BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2013 10:52 am  #1

Game of Thrones- books

I have just posted in the TV series thread following a request for info from Skitty. Since the request was actually about the books that the TV series is based on I thought I'd re-post the basics here.

The books are written by George R.R. Martin.

They form a series called :A Song of Fire and Ice.
The correct order for the novels is as follows:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast of Crows
A Dance with Dragons

The author is in the process of writing the sixth novel.

In the US published by Bantam Spectra. In the UK published by Voyager Books.

Also available to download.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 2, 2013 4:44 am  #2

Re: Game of Thrones- books

Thank you  davina!!!   I'm  going to see if my library has them.   There's this old bookstore in town that I love to go to;  maybe they will have them too.  Can you tell me what category  I'll find them in?  fantasy,  sci fi,   etc?   I'm  thinking fantasy.           

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

April 12, 2013 1:18 am  #3

I downloaded the first in the series last week and am thoroughly enjoying reading it. The character development is wonderful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 21, 2013 4:04 am  #4

I'm almost finished Game of Thrones so will have to rush out and buy A Clash of Kings. Really enjoyed it so far. Personally took me a while to work out who was who but I've got the basics now thankfully. Can't wait to get deeper into the story!

================================================================

June 4, 2014 1:16 pm  #5

Have now read the first two books in the series and have just downloaded the first part of the third book. Started reading it last night. 

June 4, 2014 3:38 pm  #6

The third book was the one I ended up hurling against a wall.
But if you are reading it on an electronic device you might want to avoid that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 7, 2014 1:55 pm  #7

Sounds ominous! 

June 7, 2014 5:47 pm  #8

It is.
It also totally pissed me off.  

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 8, 2014 4:24 pm  #9

tonnaree wrote:

The third book was the one I ended up hurling against a wall.
But if you are reading it on an electronic device you might want to avoid that.

My husband was tempted to do that, too.  He was pretty pissed off in some places XD 

But it is easily the best book in the series.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 15, 2014 12:29 pm  #10

After having known about the books for approximately two years, I finally decided to give it a go. I'm now 2/3 through the first book and already bought the second. I would never have expected that I would enjoy it so much... it's not the kind of fantasy that I usually like, so it really surprised me how addictive I find it. It's been a long time since I've encountered such greatly developed and fleshed-out characters.
I even enjoy reading about the characters that I don't like because they're still realistic and interesting.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

June 18, 2014 10:35 pm  #11

I am part way through the first part of the third book now (that sounds confusing). I don't want to read on beyond that before the next series is shown because I want everything to be a surprise. I know there are differences between the book and the series which I shall enjoy spotting when I read the book.

June 18, 2014 11:21 pm  #12

What series are you guys up to in the UK?  Have they not shown Series 4 which just ended here in the US?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 19, 2014 6:28 pm  #13

Yes same, series four just finished. The last episode was the Monday just gone.

June 19, 2014 6:49 pm  #14

Davina wrote:

I am part way through the first part of the third book now (that sounds confusing). I don't want to read on beyond that before the next series is shown because I want everything to be a surprise. I know there are differences between the book and the series which I shall enjoy spotting when I read the book.

This series left some stuff unfinished from book 3 (Jon, for example), but the next season will combine books 4 and 5 becaue they are concurrent stories divided by POV.  But some characters are much further ahead in their storylines than others...a couple of them (Bran and Sansa) have even reached the end of their known storylines already, so we will probably wander into book 6 territory next year.

Basically, reading by book won't work next year because things are about to get very messy XD

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

June 23, 2014 10:31 am  #15

I am reading the second book right now. It's been a long time since I read a book that I enjoyed so much that I barely put it down and now I found a whole series that I enjoy... it's really not a good timing though, I'm actually supposed to study for the upcoming exams.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

June 23, 2014 11:11 pm  #16

^It can be pretty addictive...my favorite is easily book 3.  I started reading it and I couldn't put it down for a few days.  So...maybe you should stop after ACoK just in case ;)

July 19, 2014 5:16 pm  #17

Making my way through the second part of book 3. Then I am stopping until I have watched the next series...

June 20, 2015 8:59 pm  #18

I have bought the next book. I am brave enough to read it now...I think. I am intrigued t see what is different between the book and the most recent season.

July 27, 2015 9:41 pm  #19

@ Davina: Can you say what you prefer: books or series?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 27, 2015 9:48 pm  #20

I'm now reading Dance of Dragons, and it feels a bit... almost uncomfortable, having the series caught up with me. I don't know what to expect anymore. Especially since the creators have consciously deviated from the books.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera