BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2013 12:06 am  #41

Re: Sherlock perhaps a little overrated?

SusiGo wrote:

I'm aware of the fact that without ACD's creations we wouldn't be here today. But as with Shakespeare - and this is meant as a compliment - the wonderful thing is how the works last just because they are interpreted and adapted to the changing times again and again. 

I'm in agreement with you Susi.  The best artistic creations are those that are so good and strike the imagination so hard that they live across the centuries and continue to spark the imagination time and again. I have seen the most wonderful, brilliant adaptions and spin-offs of Shakespeare and have loved them all.  Nothing is lost to me because it is not the "original".  More often than not, I'm in awe of the new creativity.

I read all of the ACD canon when I was about 18 - and loved them.  But I love this new adaptation of Sherlock just as much. For the new Sherlock fans who may not have read canon, this show may be away of getting them inside the Big Top circus tent.  As a teacher, my husband always says, you have to lure them in. Once inside, who knows where they may decide to go from there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

March 19, 2013 12:43 am  #42

Jacco111 says:
The current revival of Sherlock Holmes is great, but the shadowside is that the real Holmes is being forgotten, he is replaced by Sherlock and Robert Downey Jr.

But--what is the real Holmes?  Isn't that all in the mind of whoever is thinking about Holmes?  ACD undoubtedly had one version in his mind but the joy of reading is that every reader can picture the story in her/his own way.  And no one can say that how one reader imagines the story--the setting and the characters--is any more correct than the way another person imagines it.

I remember reading one of the canon stories in school; I don't remember which one but it might have been The Sign of Four.  After becoming a Sherlock fan, I was interested in reading the canon so I started at the beginning.  I made my way through part of it but, frankly, got bored.  After watching and greatly enjoying the TV show, its fast pace and modern trappings were all I could picture--and all I wanted to picture, even though historical fiction is one of my favorite genres (along with mysteries).  For me, the Sherlock in Sherlock is the real Sherlock!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

March 19, 2013 7:43 am  #43

We are all Sherlockians. The only stipulation to being a Sherlockian is that you like Sherlock Holmes! :-)

And yeah, I don't think we have to worry too much. I'm sure there were people worrying about the same thing when the Rathbone series first came out, which were basically the BBC Sherlock of their day - a modern interpretation of Holmes, and we've done pretty well since then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 19, 2013 10:13 am  #44

You have a point, I agree that it's great that more people become interested in Holmes. I am just a bit of a purist ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

March 19, 2013 11:21 am  #45

Be wrote:

IMO, Sherlock is unique because of the camera work and the inventive script. This Sherlock is not just CSI Baker Street which would be boring. We have seen almost everything -CSI in american TV before.

That's it, exactly.  I don't watch television -  I've seen a few episodes of CSI and NCIS while visiting people, and yes, the plots are interesting, but nothing made me want to go home and buy the whole series.    I watched one episode of Sherlock and I was gone.

Be wrote:

In BBC Sherlock there are many layers to detect, double meaning and metaphors, funny puns and a puzzle that keeps the audience thinking about the plot and the relationships.
Sherlock made me and many people read the canon in english to get acess to the original Sherlock Holmes character.
I haven't seen anything like that in televison in my life.

I read some of the stories a while ago, and I enjoyed them, but they didn't grab me the way Tolkien or J K Rowling did.  Since watching Sherlock, I've picked up a complete volume and have been enjoying it a great deal.  I love to find the bits Moftiss have used in the series.  I particularly like seeing how they've adapted elements that wouldn't work today.  Sherlock himself had to change - as the forum has discussed in other threads, modern audiences would have difficulty with a drug user as the 'hero' and central character.  In other ways, they've remained quite faithful - I often find snippets of dialogue that were lifted right out of the books.

Truly, I don't think it was the cases that made Sherlock Holmes an icon - it's the character who has fascinated audiences for over a century, and the BBC interpretation is very close to the original, in my opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

March 19, 2013 2:50 pm  #46

Not only a modern Sherlock Holmes and Watson but also a younger version.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera