BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2013 3:05 pm  #1

Amanda Abbington confirmed by BBC

They're getting as bad at teasing as Moffat. And this from the Baker Street Babes:

http://bakerstreetbabes.com/amanda-abbington-joins-cast-of-sherlock-series-3/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 27, 2013 3:06 pm  #2

Re: Amanda Abbington confirmed by BBC

Keeping it in the family.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 27, 2013 3:18 pm  #3

March 28, 2013 1:56 pm  #4

Harry or Mary or...
Moftiss might trick us with the name used in outdoor scenes. They can easily change from Mary to Harry or vice versa in ADR. Better be prepared and don't believe anything. Remember: Make believe is their motto.

March 28, 2013 2:05 pm  #5

I like her, she's cool and funny. I found her crush on Andrew Scott so amusing.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 28, 2013 2:07 pm  #6

Be wrote:

Harry or Mary or...
Moftiss might trick us with the name used in outdoor scenes. They can easily change from Mary to Harry or vice versa in ADR. Better be prepared and don't believe anything. Remember: Make believe is their motto.

Remember the changing of characters' names in HOUND. Completely different to the original stories. That's what the writers do!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 28, 2013 2:14 pm  #7

Good idea. She can be a Mary Smith. Can she be a Mary Morstan without being "The Mary Morstan"?

March 28, 2013 2:16 pm  #8

I agree. Even Mary wouldn't necessary mean Morstan. It's Mofftiss were are talking about. B-)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 28, 2013 2:43 pm  #9

Yeah, even if she turns out to be A Mary, it doesn't neccessarily mean she's THE Mary. It could just be any character called Mary.

March 29, 2013 11:27 am  #10

Wouldn't she make a great Harry?

March 29, 2013 11:50 am  #11

If she was Harry she would make a female Watson.  Imagine that Sherlock helps himself with another Watson during a period of time when John is sulking because he is mad with Sherlock. Which would make fun of "Elementary". Like "Look, we can do you're own female-Watson on BBC.  And she can stick in the series. No need to kill her off.
How would Sherlock interact with Harry? We know that John and Harry don't get on. Never have. What would Sherlock's approach be towards her alcohol problem? Maybe something Sherlock can help with, too? Press some emotional buttons?
The interaction between Martin and Amanda as a loving couple is not a really challenging one when you look at it from an actor's perspective, isn't it?
I would rather like to see them in a row and coping with their relationship as siblings.

March 29, 2013 12:47 pm  #12

Newbie here. I know that most fans don't want her to be Mary Morstan but I think it could work. I could see John wanting someone in his life after Sherlock's death and finally deciding to settle down after his previous daliances. She also seems to be comfortable with Sherlock and at least in the spoilers doesn't treat her with distain like most of John's other girlfriends. In the canon, Mary knew Sherlock and knew John's love for their adventures. She was the most understanding wife ever- letting John go off with Sherlock at 11pm and not minding him running off without her at a moments notice. Why couldn't this Mary do the same? Have her in this episode-establish they are in a serious romance but Watson also craves cases with Sherlock. Then mention of her could be thrown in once and a while or maybe a small cameo. After all in the canon Sherlock and John are friends long after both of his wives die and I believe people can have feelings(whatever they maybe) for more than one person.

Then again, I'm not into the new fangled John/Sherlock slash and I don't believe they are each other's soul mates. 

But knowing the writers, Mary is named for a character that she is nothing like and the storyline will be 180 degrees different.

March 29, 2013 1:13 pm  #13

I don't want her to be Harry because I really want Catherine Tate to be Harry. But if for some reason (and I cannot think of a single good reason for that ;-) ) that were not possible, I think that would make an interesting plot twist.

But I do think, dramatically, John needs to have moved on and settled down and all the rest and he needs to be married to someone, really. TBH I don't see much dramatic tension in the idea that he's spent two or three years mooning around after Sherlock. My sense is that the story arc is really, mainly, not about Sherlock in some ways but John's journey. His person jouney from wounded war vet, of reintergration into society, the whole sexuality question that is kind of a joke but also very insistent. He's gone from a very regimented world in terms of both morality and ethics but also just having a structure round him and a clear sense of what is expected of him-and he loses that pretty much overnight when he is invalided out. The implcation is that he's pretty much cut himself off from society in order to join the army, including being estraged from his sister-and he has to reintergrate to this. His whole world, every part of it is shaken to the core by Sherlock and those few years after I think need to be about him consolodating this knowledge, this roller coaster he's been on. So he needs to do what most people in their forties do do, which is settling down, marrying, raising a family perhaps (they won't have kids though-too complex). To put it another way, given he's not disinterested in the ladies, and given that now Sherlock is out of the way and so not preventing him either emotionally or practicallly from committing, then unless the wildest slash dreams of tumblrs everywhere are about to be realised, he needs to be married (or long term relationship).

ETA to put it another way. John is Sherlock's foil. Without Sherlock, John is ordinary. (ish). So for dramatic constrast, we need to see John without Sherlock in the same way we saw Donna without the Doctor. Settled down a little. Knowing there is more out there. But getting on with life. (actually thaht's not a great comparison but John's a lot more personable than Donna)

Last edited by beekeeper (March 29, 2013 1:54 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

March 29, 2013 1:14 pm  #14

tardislass wrote:

Then again, I'm not into the new fangled John/Sherlock slash and I don't believe they are each other's soul mates. 

Not even each other's soulmates? If I remember correctly, the writers and actors consider Sherlock and John to be each others halves...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 29, 2013 1:29 pm  #15

One thing is certain - the relationship between John and Sherlock will never be destroyed. Not by any person who could get between them, not by any mistake they could make. Because that didn't happen in canon, and because it would be the end of the show. So if John gets married, his wife has to accept Sherlock as a part of his life, otherwise the marriage won't work for long. That was the mistake most of John's former girlfriends made - they didn't like Sherlock, they avoided him and wanted John to stay away from him as well. Sarah was an exception. A girlfriend or wife who gets along with Sherlock, maybe even helps him and John with the cases, could be a very likeable and interesting character.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

March 29, 2013 2:04 pm  #16

tobeornot221b wrote:

tardislass wrote:

Not even each other's soulmates? If I remember correctly, the writers and actors consider Sherlock and John to be each others halves...

I personally have trouble with the whole soulmates idea but I do see them as best friends and as close as brothers.

As for any wife for John, yes she will have to accept the role Sherlock has in his life and that he will be called away-much like a military or policeman's wife. But there are women like that who have their own lives and still have a happy marriage. With only three episodes any domestic affairs other than in 221B Baker Street will be downplayed. I like the idea of while Season 2 was Sherlock's arc, Season 3 will be John's arc and journey. I also agree that having John wallow in sorrow and grief and not trying to move on would seem OOC. He's a military man who can compartmentalize his feelings and move on if necessary. And I also feel that if Mary were to help John and Sherlock reconcile, Sherlock would have a perhaps grudging respect for her.  IMHO I can't see the writers letting Mary pretend to be nice to get to Sherlock since they used the same M.O. for Moriarty.

March 29, 2013 2:23 pm  #17

tardislass wrote:

I personally have trouble with the whole soulmates idea but I do see them as best friends and as close as brothers.

Now I'm curious. What's the difference between "best friends and as close as brothers" and "soulmates" for you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 29, 2013 4:27 pm  #18

Soul mates for me implies a romantic love and I see John feeling's towards Sherlock as being like his army platoon. That he'd die for Sherlock and they have a strong bond.

But usually my theories are wrong. I spent the hiatus last year thinking up elaborate ways of John and Sherlock escaping the bomb and look what happened. 

March 30, 2013 8:06 pm  #19

tardislass wrote:

That he'd die for Sherlock and they have a strong bond.

Interesting. That to me, is soul mates. I've never really considered it to be a romantic thing. Soulmates can be friends too without any soppiness involved.

Anyway, if we are to have a Mary Morstan, I'd love her to be a little bit bad ass, for Sherlock to like her and get along with her - and going off the few pictures and storyline hints that have been released (official ones), they appear to be working alongside each other in the first episode. I'd like her to be clever and intelligent and not take any shit and for Sherlock to be genuinely happy for John and for John to be totally in love and besotted by her.

I'd like her to be a really likeable character that all of the Sherlock fandom grow to love and respect over the course of Series 3, thereby making it even more heart wrenching when she is killed off during the finale of the third episode. Mwahahahaha. *evil Moffat grin*

March 31, 2013 10:13 pm  #20

This is from an interview last year:

Amanda: Yeah. But it would be great to be in it. I’d love to. Mary’s a great character.
Baker Street Babes: Yeah she is
Amanda: I was reading about her and she’s beautiful, and she does die.
Kristina: Good old TB.
Amanda: Yeah, it’s a fantastic character. But I don’t know what they’re going to do with that.
Ardy: It was a hypothetical question.

Board footera