BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2013 5:01 pm  #301

Re: Discussions on the John and Sherlock relationship

No I mean why not just have them live sepataetley from the start?
Ok, so ACD needed his characters house sharing, so they could go on their adventures together.
Do we think he just marreid watson off for propriety's sake?  Or may he just fell in love.
I suppose it's more unrequited love with Irene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 31, 2013 5:07 pm  #302

well because that would be inconveniant for the stories

I doubt his aim was to portray an intentionally sympathetic male relationship. If this is what he knowing did I'd say it would have been more a case of finding it dramatically useful to have them sharing a house and then, knowing that there were logical possibilities there, not caring too much that that was how people interpreted it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 1, 2013 2:03 pm  #303

I'm not sure about their relationship. Martin Freeman himself described it as the 'gayest story in the history of television'. I guess when it was written it was more sociably acceptable for men to have many male friends, and now people just assume it's gay. I think the show is explain their complex relationship, but people nowadays are more aware of sexuality, so instantly assume things are either gay or heterosexual. 

April 1, 2013 2:14 pm  #304

I actually thought Martin had made that comment about The Canon and he was also obviously being amusing.
He made it quite clear on the recent Graham Norton show, that Sherlock and John are not a couple.
The other thing is the obvious point that just cos people see something in a show, doesn't mean it's actually there.
I do also find it a tad amusing that sometimes comments suggest the show is made in a  vacuum.  There are copious amounts of audio/visual/written interviews with both writers and actors.  After all, they are the ones who know.
No opinion is fact.Possibly other people are like me and can't always rememebr the interview they heard/read/saw something.But if we at least try and reference our comment to these.The DVD commentaries are a good place to start...
Tho I confess, I don't always agree with what's said on those!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 1, 2013 3:40 pm  #305

I wonder why so many people refer to interviews and statements outside the show when it comes to this. So far the show consists of 2x3 episodes, plus the pilot. There are several people involved in creating it, who all have their own interpretations and opinions, which might be quite different from one person to the next. For the viewer it should be possible to interpret what is shown without asking the writers, actors or anybody else for their opinions. And of course people can come to different conclusions when interpreting what they see. It's certainly an interesting discussion and funny to see how different people's perceptions can be, but it should not be about who is right and who is wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

April 1, 2013 4:05 pm  #306

I agree entirely and sorry(to sound like I'm speaking from the party manual!), but this is exactly what those involved have said.
They present us with their vision, but we are free to see what we want in it.

Last edited by besleybean (April 1, 2013 8:39 pm)

April 1, 2013 8:36 pm  #307

Ha well this comes down to arguments about creativity, about ownership of a show which is itself a fanfic as much as anything else. It also assumes that the writers necessarily know this stuff in advance-anyone who has written a story knows that sometimes your characters do surprising things. Writers aren't machines, things come out of their heads that they didn't know was there and that they don't notice is there til someone else joins the dots for them. Writing is partly letting your subconscious speak. 

This question of creative ownership, of whether the collective understanding of the fans or the intention of the writers is more important, and whether there is even one single truth when it comes to interpreting a work of fiction-well if there were easy answers to that then Eng Lit degrees would not exist. Its a pretty debated topic throughout all academia dealing with literature that exists to some degree as a mythology, so everything that ordinary people interact with and form their own understandings and dialogue of.

At the end of the day, on one level it is a tv show. And its probably best to remember that. Its just a bit (a lot) of fun. But its also, for me, very, very interesting to look at how these writers have interpreted this work of literature that I love-how they have reinterpreted Sherlock Holmes for the present day, what they have decided to keep and what falls away and what they see as the essence of the stories. At the end of the day, to me, fanfic, including the Sherlock show, is one of many dissertations on the original writings. Some people interact with the work by producing their own literature, others by producing monologues. Its all really interesting. But I don't think any of them have a monopoly on the truth of it. At the end of the day even the interviews with the writers and actors come down to their interpretation of what they think they have done. (sorry this is a bit philosophical late at night! avoiding work here!)

But I do absolutely maintain that what the writers are doing in a lot of cases is putting the debate on the table. What they are putting up for our consumption is not easy answers but the debate itself. 

Last edited by beekeeper (April 1, 2013 8:43 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"

April 1, 2013 8:41 pm  #308

No need to apologise, I quite agree.
And as I said, I even disagree with some of the things both actors and writers have said!

April 1, 2013 8:45 pm  #309

Very well said, beekeeper. From my own experience I know that people sometimes interpret or perceive things I have written or characters I have created in quite a different way. It is a strange feeling when a work of fiction gets a life of his own but there you are. The moment you make it available to the public, be it as a film or novel, it becomes independent of you. And of course that happens with Sherlock as well. And in this case a lot more people and their individual views and interpretations are involved than in writing a novel which usually is done by one person alone. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 1, 2013 9:00 pm  #310

and, you know, I think it is entirely a compliment when people reinterpret your stuff. I mean as long as they are not using it to justify something awful but I've never seen a hint of that in the Sherlock community. My guess is that the writers, as fanboys, certainly prefer this situation to nothing being discussed or debated or written.

Last edited by beekeeper (April 1, 2013 9:01 pm)

April 1, 2013 9:08 pm  #311

And BBC Sherlock has taken people back to The Canon, which is what Mark and Steven really wanted.

June 22, 2013 11:12 pm  #312

Just found this...take note of the last point on the page

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/HoYay/Sherlock

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

June 22, 2013 11:52 pm  #313

kittykat wrote:

Just found this...take note of the last point on the page

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/HoYay/Sherlock

Haha! Awesome, just...awesome 

-------------------------------------------------------

June 23, 2013 12:09 am  #314

Those who believe there is a Sherlock/John relationship (or even a possibilty of one someday) will never be able to see anything else-- thsoe two were made for each other. Once a Johnlocker, you are marked as one for life.

OTOH, those who believe there is no Sherlock/John relationship (or even a possibility of one someday) will never be able to see that anything could ever be any different than what we're shown in BBC canon-- what you see is what you get, and if we aren't shown them hugging and kissing, then there can be no hugging and kissing, there never will be, and as far as those fans are concerned, there never should be.

I call it wearing my slash glasses. Mine have been welded to my face for more years than I'd care to say. So when I see those two hot men exhibiting the kind of chemistry their actors have given them, there's only one conclusion I can come to: Johnlock forever.

June 23, 2013 1:08 am  #315

Amen to that!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

June 23, 2013 2:37 am  #316

ancientsgate wrote:

Those who believe there is a Sherlock/John relationship (or even a possibilty of one someday) will never be able to see anything else-- thsoe two were made for each other. Once a Johnlocker, you are marked as one for life.

OTOH, those who believe there is no Sherlock/John relationship (or even a possibility of one someday) will never be able to see that anything could ever be any different than what we're shown in BBC canon-- what you see is what you get, and if we aren't shown them hugging and kissing, then there can be no hugging and kissing, there never will be, and as far as those fans are concerned, there never should be.

I call it wearing my slash glasses. Mine have been welded to my face for more years than I'd care to say. So when I see those two hot men exhibiting the kind of chemistry their actors have given them, there's only one conclusion I can come to: Johnlock forever.

Heh, you have just earned yourself an epic post medal! 

-------------------------------------------------------

June 23, 2013 2:58 am  #317

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

Heh, you have just earned yourself an epic post medal! 

I will wear it proudly.
It's easy to pontificate about His Fineness and His Other Fineness, especially when they're busy being Their Fineness.

Last edited by ancientsgate (June 23, 2013 2:59 am)

June 23, 2013 7:35 am  #318

Actually, I completely disagree with you.
Well, what I really mean by this.is that your analysis may be true for some, but it isn't right for me.
I am perfectly capabe of holding a number of different views at once, with no cognitive dissonance.
I also judge by what we are given.
Canon: I don't know how well any of us know the mind of Conan Doyle, so I just look at what he writes in his stories.
Watson is married, I believe with children. Holmes is single, with the only one mention of The Woman.
Now obviously we have to be aware of the Victorian mores and Doyle's Scottish heritage etc,
But I don't think we need to see any more than there is:  Doyle writes the perfect example of the most beautiful, closest and loving male friendship I have seen.  It is a delight to behold.
BBC Sherlock appears very confusing at 1st view.Most obviously from Sherlock's position, because like John, after the Angelo's converstaion- we're still left wondering. But the following episodes seem to confirm Sherlock to fit with what is genuinely assumed about Canon Holmes: he's possibly asexual.
That is until the appearance of Irene Adler.  This is where I tend to part company with the BBC team.  All concerned seeme to think there was some attraction between Sherlock and Irene and Benedict has stated that he sees this in The Canon.  I obviously have to accept how actors/writers say they play the part. I confess I don't agree with Benedict on Canon, but maybe as a straight male, he better understands Conan Doyle.
I am not a gambling person and even if I was, I wouldn't be reckless.  But metaphorically speaking, I would be prepared to bet my life on our seeing John married in Season 3.
I have written 1 pathetic attempt at fanfic.  It is asexual for Sherlock and John, but I do have other,gay characters in it.
I don't generally read fanfic, tho beta for 1 writer. I have no problem with Slash fic in general and certainly have no objection to the Johnlock stuff.
Likewise with the Slash fanart. No problem with it at all. Even if I don't agree with some of the pairings!
But don't expext to see any of it replicated in BBC Sherlock.
We are not in Victorian Britain.
We live in the 21st century, technological and celebrity age.
We are capable of hearing, reading  and seeing what the BBC Sherlock team feel about their interpretation of Canon.
In fact, we have posted on this very forum, the fullest, most up to date presentation of those views.
It boils down to this:  they have no problem with either fan art ort fanfic either.  But don't expect to see it in BBC Sherlock.
Do not confuse your canon, with that of Gatiss/Moffat.

Last edited by besleybean (June 23, 2013 7:39 am)

June 23, 2013 10:18 am  #319

besleybean wrote:

....But metaphorically speaking, I would be prepared to bet my life on our seeing John married in Season 3

I avoid spoilers like the plague, but I agree with you. 100%. And if that (the marriage) does happen, I can't wait to see how the writers and actors handle it. Endlessly fascinating. But then, I think they're all endlessly fascinating, and I'm always interested in the characterizations of both Sherlock and John.

I don't generally read fanfic, tho beta for 1 writer. I have no problem with Slash fic in general and certainly have no objection to the Johnlock stuff

I think reading Johnlock fic feeds the slash beast. heh The more one reads of it, the more and more the whole thing seems plausible, especially in the hands of mature, skilled writers. In its own way, fan fic, whether gen or slash, is as creative and soul-satisfying as the BBC canon on which it's based, for those who enjoy it. But what I mean is, once someone becomes interested in the intellectual idea of Johnlock, reading some good fan fic will only support the idea of it. And then it can become like a cycle wherein the more you read, the more convinced you get, so the more you read, etc. It's much like being a space explorer-- life on Mother Earth was wonderful and complete, but oh, look at the wonders to behold out here in these new places!

But don't expext to see any of it replicated in BBC Sherlock.

Nope. Me either. And you know what, I really don't want to see it. Given the choice of whether or not to see it, I would vote no, mostly because I'd be afraid I wouldn't like how it was handled and that would ruin the fantasy for me.

We are not in Victorian Britain. We live in the 21st century, technological and celebrity age

As well as in an age in which people feel more free to engage in sexual expression that was not spoken of, much less indulged in, in polite society back in ACD's day. There were gay folks back then, but they had to stay well-closeted. I imagine there were lots of people, especially a majority of women, who went to their graves in those days never even realizing that there was such a thing as a gay relationship of any kind.

.....Do not confuse your canon, with that of Gatiss/Moffat.

Fan fic canon is actually called fanon. Maybe little kids (teens) who are into fanon get them confused, but most of us are fully aware of what is what and who is who and how the two will not meet. And that's okay. We are all free to indulge in fanon or not, and I celebrate that fact-- that's what makes the world go 'round, that we can dive into fanon and eat it up, or abstain. Freedom of choice. And I don't think the vast majority of us are confused about anything.

June 23, 2013 10:24 am  #320

1.  Thank you for introducing me to 'fanon'  I love it.
2.  I entriely agree with your ' self fulfilling prophecy' analysis.

Board footera