt from that phone call was that he had ammunition to continue the game, so he let them live to continue playing.

Definitely agree that the homeless network are involved somehow. Not so sure that his previous clients could *prove* that he's not a fraud - the idea is that he orchestrated all the previous solved mysteries; if he paid 'Rich Brook' to be Moriarty then what's to say the others weren't paid or somehow rewarded for their co-operation? That's basically the whole premise of the story that Kitty is publishing, and it's too late to stop that happening now.

Goddamn Mofftiss. I simulatenously want to punch them, kiss them, and maybe toss them off the roof of a very high building...

June 2, 2013 4:44 pm  #37

I think Sherlock guessed that Moriarty would try to use John as a pawn which is why he first states John's name. But then he realises more people are in the line of fire. The next logical person for Moriarty to choose would be Mrs Hudson which is why he mentions her next.

It's then probably very obvious to Sherlock that Moriarty isn't quite finished yet so he knows there are more name(s). For whatever reason he does choose Lestrade then he receives confirmation that there are 3 bullets. There is no need to mention Molly or anyone else because he knows there are no more targets.

I do believe he cares deeply for Molly and I think it shows in a subtle way but I haven't got the time to go into that discussion right now x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

June 2, 2013 6:07 pm  #38

@bohemia: Yeah, but Moriarty doesn't understand things like love. It is very obvious that Sherlock deeply cares for John, but his brother? Mycroft sold his own brother to Moriarty to protect his country, right? Just as Sherlock willingly gave the Bruce-Partington-Plans to Moriarty in order to protect John. I agree with you that there's still this certain bond between the brothers, though they have different priorities, but Moriarty doesn't see that. 

*edited to correct an embarrassing grammar mistake

Last edited by Mary Me (June 2, 2013 6:49 pm)

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 2, 2013 6:35 pm  #39

I really think that Mycroft has baited a line for Moriarty. The story that has been sold to him is that Mycroft has betrayed his brother, that there is no love between them. This then takes Mycroft directly out of Moriarty's line of fire (both literally and metaphorically).

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 2, 2013 8:27 pm  #40

He cares more for Molly than Lestrade; he arrested him, whilst Molly helped fake his death 
We are questioning why not Molly, but i think it is more why not molly OVER Lestrade?

Board footera