BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2013 6:00 am  #261

Re: Doctor Who

My kids can't find too much that they like about the classic Doctor Who. The technology is the problem as someone else pointed out, but for me I grew up watching that kind of TV because there wasn't anything else. Those old shows where the space ships were models on strings didn't bother me because that is what was available back then.

I fell in love with Doctor Who because of the stories. I actually described it to friends as something that looked like it was made in someone's garage, but that campiness is also what gave the show its charm. If you compare classic Doctor Who to the old Star Trek series the "special effects" weren't much better. Remember Lost in Space? Those “special effects” were as bad if not worse than Doctor Who but every kid in my school would rush home to watch the program when it was on.

I grew up in the 60s so to me those old shows have a strong nostalgia. I am glad that these classic shows have been updated to interest our children. I never thought my kids would be Whovians, but they are; all three of them LOVE Doctor Who. They also really like the new Sherlock where the older versions held no interest for them.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

March 26, 2013 7:10 am  #262

Ummm what does this have to do with Doctor Who? 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

March 26, 2013 7:27 am  #263

Wrong bleedin thread...how awake am I?
Hang on!
Feck, won't let me copy and paste...will just have to lose whole post, am not typing all that again.

Last edited by besleybean (March 26, 2013 7:30 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 26, 2013 9:56 am  #264

Sparrow wrote:

Ummm what does this have to do with Doctor Who? 

To what are you refering? The post just before yours is one that I put up about why the old Doctor Who may have been campy and had poor special effects but was still well loved so I guess your comment must be about something else.

March 26, 2013 1:46 pm  #265

I was referring to besleybean's post, which has now been edited, so just ignore my comment.

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."

March 26, 2013 2:08 pm  #266

Who is/are your favorite Doctor(s) and why?

Who is/are your favorite companion(s) and why?

OOps forgot to answer my own question.

Favorite classic Doctor - Tom Baker because he approached the role with a sense of whimsy.
My all time favorite Doctor however is David Tennant. He had a bit of that same Tom Baker whimsical boyishness, but he was also hard from his time fighting the time war and losing his entire race. What I really liked about him was his progression of the character. He went from a man who could give no second chances to a man who never would. I recently watched that first episode with him back to back with his two part goodbye and the difference is striking, but natural in a way.

As for companions I know that Rose is the general favorite of most folks and while I liked her well enough she was far from my favorite.
I really liked Donna because she was not in any way interested in The Doctor romantically. There was too much of that sort of thing with many of the other companions. Not everyone must fall in love with The Doctor.
I LOVED Captain Jack Harkness. He was falling for everyone regardless of sex or race. He was dashing, gorgeous, and full of himself in a good way.
Martha was okayish, but once again we have the damsel thing going on. Two of my favorite episodes were Human Nature and Family of Blood and she was okay in those episodes except for the falling in love with him bit.
Of all the companions Amy and Rory as a couple are IMO the best companions The Doctor has ever had. The changes we see in all of the characters as they interact was stunning. Rory takes the cake for best character development of any character in Doctor Who history IMO. They are the best because they stand on their own. They are not dependent on The Doctor, if anything it is the other way round. Rory is the only companion to chin the Doctor that I can ever remember, although Jackie slapping him was pretty awesome!
I like companions who have their own personalities and who can and do challenge The Doctor. He needs that in order to develop his own character.

Last edited by AliceI (March 26, 2013 2:26 pm)

March 26, 2013 10:50 pm  #267

Who is/are your favorite Doctor(s) and why?
My favourite is 11. Although to be fair I have only experienced the new series and I loved all that I have seen.

Who is/are your favorite companion(s) and why?
Can all be an answer again? I really liked Rory. And Amy too but if I can only pick one I would pick Rory the Roman!

================================================================

March 27, 2013 4:05 am  #268

Sparrow wrote:

Aww…  hi Four!  ;D

And yeah… it's interesting what a difference there is, or people like some of us here who found it too odd/campy, but loved the new ones instead.  I doubt I want to undertake tackling all the old series, but maybe go back at some point to try a few with Four and Five, who honestly seemed the funnest of the old Doctors.  I get you with the focus towards 'not skipping around', but if just wanting to try a little bit to know what this or this Doctor was like, asides from major history, it seems to be the kind of show that much more lends itself to being able to jump in to any one separate adventure/episode, no?

As far as current ones go, though…..  boy… I think everyone was wonderful.  Introducing us to the Doctor again with someone not too old or young or model-ish looking and portraying someone coming back to the world after everything… I think Eccleston was so great for that… a bit rough and angry but still exuberant, for us to excitedly fall back in with the adventures again.  Of course… a companion like Rose didn't hurt….  ;P  ;P  (don't get me wrong, I loved her, but she was definitely a 'fan's companion' often).  I'm with the other commenter… my soft spot is for the non-romantic/headstrong/best friend Donna or Amy/Rory (they count together, c'mon!)    And Jack/River mixing things up.  Oii… seriously, Jack.  ;P  ;)   And as much as I slowly warmed to him, while Eleven was fantastic at showing range over the series, Ten will always be 'my' doctor…  ;)

I can't wait to see what they do with the similarly spunky Clara and her hopefully uniquely awesome story...

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 27, 2013 8:52 am  #269

I am so not going to try to reply to that. I'm surprised I even had enough patience to read through it. 

Three

March 27, 2013 9:51 am  #270

Russell wrote:

And yeah… it's interesting what a difference there is, or people like some of us here who found it too odd/campy, but loved the new ones instead. I doubt I want to undertake tackling all the old series, but maybe go back at some point to try a few with Four and Five, who honestly seemed the funnest of the old Doctors. I get you with the focus towards 'not skipping around', but if just wanting to try a little bit to know what this or this Doctor was like, asides from major history, it seems to be the kind of show that much more lends itself to being able to jump in to any one separate adventure/episode, no?

That is true actually. The classic series was far less 'seriel' in nature without the long story arcs we see today.

Russell wrote:

As far as current ones go, though….. boy… I think everyone was wonderful. Introducing us to the Doctor again with someone not too old or young or model-ish looking and portraying someone coming back to the world after everything… I think Eccleston was so great for that… a bit rough and angry but still exuberant, for us to excitedly fall back in with the adventures again. Of course… a companion like Rose didn't hurt…. ;P ;P (don't get me wrong, I loved her, but she was definitely a 'fan's companion' often). I'm with the other commenter… my soft spot is for the non-romantic/headstrong/best friend Donna or Amy/Rory (they count together, c'mon!) And Jack/River mixing things up. Oii… seriously, Jack. ;P ;) And as much as I slowly warmed to him, while Eleven was fantastic at showing range over the series, Ten will always be 'my' doctor… ;)

I can't wait to see what they do with the similarly spunky Clara and her hopefully uniquely awesome story...

That is an interesting take on Eccleston. I never cared for him much as The Doctor, but maybe he is the right actor to bring The Doctor - scared from the Time War - back into the hearts of humans after the long break.

March 28, 2013 7:10 am  #271

Two

March 29, 2013 6:56 pm  #272

One

Correction, In one day he shall come back, yes he shall come back.

Last edited by Sparrow (March 29, 2013 8:39 pm)

March 29, 2013 7:03 pm  #273

I remember One!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 29, 2013 7:35 pm  #274

So do I! Oops...age give away! I was a babe in arms!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 29, 2013 7:40 pm  #275

Me too!

March 30, 2013 12:09 am  #276

One day and counting! I've liked every New Doctor since 2005 though my heart will always belong to the Nineth as he was my intro to the show. Favorite companions..well I always liked the threesome teams. Amy/Rory/Doctor and Jack/Rose/Doctor. Still can't abide River Song but I liked her more as the mysterious archeologist and less of Melody Pond. 

As for old Who, I've only watched the first Doctor and loved him with Barbara and Ian. But Susan's many hysterical shreiks of 'Grandfather' make her my least favorite companions. I just love a show that can be goofy and random adventures every week and doesn't always take itself too seriously. 

March 30, 2013 4:58 am  #277

Fav doctor who would be david tennant,  hands down.   He's the one I first fell head over heals for.  I'm still wishing he hadn't left. 

Fav companions--Amy and Rory.   Rose was a dear,   Donna was  no-nonsense,  Martha was so- so, River Song was a treat in hi heels;  But Amy  and Rory  were my favs.  Too bad the weeping angels took them!!!   So  sad!!!!!  

ok   update  you  lot--  the S7  shows will air on BBC  all day tomorrow,  ending with the NEW  one  at  8 pm  USA  PST  time.  Called "The Bells of Saint John". Something wicked this way comes!!  

On  Sunday  March 31st,   the THIRD  doctor  Jon Pertwee?   is going to have HIS special.   3 hours long.   They  show  stars from the series  and steven Moffat  of course,  in the first hour,  and then the last 2 hours are the episodes where we get to see the doctor do his stuff.   NOTE--the third dr  who  is when they started airing in color,  so you are in for a treat  (and some eye candy,  may I say?)   Enjoy!!!

Last edited by sherlockskitty (March 30, 2013 5:03 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

March 30, 2013 8:57 am  #278

DOCTOR WHO TODAY!!! (although, I am jealous on you British people becuase I have to wait an extra hour to see it)

March 30, 2013 5:43 pm  #279

TV set to record the whole series. Countdown to 6.15 p.m. BBC 1 tonight! Whoop! Excited muchly! I will celebrate by having a nice cuppa tea in my Tardis mug.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 30, 2013 6:20 pm  #280

I'm watching!

Board footera