BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2013 10:44 am  #1

Do you think having Sherlock the whole way through helped the episode?

In the book, Sherlock leaves for a good several chapters but in the BBC rendition, he is present pretty much the whole way through. Do you think this makes a difference on your experience of it? I remember really craving to see/hear about Holmes again & the mislead with the man on the moor was quite good. They missed an opportunity for that on the BBC version.

March 22, 2013 8:21 am  #2

Re: Do you think having Sherlock the whole way through helped the episode?

I read the The Hound of the Baskervilles a long time ago, but I don't think it would have been a good choice to have Sherlock gone in the episode. In the novel, it's one thing because it's a subjective narrative and when Holmes is not around Watson, he cannot know what he's doing. However, in the episode, the narrative is not subjective. We do see Sherlock and John apart from each other a lot in that episode, but they had to show us what both were doing. Otherwise, it would have just been sort of weird. 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

Board footera