BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2012 10:59 am  #21

Re: Is Moriarty dead?

Forget it – there’s no MOREiarty
He's dead says star Scott

SHERLOCK star Andrew Scott has ruled out returning from the dead in the BBC1 crime drama.

The Dublin-born actor played arch-villain Moriarty, who shot himself in the head at the end of the last series.

Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) also appeared to be killed after jumping from a roof in the conclusion to The Reichenbach Fall.

With the brilliant Baker Street detective known to have faked his own death, speculation has grown that his nemesis might also have survived.

Earlier this month Benedict spoke about the third series of Sherlock, due to be filmed early next year. He said: “It’s nothing without that dynamic between Holmes and Moriarty.�  But Andrew who won a Bafta this year for his portrayal, insists there will be no resurrection for the evil genius.

He said: “Moriarty is dead. I don’t think there could have been any better exit for a character like that.

“I feel very proud of Sherlock. Moriarty was a very potent character and one the audience really responded to.

“But it’s important to me that he doesn’t take over. You have to take risks and play as many different things as possible.�

For Andrew that includes the lead role in a new three-part ITV1 drama series called The Town.

In the series, which is due on our screens later this year, he plays an architect forced to return from London to his home town after a shocking family incident.

Andrew added: “It’s just nice to show a more human side.�

Sherlock has become a global hit since the modern-day take on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s consulting detective arrived on screen in 2010.

Created by Doctor Who supremo Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, it co-stars Martin Freeman as Dr John Watson.

Six feature-length episodes have been broadcast so far, with three more planned in the new series.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4618732/Forget-it-theres-no-MOREiarty.html#ixzz2BLRKNxJJ/

Last edited by Sherly (November 5, 2012 11:02 am)

November 5, 2012 4:37 pm  #22

Yeah I'd read this, but I knew he was dead anyway!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 15, 2013 6:17 pm  #23

I disagree. I think that would be a much more satisfying conclusion. In my view, Sherlock's Moriarty is over-acted, and over the top. The real threat and brilliance of Moriarty in the stories was the way he was in the shadows. His brilliance is undermined by the absurd dialogue and histrionics. 

I think it would be better if we find out that the Moriarty we've seen is just a puppet of the real Moriarty, but that's primarily because I was so disappointed by their rendering of him. 

kazza474 wrote:

No, that is just too bizarre & outlandish. The Moriarty we saw had all the traits he should have had. There is no other one,lol.

-- 
Sonnets are cool http://365daysofverse.com

February 15, 2013 6:44 pm  #24

It's been confirmed that he is dead - by Moftiss and Andrew Scott. New villians have been casted. Honestly, for me it was a real shock to learn that Moriarty's really dead, because I've always assumed that he was faking his death like Sherlock and that he would return for series 3. Oh well....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 15, 2013 6:47 pm  #25

To me, Moriarty was brilliant: spine-chilling, funny, uncalculable, drop-dead inventive, entertaining, insane and dangerous. And wonderfully played by Andrew Scott. Him just being "in the shadows" all the time (he was there until the pool scene!) would have been utterly booooring!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 15, 2013 6:50 pm  #26

tobeornot221b wrote:

To me, Moriarty was brilliant: spine-chilling, funny, uncalculable, drop-dead inventive, entertaining, insane and dangerous. And wonderfully played by Andrew Scott. Him just being "in the shadows" all the time (he was there until the pool scene!) would have been utterly booooring!

Agreed.... and now he's gone 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 15, 2013 8:00 pm  #27

Andrew Scott's portrayal of Moriarty must have been rubbish. Oh...hang on a minute...he won a BAFTA for this role...so maybe not. Remember he did not write the part, nor did he direct himself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 6, 2013 9:01 pm  #28

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I also heard that if Moriarty was dead, why would Sherlock have to tell John on the phone that he was a fake and all that..

To ease his grief?

-------------------
Are you local?

March 6, 2013 9:03 pm  #29

Because there is a sniper with a bullet aimed at John's head.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 6, 2013 10:52 pm  #30

besleybean wrote:

Because there is a sniper with a bullet aimed at John's head.

Agreed. He couldn't be sure who was listening.
Also I'm sure that John's reaction helps sell his death. If John knew and had to act upset that could be very deadly. We know Martin is a great actor but John might be a terrible one.

================================================================

March 7, 2013 8:14 am  #31

This is where it is useful to refer back to canon where, subsequent to Moriarty's death (yes, death!) Sherlock Holmes carries out other activities whilst living under pseudonyms, such as Sigerson. Meanwhile Doctor Watson believes Sherlock Holmes to be dead.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 7, 2013 1:41 pm  #32

I think he is dead. In the canon he dies and he shoots himself in front of Sherlock. If he weren't really dead, Sherlock would have been able to tell. Besides, it's one thing to fake jump off a building and something else entirely to fake blow your brains out.

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

March 7, 2013 2:23 pm  #33

So as not to confuse others, it might be better to say, "In the canon he dies. In the last episode of Season 2, he shoots himself."

Sparrow wrote:

I think he is dead. In the canon he dies and he shoots himself in front of Sherlock. If he weren't really dead, Sherlock would have been able to tell. Besides, it's one thing to fake jump off a building and something else entirely to fake blow your brains out.

-- 
Sonnets are cool http://365daysofverse.com

March 7, 2013 3:43 pm  #34

^Yes, thanks for pointing that out.

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

March 14, 2013 2:11 pm  #35

He is dead. In Canon, he dies at Reichenbach Falls.
This serie is full of indirect and non-obvious references, and that's why it's awesome and beautiful.
I think Sherlock predicted what was to come. HE has choosen the meeting site. He took the risk of dying in the fall (but there was a chance of being alive). As he falls, there was ER, ambulance. His brother can do whatever he wants, and his friend works with corpses.
Sherlock was very clear at phone with Watson cause there was a sniper, he left a note, everyone had to be sure.

March 21, 2013 4:02 pm  #36

I genuinely hope he is dead. I loved the character and the unusual interpreatation, but unlike some I admit, I really liked the poetry of his death showing just how obsessed with Sherlock he became. Having him fake his death would take away from that, and also really stretch the logic of the show, how on earth would Sherlock not pick up any hint when he's standing right in front of him on a bloody open roof-top?

March 21, 2013 4:22 pm  #37

KhalidKhan wrote:

I genuinely hope he is dead.

Me too.

And I think it would become a bit boring if there were too many faked deaths.

Last edited by AndyO. (March 21, 2013 4:22 pm)

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

March 21, 2013 6:13 pm  #38

Sadly, I don't doubt he is.

March 21, 2013 9:32 pm  #39

Yep.

March 21, 2013 9:40 pm  #40

Although I did dream he was alive last night. 

Board footera