BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2013 5:53 am  #141

Re: Recently watched movies.

Re: Time Traveler's Wife….  oh my gosh… that book is in a tiny handful that was able to both make me laugh out loud and cry.  Difficulty with tackling the progression of narrative aside, the movie was pretty good too, I know! 

And funny you guys mention David Fincher and Kevin Spacey… I only barely remember Se7en… not sure if I saw the whole thing (not really being one for more horrific stuff like that), but definitely recall bit and pieces of the certainly impressive plot imagery.  Along those lines, I couldn't help but want to chime in while on the subject of them, since cannot recommend enough 'House of Cards'.  No, it's not a movie (but kind of watches like one, story-wise and watching all thirteen episodes continuously at your own pace), but both those guys put a lot of work in it (with the typical flavor/touch of twisty-thriller they both bring to projects), and Spacey is always absolutely amazing as an intense, cooly collected, not-very-nice-at-all guy.  I think you'd like it….

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 8, 2013 9:19 pm  #142

GIGLI - Finally decided to watchi it. It was horrible.
DREDD - Pretty good. Nice atmosphere. A huge improvement over Stallone's Dredd film.
REAL MCCOY - A movie I saw last when I was maybe 12 years old and I remember having such a crush on Kim Basinger. There's nothing special about this film but she's cute though.
NAUSICAÄ OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND - One of Hayao Miyazaki's earliest films and also one of his best. If you have kids of, say 12 years old, I recommend you show them what anime can be at best. Beautifully animated and great score.
THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT - Not a great movie but tackles familiar issues like making sacrifices in relationships. I actually laughed out loud in a couple of places and that's quite rare for me.
THE WRAITH - I saw this when I was like 7 years old and all I remembered was the cool black car that was indestructible. Nothing special but the 21-year old Sherilyn Fenn is mad cute.
SIDE BY SIDE - A documentary about movies making the transition from film to digital. Keanu Reeves as the interviewer. Pretty interesting.
LARS AND THE REAL GIRL - Considering the subject this could easily have been turned into a farce but it's actually a really sweet movie with great performance from Ryan Gosling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

March 9, 2013 4:54 am  #143

I recently watched The Perks of Being a Wall Flower with my daughter. I was pleasantly surprised that the main character was a boy rather than a girl. The title lead me to automatically assume that the lead would be a girl. In any case this film hits on some difficult teen subject matters but handles it very intelligently. Emma Watts' role in this film was very good and I found that her skill in her craft has improved as she has gotten older. I don't know who the two boys are, never seen either of them before but loved both of them.
This is most defiantly worth renting.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

March 9, 2013 11:27 am  #144

Oh I would love to see the Perks of Being a Wallflower! It hasn't been released in Belgium, yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

March 9, 2013 12:15 pm  #145

Watched Cloud Atlas yesterday, recommend it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

March 9, 2013 2:28 pm  #146

300. Not an historical-drama type recreation of the Spartan stand at Thermopylae but rather a translation onto screen of the graphic novels which concern King Leonidas and the Spartans famous stand at the gates of fire against the Persian army.

Yes there are some historical inaccuracies (it isn't meant to be that sort of film) and imaginative additions. But I absolutely loved the whole style and rendition of this movie. It is a violent film (certificate 15 in the UK) but then when one considers its subject matter that is frankly unavoidable. The first battle scene is absolutely fantastic!

This film was well-received by critics when it came out (2006) but slightly less well-received by the public. I suspect this is due to the fact that it derives from a graphic novel and follows it carefully in many respects. I thought the use of little 'colour' apart from red in some scenes was brilliant. The use of CGI for many of the effects is great e.g. The Persian fleet being shipwrecked. The wall of the dead is also impressive.

The fight choreography is amazing and it is no surprise that the actors spent a good 6 weeks prior to filming in physical training and weapons training.

I got this on DVD which is definitely worth it as it has the extra of the director's etc commentary.

I loved this film 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 10, 2013 11:40 am  #147

Yesterday I watched The Ghostwriter with my family. I love this film.

Starring Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan, this film is based on a non-fictional happening.
Pierce Brosnan plays the character of Adam Lang, who is a veiled portrait of former British Prime Minister Tony Blair. Ewan McGregor plays an unnamed British ghostwriter who is recruited to complete the memoirs of Adam Lang, since Lang's former ghostwriter died an mysterious death. 

The movie is long, but it held my interest all the way through. Enjoyed it very much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 14, 2013 7:16 am  #148

My daughter bought me two DVDs for Mother's Day. The first is Anonymous which is an historical drama set in the reign of Elizabeth l and is based upon the academic theory that William Shakespears did not, in fact, write his plays but that they were written by a nobleman. I enjoyed this film very much indeed.

The other DVD is Argo, which I aim to watch in the next couple of days and will post here thereafter. It is a Ben Affleck movie and was an Oscar nominee and winner in many categories. I wanted to see it at the cinema but missed it so I'm really pleased I got the DVD.

I also watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time ever the other night. A Stanley Kubrick film it was banned in the UK and US for many, many years by Kubrick himself after a number of copycat events by weirdos. It is a very violent, disturbing film in many, many respects. Set in a dystopian future it is the story of a young man who is completely, deeply, criminally maladjusted (putting it mildly) and his subsequent (mis)treatment for his 'behaviour'. Despite its themes I admired the cinematography, the use of classical music throughout and the acting. Made in 1971 it has not dated as much as many other films. The language used in the film is not quite our English so it takes a while to attune one's ear. Malcolm McDowell is excellent in the lead role. I would say that this film is most definitely an 18 certificate! It poses questions about society, criminality and deviance and how it is dealt with.

Last edited by Davina (March 14, 2013 7:25 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 14, 2013 7:50 am  #149

We read "A Clockwork Orange" at school which was really hard work because of all the neologisms created by Anthony Burgess. And I watched the film which is quite a good adaptation but it's really disturbing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 14, 2013 9:53 am  #150

My daughter just recently borrowed A Clockwork Orange from the library and had a lot of trouble with the made up slang in the book. She did say that the more she read it the more sense it made, but that it was a slow process. The problem with reading a made up slang language is that without being able to hear tone and inflection, figuring things out by context is a bit more difficult. I suggested she see the film so that she could get a "feel" for the language.

I never knew that the film had been banned. I remember seeing it on television when I was quite young. I was probably in my late teens when I saw it putting the date around the early 80s.

Last edited by AliceI (March 14, 2013 9:54 am)

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

March 14, 2013 4:37 pm  #151

I would reiterate that the film is definitely an 18 certificate here in the UK.

March 14, 2013 4:57 pm  #152

Good but violent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 14, 2013 7:04 pm  #153

Blood Diamond. This film is like a car accident - you're shocked but you have to keep watching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 14, 2013 9:07 pm  #154

Blood Diamond is an excellent film. Today I watched what has become a cult classic Donnie Darko. This stars a young Jake Gyllenhaal. It is a fantasy film which revolves around his character as a disturbed teenager who starts to see the apparition of a weird rabbit. The film plays with the concept of time. It has a 15 certificate here. It is a great movie. Has a good solid cast, great script and storyline.

March 14, 2013 10:39 pm  #155

CLOCKWORK is a fine film but nowhere near my Kubrick favorite. I much prefer 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, DR.STRANGELOVE, THE SHINING, FULL METAL JACKET and even EYES WIDE SHUT. For some reason Clockwork never hit me as hard is it hits many people. I like its technical aspects more than the narrative and characters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

March 15, 2013 7:02 am  #156

Goodness gracious, I forgot he directed those!
I love the SPACE films.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 16, 2013 11:42 am  #157

I agree about the technical aspects. Groundbreaking for the time.

I watched In Bruges last night on girlie's recommendation. Stars Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. This is a very good film. It is extremely funny, utterly tragic and brilliantly acted throughout. It is lovely to hear Colin and Brendan speaking in their own voices (lovely Irish accents) and Ralph does a great South London accent. Bruges is also a star in this film, a fairytale city (despite Colin's character hating it)- the film itself is something of a modern fairytale in many ways. Thoroughly recommended!

March 27, 2013 7:19 pm  #158

Cinema I saw Identity Thief last Saturday.. and at home on Sunday watched Iron Man (now wanting number 2 so can see No3)

Bring on STID though... mmmmm Star Trek and Benedict :D

------------------------------------------------
Twenty-something Sherlockian with Whovian traits of a Christopher Eccleston kind. 

March 29, 2013 3:52 pm  #159

Centurion. An epic tale based upon the legend of the Ninth Legion. Gruelling filming in the Highlands of Scotland. Rather graphic violence, but then these were violent times and violent events. Great scenery. I really liked this film which has some of my favourite actors in it: Dominic West, Michael Fassbender and Liam Cunningham.

You can see the actors were freezing in the snow scenes, no acting needed in -14 degrees in tunics.

The DVD has  some great extras with interviews (some funny bits here) out-takes (some of these are hilarious, especially the trip and forward roll whilst running across the heather), deleted scenes etc.

April 1, 2013 7:43 pm  #160

Warm Bodies: Good movie! Way better than I expected. The humor is great

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

Board footera