BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2013 9:01 pm  #1

Unusual behavior compilation

Hello my dear fellow detectives! I hope you'll read this and discuss it with me.

As most of you know Steven Muffat pointed out that there was one important clue which we all missed in our theories and which is something that Sherlock does which is out of character.
That is quite a while ago and maybe it has been found since. We don't know. Anyway I rewatched the movie paying close attention to everything that Sherlock sais and does and I wrote it all down plus some extra aspects that I noticed an just had to mention. I hope you can halp me making sense out of some of this, expecially one thing that bothers me in particulat. And maybe we can find the one important clue.

1. The first thing I notices was Sherlock's behaviour towards Kitty when they meet first. There are actually two untypicaly things about it: He is paying attention to her instead of ignoring her because she seems to be just an annoying fan. And he is particulary rude: "You repell me".
2. When Moriyrty visits him he sais: "I never liked riddles" so what is it he does all the time then?
3. When Molly tells him that he looks sad he akts atypical. He seems to be touched in some way, it's hard to describe, I just found is noticable. But then we already know that she is in there with him.
4. He sais "I'm not willing to play Moriarty's game" but then he does what Moriarty wants the whole time!
5. There are two parts when he gets quite loud which isn't like him, he normally stays calm all the time. The first time is when John denies that he has any doubts about Sherlock not being a fraud and secondly when they're in Moriarty's flat and he tells him to "Stop it!"
6. He doesn't talk while Moriarty is telling his "I'm an actor hired by you"-story. Not at all!
7. He doesn't ask Mycraft for help even though he probably would help and he did help in the past. (His excuse therfore is not convincing to me.)
8. „If I wasn’t everything that I think I am...“ That doesn't sound like the Sherlock who is always convinced that he is better than others and doesn't like not being himself!
9. Asking Molly for help.
10. On the rooftop (finally...) he act's like he doesn't know what will happen, but he knew, he said to Molly "I think I'm going to die". Especially after Moriarty killed himself he seems to be very nervous. And when he calls John he cries and seems to be very emotional. But we know from "The great game that he can fake emotions very convincingly.
11. The phone call he gives John. (I got this form another theory) Apparently he said in an earlyer episode that he preferes to text. But that it's hard to imagine Sherlock and John having this conversation in texts.
12. He talls John to "telll everyone (...) tell Molly" But Molly knows everything, she knows that he faked his death and helped him with that. So why?

There are more strange things which are related to John but I'll make an extra topic for that because this would get way too long otherwise. But please have a look at the other topic as well as it is the thing that really bothers me. As for this one, I'm finished so far. Tell me what you think about it, please!

And here are some extras for the ones who are not tired of reading:
1. On the wall in Kitty's flat it sais "Make believe" and that's just what she and Moriarty (and Sherlock?) try to do to John, isn't it?
2. "Unless my people see you jump" But how can Lestrade's and Mrs. Hudson's gunmen see Sherlock jump when they are miles away? How do they know he jumped when Moriarty is dead?

And at the very end I'll put a FUN FACT:
I know this because I am German: In German the word fall (Fall) has the same meaning as in English, but it does have another meaning as well. It can also mean "case" like the cases that Sherlock solves all the time! Which gives the words "I owe you a fall" an very interesting and funny ambiguity!

I hope you enjoyed this and I appologise for my spelling mistakes and for the length of this article, but I had to include all those things.
So please tell me your toughts and have a look at my other topic!

Myraya

Last edited by Myraya (February 26, 2013 4:45 pm)

February 20, 2013 10:20 pm  #2

Re: Unusual behavior compilation

Oh, what a pitty, I thought you've found the clue!
So nothing new so far.... (just take a look around here)

BTW: your first point; it was Kitty, not Molly. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 21, 2013 8:34 am  #3

With no. 12, I think the reason that Sherlock mentioned Molly as well as Lestrade and Mrs Hudson, was to cover for her in a way. It would be weird if he didn't mention her, and he doesn't want to John to suspect anything (yet)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

February 21, 2013 3:21 pm  #4

Mattlocked wrote:

Oh, what a pitty, I thought you've found the clue!
So nothing new so far.... (just take a look around here)

BTW: your first point; it was Kitty, not Molly.

I'm sorry. I know that most of this isn't new but I tought since one of those weird behaviours of Sherlock must be important it might be interesting to see them all at once.
I think I would be surprised if it was none of those because that would mean that I didn't understan Sherlock's character the right way.

And thanks for telling me about my mistake

March 27, 2013 4:26 pm  #5

"And at the very end I'll put a FUN FACT:
I know this because I am German: In German the word fall (Fall) has the same meaning as in English, but it does have another meaning as well. It can also mean "case" like the cases that Sherlock solves all the time! Which gives the words "I owe you a fall" an very interesting and funny ambiguity!"

German has been used a lot in the series too. Sherlock seems to be a German speaker. Its used to invert the Study in Scarlet clue (because that case was the opposite of revenge-it was truly senseless). So its interesting that it has the dual meaning there. I do think that the writers do play with this kind of thing in places actually.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

Board footera