BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2012 10:57 pm  #1

Firefly

I like Firefly, not one of my favorite show, but it had a great potential, too bad Fox hated it and decided to do whatever they could to ruin it. The mix of science-fiction and western can be weird sometimes, but they did it well. It's funny, they had great themes and I like River so much   : ). Anyone else likes it ?

Last edited by Milkomeda (June 2, 2012 10:58 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

December 13, 2012 6:51 pm  #2

Re: Firefly

I'm a huge Browncoat (Firefly fan for those not in the know ) and I really wish they hadn't cancelled it, but at the same time I'm kinda grateful. Firstly, if it hadn't been cancelled Nathan Fillion wouldn't be available to do Castle, which would suck, and also Joss Whedon has this sadistic love of killing characters and breaking fans' hearts. I've heard Moffat called the British Whedon, and vice versa. So basically he's as bad as Moffat at messing with fans' heads, and I'm glad that the series ended before all of our hearts were completely broken.

Does anyone know of any Firefly fan boards anything like this one? I tried finding one but I couldn't find anything. I'd love to be able to talk to Browncoats as much as I talk to Sherlockians.

Last edited by Jayie (December 13, 2012 6:51 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You're so nice
You're not good, you're not bad
You're just nice

I'm not good, I'm not nice
I'm just right
I'm the witch
You're the world" - The Witch, Into the Woods

December 13, 2012 11:10 pm  #3

I watched the first and only season last summer (because so many people in the internet had praised it) and I thought it was good but I didn't think it was one of the greatest science fiction shows like to many others. I really liked Fillion's performance as the witty captain who can be both witty and harsh, I liked Baldwin as the Han Soloish sidekick and the ladies were very pretty. I liked the theme song (written by Whedon himself if I'm not mistaken) and I liked the overall feel of the show which often felt like the live action version of COWBOY BEBOP. There were lots of interesting ideas in the show and I think I gave it 3,5 stars out of 5. Good little show. The feature film was OK as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

December 24, 2012 4:10 pm  #4

I really enjoyed firefly! I loved the movie and even cried a bit at the end, Wash was my favorite character! I didn't really like how they threw out grammar, I would have preferred if it had been more piratey less cowboy like....sorta... This is coming from a huge pirates of the Caribbean fan....

"That's what people DO!"

March 27, 2013 8:02 pm  #5

Moriarty wrote:

I really enjoyed firefly! I loved the movie and even cried a bit at the end, Wash was my favorite character! I didn't really like how they threw out grammar, I would have preferred if it had been more piratey less cowboy like....sorta... This is coming from a huge pirates of the Caribbean fan....

Wash was my favorite character too.  Joss always seems to kill my favorites characters: Tara, Wesley, Doyle, Cordelia, Fred, Wash, Book, Penny, Topher, Coulson.  He makes people love characters, then he kills them.  It probably comes from losing his mother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

March 28, 2013 11:08 am  #6

I am a fan of Firefly as well as the film Serenity although I preferred the series. Wash was my favorite character as well. What I liked most about the show was the interpersonal relationships. The ensemble cast had a good chemistry. It worked.

I didn't mind the way they spoke, I liked it actually. The idea of a science fiction - western seemed a little strange to me but after seeing the film I was interested in learning more about the characters so I rented it and watched the entire series.

There probably aren't too many fan sites for it because it had such a short life - although the show certainly took on an occult fanbase that is very loyal. Honestly if FOX hadn't tanked the program it would have done very well I think. 

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

Board footera