BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2012 3:46 pm  #1

221B- Starrett poem

I went back to this poem to explain John's blog counter to a friend who watched aSiB this weekend.  This line jumped out at me this time:

"Only those things the heart believes are true."

I've said before that John's head knows that Sherlock is dead, but his heart believes differently. 

I'm not trying to say that the explanation will be simplistic or sentimentalized, just saying that I love the way that Moffett/Gatiss make the effort to bring all Sherlockiana into their show. 

221B

Here dwell together still two men of note
Who never lived and so can never die:
How very near they seem, yet how remote
That age before the world went all awry.
But still the game's afoot for those with ears
Attuned to catch the distant view-halloo:
England is England yet, for all our fears—
Only those things the heart believes are true.

A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
As night descends upon this fabled street:
A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
And it is always eighteen ninety-five.

By Vincent Starrett

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 30, 2012 5:29 pm  #2

Re: 221B- Starrett poem

I really love this poem. And your idea appeals to me 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 30, 2012 6:43 pm  #3

What a nice thought, Fetch.

March 12, 2013 11:24 am  #4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 12, 2013 4:47 pm  #5

Very true.   And I haven't come across/remembered that poem in a good long while, so was very nice seeing it again.... loved it.  And I quite love how he only mentions a couple clues, but we all know who he's referring to, even without the title.  It just lends a really nice... what would you call it... poetic, soft subtlety.   Thanks, again... 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 13, 2013 8:50 pm  #6

Here dwell together still two men of note
Who never lived and so can never die:

AMEN!

I have that quote on a badge with a picture of BBC Sherlock and John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 1, 2013 8:42 am  #7

And I haven't come across/remembered that poem in a good long while, so was very nice seeing it again.... loved it. 

October 7, 2013 6:33 pm  #8

Can I add that Vincent Starrett wrote one of the all time best Sherlock Holmes pastiches? I'm trying to remember what its called..but if you are reading a compilation of Sherlock Holmes "further adventures" and you see one by Vincent Starrett, make rapidly for it. Its out of print afaik but shows up on collections.

Last edited by beekeeper (October 7, 2013 6:33 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

Board footera