BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2012 5:05 am  #1

Why Karachi?

After reading Longsnowsmoon's comments about the Karachi incident I stated wondering why Irene was there at all. Strange place to choose if what you're after is to be protected.

Irene overplays her hand and in the end loses the game and her protection - she claims to be helpless. However, Mycroft has commented earlier: "I wish our lot were half as good as you." 

I wonder if Mycroft offered her a deal: we'll give you a new identity if you infiltrate the terrorist network and help us to re-crack their communications system. They'll overlook the treason and murder if she takes the risk and uses her abilities to undo the damage she's caused.

What do you think?

June 1, 2012 6:04 am  #2

Re: Why Karachi?

Mm, possibly. It does seem rather a dangerous place to go and 'hang out' without her 'protection'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 1, 2012 6:18 am  #3

I'd assumed she was probably 'with a client'; after all she does hang out with some powerful people it seems. That's probably when she fell foul of the bad guys there; tried blackmailing the wrong person maybe?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 6, 2012 10:12 pm  #4

These unanswered questions that beg for further explanation are one reason I hold out hope that we have not seen the last of Irene and to a lesser extent Moriarty. I can very well see Irene working as a double agent and continuing to bedevil Sherlock. M&G must want us to at least think about the possibility or they would not have had Sherlock rescue her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 18, 2012 10:27 am  #5

I think the double agent theory is a great one.

June 18, 2012 11:32 am  #6

Irene didn't die or be jailed in the original; she left & lived a free life on 'the Continent'.
So there was no need to have her either jailed or dead in this adaptation; they stuck to the canon & allowed her to live.

She never made another appearance, but she was mentioned in passing in 3 other stories. So while the door is open , there's no necessity to bring her back.

I daresay the next series will bring an equally brilliant adversary for Sherlock, possibly just as or more tantalising in some way to those we have seen already. I don't doubt Moftiss's abilities in that area. Then fans will be asking for THAT one to come back, and on it goes.

I enjoyed Moriarty & Adler but I hope for something different next time.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2013 6:42 am  #7

double agent theory  is my favourite!!!

Board footera