BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2013 9:34 am  #21

Re: we don't see the pavement where Sherlock lands....

besleybean wrote:

Because surely that defeated the whole point of him jumping?  The snipers had to believe he was dead, to save his friends...and thi is b----y Easter!

I can´t say how or why, but I thought sometimes that John´s sniper out of his perpective could see what really happened. Because I think that he´s in St. Barts (or looks from St. Barts side) and has a clear view on what is going on. But I am not really good with perspectives, maybe he is somewhere else. If I am right though, it would be at least along the canon and Moffat/Gatiss will have an explanation for not having shot John then .

March 31, 2013 9:40 am  #22

Unlesss something worse than death happens...maybe Sherlock is ' punished ' some other way.  Possibly he does become a complete pariah to society.  I will be very disappointed if John  gives up on him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 31, 2013 9:54 am  #23

beekeeper wrote:

What I'm saying is that without the laundry truck there to conceal the fact his fall was broken (and physics says it must have been), both the sniper and John would have seen that his fall was broken. So that is the purpose of the truck-concealment. But I think it has a secondary purpose also, perhaps, which is to provide a reason to have laundry bags or whatever it was out on the ground to cushion his fall. 

About the sniper I am not sure, I think he´s somewhere on the St. Barts side and he could see everything (also very likely that Sherlock survived).- see my answer at Besleybean, but again, I am not good with perspectives....
But I am sure that John can´t see anything, whether there is the truck or not. The small house provides his view, the bicycle driver gives additional time. I stood there, you see nothing from at least 10 metres over the pavement. The truck would not be necessary to protect John´s view, I am nearly sure that it has something to do with surviving the fall. Whatever.

beekeeper wrote:

The second issue is that if you watch the dvd you see he falls from the left (Barts side) into the frame. The truck is on the right(pavement side).

Til here I understand/agree.

beekeeper wrote:

Unless there is some seriously nifty driving going on, he must have fallen from an object on the Barts side not the pavement/road.

I have to watch it again, but I see him falling from the right side onto the pavement, so from the side of the truck. But I am not sure now, cuts are a tricky thing.... Thanks for explaining again, I understand now.

beekeeper wrote:

Re the sniper, yes he saw Holmes survived in canon, agreed, but it was a different set up entirely. Holmes was the one the sniper was pointed at (and he was the one shot at) not John. So he was risking his own life. I think thats really just a point of difference between the films and canon, tbh, or else there is another sniper (Moran?) aimed at Sherlock.

I don´t know, I just think it´s one possibility, that the sniper saw what happened. Because it´s along the canon and there could be an explanation later....

Last edited by anjaH_alias (March 31, 2013 10:00 am)

March 31, 2013 10:03 am  #24

besleybean wrote:

Unlesss something worse than death happens...maybe Sherlock is ' punished ' some other way.  Possibly he does become a complete pariah to society.  I will be very disappointed if John  gives up on him.

He believes in Sherlock Holmes.

March 31, 2013 10:05 am  #25

Yeah, so he said...but John says lots of things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 31, 2013 10:47 am  #26

Hey, why so pessimistic ? Is it because of the headbutt or other spoilers?

March 31, 2013 11:27 am  #27

Actually on other threads there have been discussions that all of this may have been orchestrated by Mycroft and Sherlock was simply obeying orders. So John's fate is just an unfortunate side effect.

March 31, 2013 12:58 pm  #28

I can´t believe that Sherlock is simply obeying orders. He is - normally - not doing anything what he doesn´t like to do. And the fall is mainly to save his friends - one can see that he doesn´t want it, that he tries to avoid that. But in the end he had to do that, he had to sacrifice himself, "become a hero" and he was prepared for the worst.
But there might be other obligations in the background, an IOU perhaps in another dimension (Sherlock owes Mycroft something?), so that he has to disappear for a while. I don´t know, I´d like to see it soon.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (March 31, 2013 3:33 pm)

March 31, 2013 1:48 pm  #29

Still many months away, I'm afraid.

Last edited by besleybean (March 31, 2013 7:35 pm)

March 31, 2013 6:25 pm  #30

yeah...no don't agree Sherlock would be following Mycroft's orders. No that would not be good drama. Also not canon. He jumps to save, mainly, John and Mrs H (and weirdly, Lestrade whose name he doesn't know an episode ago). The entire point is that he doesn't jump for self interest but to echo the "heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them,", line - he is being a hero. Acting on orders for the good of the British state isn't heroic, at least not to many Brits in this day and age. This is, after all, Sherlock who is happy to go to Buckingham palace without his underpants on.

Last edited by beekeeper (March 31, 2013 6:26 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

March 31, 2013 9:09 pm  #31

beekeeper wrote:

yeah...no don't agree Sherlock would be following Mycroft's orders. No that would not be good drama. Also not canon. He jumps to save, mainly, John and Mrs H (and weirdly, Lestrade whose name he doesn't know an episode ago). The entire point is that he doesn't jump for self interest but to echo the "heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them,", line - he is being a hero. Acting on orders for the good of the British state isn't heroic, at least not to many Brits in this day and age. This is, after all, Sherlock who is happy to go to Buckingham palace without his underpants on.

Don´t misunderstand: I absolutely agree with everything you said about the fall itself: There were no orders, he jumped to save the lives of his friends. But the whole TRF, everything around Moriarty, seems to be planned long time in advance. And, if so, I think Mycroft is in as well. I can´t remember Sherlock doing something which he didn´t want to do. On the one hand. On the other hand Mycroft always got from him what he wanted. In the end at least. I think somehow they are more connected than we know. And Mycroft has his hands in a lot of secret service stuff.
BTW: What exactly are secret service rings?

Last edited by anjaH_alias (March 31, 2013 9:11 pm)

April 1, 2013 10:14 am  #32

http://ibelieveinmycroft.tumblr.com/post/29837254282/anonymous-asked-you-you-may-have-already-answered more about the rings

We don't know what they are. But in the UK its unusual to wear a wedding style ring on the right hand. It is worn now by two people with certain subferterge connections (Mycroft and Anthea) and now this other person who is probably a fake medic, so I'm thinking there is something going on. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

Board footera