BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2013 7:54 pm  #1

for those in not-UK, daft question possibly but...

if you guys want  to see the show sooner, can you not get it on dvd?

I know Amazon US will ship a single copy of US made dvds to the UK and while they are region encoded, most dvd players are multiregion anyway these days, no?

Or can you not buy from itunes? thats where most of my sherlock episodes come from.

theres also talk i think of making iplayer (bbc catchup site) global access, fir a fee.

prob you have thought of these ideas but just in case...hate to think of you guys waiting extra months!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 3, 2013 8:01 pm  #2

Re: for those in not-UK, daft question possibly but...

Where there's a will Beekeeper...

Needless to say but I'm sure BBC Worldwide will seek to maximise profits by turning around DVDs with special features as soon as they can.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

April 3, 2013 8:30 pm  #3

Personally I use Expat Shield and BBC iplayer. No way I'm going to wait several months, and no way I'm going to see it in French.

April 3, 2013 8:37 pm  #4

ah glad you guys onto it!

was just bemused that people seemed to be expecting to wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"

April 4, 2013 2:18 am  #5

I admit that I need help on how not to wait!!!

April 4, 2013 2:46 am  #6

I'm too impatient, I'm a downloader. EZTV for the win. Episodes are usually put online within hours of initially airing.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 4, 2013 5:54 am  #7

Funny you should bring that up, because after the last series, it's been an on/off endeavor to tinker with my situation, because no way do I want to wait so long again…..  ;P  ;P

Basically you've been hearing so many comments as to such, because even in today's age of techy media consumption, there's still a stubborn grip with when/where their creative product is released (heck, not to complain about my favorite british stuff… I know it's similar vice versa for 'our' stuff getting to other countries!).  Understandable, to an extent.  I don't advocate piracy myself (even though I agree all the streaming/download sites put up for just that purpose are convenient), and the creators still need to make a livelihood and encourage to make more.  But it makes it kinda hard when I'm not allowed to watch stuff on bbc's site, and the networks here don't carry it until months later (although they said they were working on it).

So some people use various other websites, as mentioned (I'm unfamiliar with how fast iTunes/others get it).  Or, sure, there's the dvds.  Which unfairly also seem to have no waiting period for you guys, noticed last time they were released shortly after the eps finished, while we still have to wait until after it actually gets a chance to air on tv first.  And no, I couldn't just get the British dvds last year instead of waiting, as country dvd/blu-ray 'regions' on discs/players were created specifically for that reason to keep a certain amount of control with release dates (again, 'grr' at the companies).  Of course, now plenty of people get a region-free player (because no, most of them are Not, although someone recently told me most external dvd drives are), depending on their interest in playing other country region discs, and being aware of it.   Which is what I started looking into, actually, so I can just grab my own copy from amazon uk when the time comes, and have a player that will work with it.   So, heh… yeah, I suppose I'm kind of 'tweaking' things in a way myself, to get my hands on my favorite content.  ;D  But if I was gonna buy it anyway, might as well get the british copy and do whatever it takes to get to watch it!  ;D

(and apologies for throwing out such a wordy response!  I know this has been bantered here and there in other threads already as the subject of spoilers and access comes up with the approach of another series (so for the many for whom this is old knowledge, hopefully just skipped over), but also figured at least you and veecee and others are still wondering about, as evident from threads about it, so maybe helpful hearing what others do)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 4, 2013 11:45 am  #8

beekeeper wrote:

if you guys want  to see the show sooner, can you not get it on dvd?

I know Amazon US will ship a single copy of US made dvds to the UK and while they are region encoded, most dvd players are multiregion anyway these days, no?

Or can you not buy from itunes? thats where most of my sherlock episodes come from.

theres also talk i think of making iplayer (bbc catchup site) global access, fir a fee.

prob you have thought of these ideas but just in case...hate to think of you guys waiting extra months!

I'm thinking the dvd option will probably work out best, unless they do allow global access to the BBC site.  I don't have a moral issue with downloading when I intend to buy the dvd when I can, but it makes me nervous (viruses, possible legal ramifications).  Also, I don't feel right about torrenting - I know I'm eventually going to pay for what I'm downloading, but I can't speak for the people I'd be seeding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

April 4, 2013 5:51 pm  #9

Need to ask a clarifying question.  Commercially produced, USA-compatible DVDs (with extras and all) will NOT be available to purchase until after Series 3 has aired in the USA, right?

-------------------
Are you local?

April 4, 2013 6:14 pm  #10

MNRebecca wrote:

Need to ask a clarifying question.  Commercially produced, USA-compatible DVDs (with extras and all) will NOT be available to purchase until after Series 3 has aired in the USA, right?

I'm just basing this on what I remember from last series... but yeah, since I hadn't looked into being able to play British region dvds at that point, I was so impatient having to wait until PBS was able/allowed/finally-decided-to-let-us-watch Sherlock, fit into their schedule a few months later, and THEN I was able to grab the US dvds a short time after that, since they want to let the tv networks have a chance to air it for ratings first before they release them.   Hence why you hear about so many people trying to get the show some other way!  ;P

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

April 4, 2013 7:43 pm  #11

I totally want to (and do) support PBS, but I will find it really hard to wait for Season 3. Of course, our wait actually isn't any longer than the UK's, since we got Season 3 more recently.

Russell -- maybe we should meet in Toldedo and figure out how to watch it!

April 4, 2013 7:49 pm  #12

can you not get multi region dvd players over there? Here they are pretty much standard. Also, region encoded dvd players can often be unlocked to region free-that's what we did. I don't think that's illegal.

April 4, 2013 8:02 pm  #13

beekeeper wrote:

can you not get multi region dvd players over there? Here they are pretty much standard. Also, region encoded dvd players can often be unlocked to region free-that's what we did. I don't think that's illegal.

Yes, of course!  I mention that in my post...  I was just saying that the 'typical' ones you find in the store are not.  I've been having to look for one on Amazon.  But more expensive.... after finding out about external dvd drives typically being region-free (fingers crossed), to not have to pay a lot, or have to fiddle with unlocking anything, probably will go that route.

April 4, 2013 8:35 pm  #14

beekeeper wrote:

region encoded dvd players can often be unlocked to region free

This tempts me...but I can think of a major drawback.  I won't be able to loan my DVDs to friends and neighbors, most of whom have (U.S.) blue-ray players.

-------------------
Are you local?

April 4, 2013 8:42 pm  #15

veecee wrote:

I totally want to (and do) support PBS

Bless you, my child.

-------------------
Are you local?

Board footera