BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2013 7:28 am  #521

Re: Free Rants

He's a darling the rest of the time, very good with other dogs generally and never aggressive towards other people except when he has something he doesn't want to let go of. He generally let's my husband just take things from him though, so I think it's an alpha-male thing too. He's just been neutered, hopefully that might help.

Reading up on 'rage' a bit, it doesn't seem like that. It is more like resource guarding. He doesn't go crazy and launch a wild a furious attack for no apparent reason. He comes from an agility/field bloodline rather than a show bloodline and it's the latter that have had the inherited 'rage' problem.

Last edited by Davina (February 18, 2013 7:37 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 18, 2013 3:37 pm  #522

Oh Molly that's terrible I've heard that collies in particular have a reputation for turning a bit crazy the older they get... But really that could be applied to any dog. The owner of the dog is just lucky you're not suing her, I see people do so for much less! Nice to hear you got yourself looked at following the bite, rabies may be the worst of your worries but should not be the full extent of them. I wish you a swift recovery hun that must have been very frightening xx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

February 18, 2013 9:37 pm  #523

No rabies here in the UK, thankfully. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 19, 2013 11:02 am  #524

Davina wrote:

No rabies here in the UK, thankfully.

I worry about everything, even the impossible

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

February 19, 2013 2:42 pm  #525

Well it's not impossible of course, but we do have strict quarantine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 14, 2013 9:09 pm  #526

That's it I am having a bit of a virtual scream on this thread. 

There...I feel a bit better now!

March 14, 2013 9:12 pm  #527

what happened, Davina?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 15, 2013 1:24 am  #528

The last two days have been brutal. My seven year old is very sick right now. As he put it - he is sick at both ends.
Poor thing spent the entire day yesterday either throwing up or sitting on the toilet. He got so dehydrated that he could barely stand. The doctor looked him over and said we had a couple of options. We could take him to the ER and have him given IV fluids, and my reply was "What's behind door number 2?" The only other thing we could do was to re-hydrate him ourselves.

So for the last two days I have sat with him and using a shot glass I have given him one shot of 1/2 water 1/2 gatoraide every fifteen minutes.This has made for some extreamly long days becaue I work the night shift so I have had to use an egg timer to keep me on track for when I dosed off. He spiked a fever last night but not too high so as to worry. I just hope he starts getting better soon. He is so pathetic, listless, and quiet which is the polar opposite of what he is normally like. At least he was able to walk by the early evening hours today. Prior to that he was only able to crawl unless I supported almost all he wieght. Heck every time he stood up at all he would get so dizzy he'd just crumple to the floor.

Well I suppose I should quit bitching. I have to go to work now. He's sleeping so hopefully the morning will bring good news. 

PS: Just to see what he is normally like this is a link to a little tribute my eldest made for him.
http://imgur.com/gallery/Pudn6

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

March 15, 2013 7:18 am  #529

Sorry to hear that, Alice. Ghastly sickness, especially with children. My daughter used to wait too long when she was little and didn't make it to the bathroom in time. Not very funny.
I hope your son'll be better soon. And the photo series is very sweet.  So he wants to be half pirate, half cop? Does he know Sherlock? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 15, 2013 10:01 am  #530

SusiGo wrote:

Sorry to hear that, Alice. Ghastly sickness, especially with children. My daughter used to wait too long when she was little and didn't make it to the bathroom in time. Not very funny.
I hope your son'll be better soon. And the photo series is very sweet.  So he wants to be half pirate, half cop? Does he know Sherlock? 

I never realized that comparison! Funny.
That is actually his scouting uniform.

I'm sure he'll be fine because he is strong, but he freaked me out completely last night right before I left for work but after I posted my rant. I went to check on him and he was on the floor in my room. I'm not cool with that so I went to pick him up to take him to my bed and he had a sort of fit.
He went all rigid and started this high pitched screeching. I got him to calm down enough to let me lift him up, but then he got the worst bloody nose ever and he stared acting weird. He was reaching for things that weren't there and then the worst part was when he started talking. He wasn't speaking English! It sounded like a real language, but obviously it wasn't. It was totally freaky. He got upset when I didn't understand what he was saying, repeating the same syllables over and over.

It took almost 10 minutes for him to recognize any of us. This flipped me out a bit, but the ER doc I work with said that it was most likely due to dehydration. He had a slight fever no more than 99 so it wasn't fever induced delirium. I will be leaving for home in a few minutes. I hope he has turned the corner when I see him. Either way his doctor will be getting a call today. I should have just taken him to the hospital for the IV fluids. Now I feel like a bad mom.

March 15, 2013 10:09 am  #531

Don't. I'm sure you tried to do your best. I always tried to keep my children from hospital if it wasn't strictly necessary. 
I would have been terrified as well. Maybe getting him hydrated will help. I wish you and him all the best. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 15, 2013 4:41 pm  #532

AliceI wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I never realized that comparison! Funny.
That is actually his scouting uniform.

I'm sure he'll be fine because he is strong, but he freaked me out completely last night right before I left for work but after I posted my rant. I went to check on him and he was on the floor in my room. I'm not cool with that so I went to pick him up to take him to my bed and he had a sort of fit.
He went all rigid and started this high pitched screeching. I got him to calm down enough to let me lift him up, but then he got the worst bloody nose ever and he stared acting weird. He was reaching for things that weren't there and then the worst part was when he started talking. He wasn't speaking English! It sounded like a real language, but obviously it wasn't. It was totally freaky. He got upset when I didn't understand what he was saying, repeating the same syllables over and over.

It took almost 10 minutes for him to recognize any of us. This flipped me out a bit, but the ER doc I work with said that it was most likely due to dehydration. He had a slight fever no more than 99 so it wasn't fever induced delirium. I will be leaving for home in a few minutes. I hope he has turned the corner when I see him. Either way his doctor will be getting a call today. I should have just taken him to the hospital for the IV fluids. Now I feel like a bad mom.

It's hard to know what to do when they are sick. My son had those symptoms at age 2 and I was very pregnant with our daughter.  They wound up putting him on IV's at home for 2 or 3 days.  Is that and option for you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

March 15, 2013 5:06 pm  #533

Mountain Momma wrote:

It's hard to know what to do when they are sick. My son had those symptoms at age 2 and I was very pregnant with our daughter.  They wound up putting him on IV's at home for 2 or 3 days.  Is that and option for you?

No it really isn't. Adam is doing much better today. He is still weak but his spirits are better and he is sleeping a lot less. When I posted about the experience last night I was still kind of flipped out. 

March 16, 2013 11:47 am  #534

Scary when they get like that. Glad he's over the worst. The fever seems to have broken eh. 

My little rant wasn't anything nearly as serious or worrying. Just had a lovely, very different haircut but I think I would have got more notice at home if I had just had all my hair shaved off! 

March 16, 2013 2:12 pm  #535

Davina wrote:

Scary when they get like that. Glad he's over the worst. The fever seems to have broken eh.

My little rant wasn't anything nearly as serious or worrying. Just had a lovely, very different haircut but I think I would have got more notice at home if I had just had all my hair shaved off!

I know what you mean. One year I had 14 inches cut off and donated it to Locks of Love. My husband didn't notice!!! No I really am not kidding. I even said to him "Notice anything different?" He still didn't know what I was referring to. He would make a terrible witness to a crime! LOL

We ended up in the ER last night with Adam but he is home now and doing much better. Thanks for the good thoughts. I also didn't go into work last night. Of course I thought we would be at the hospital longer than we actually were. I arranged for someone to cover my shift, but I got him home by 10:00 and that is the time I normally leave for work. I went to bed instead!

Last edited by AliceI (March 16, 2013 2:14 pm)

March 16, 2013 7:53 pm  #536

AliceI wrote:

Davina wrote:

I know what you mean. One year I had 14 inches cut off and donated it to Locks of Love. My husband didn't notice!!! No I really am not kidding. I even said to him "Notice anything different?" He still didn't know what I was referring to. He would make a terrible witness to a crime! LOL

We ended up in the ER last night with Adam but he is home now and doing much better. Thanks for the good thoughts. I also didn't go into work last night. Of course I thought we would be at the hospital longer than we actually were. I arranged for someone to cover my shift, but I got him home by 10:00 and that is the time I normally leave for work. I went to bed instead!

I'm glad Adam is feeling better and you got some rest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

March 17, 2013 8:33 pm  #537

I hope he gets better, Alicel. I know several people who've had the flu going around.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

March 17, 2013 10:31 pm  #538

Hope the little guy is better, Alice.  Sounds like he had a bad case of the Norovirus. It's a both ends kind of bug. It was going around the hospital where I work.  The ER was going nuts.  The cafeteria went into crisis mode - no self serve salad bar or self serve soups.  Everything was pre-packaged.  That damn virus is wicked contagious.  Probably best to clean the bathroom thoroughly or the rest of the family could end up with it.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

March 18, 2013 3:09 pm  #539

So I have throughly scrubbed the bathrooms and bleached EVERYTHING. I threw out his tooth brush and got him a new one. He is still weak and not eating well, but the doctor yesterday put the fear of God into him. Basically if he didn't start eating yesterday then he would have to be admitted to the hospital to have IV fluids and an NG tube inserted. So he ate yesterday - a little bit.

New Rant:
The doctor also drew blood to send off to the lab. I just got a call from the doctor's office and I want to go wring someone's neck!!! Whomever it is that has the job of making sure the supplies are rotated and up to date didn't do their job. The blood viles that they used were out of date and the lab won't run the tests. So now I have to take him back to the hospital and he has to get stuck again! I am, needless to say, somewhat torked off!

I was helping him to get dressed this morning and just wanted to cry looking at him. You can see his ribs, and his pelvic bones are sticking out. He lost 7 pounds in 5 days. He really didn't have any excess weight on him to begin with. I think I put up a link to pictures of him so you can see he was not a hefty boy by any means. 

He is at school today with his bottle of water. I told the teacher that he had to keep that with him at his desk and he has to keep drinking from it. She also was told that he MUST eat his lunch such that it is. 1/2 tuna sandwich and some bananna chips. Well I have to go clean the kitchen and take all the bedding to the laundromat so I'm off. Thanks for the well wishes.

March 18, 2013 7:01 pm  #540

F***, I burned my left palm on the stove. Being a leftie I don't know how many posts you can expect from me tonight. 

Board footera