BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2012 7:55 am  #1

Origins of Sherlock Fandom in-jokes

This is from the valuable resource tool known as Tumblr:

The Origins of the Fandom

The Jam - The jam (mostly strawberry or raspberry) did not originate within the Sherlock fandom. It’s based on a comic by Kate Beaton where a Victorian Watson likes jam very much. Link to the original comic

Anderson and the dinosaur - What I have been told it originated from a kink meme which said : “Anderson thinks of dinosaurs when he masturbate.† I have no source to the original meme.

Martin is made of kittens - It’s not hard to find the origin for this. Martin is adorable. What else is adorable? Kittens. So therefore Martin must be made of kittens.

Tell me about Rupert Graves - When a Sherlockian says to you “Tell me about Rupert Graves† you have to answer: “Rupert Graves is good at football and has five children† This originated from the audio commentary of The Great Game on the Sherlock DVD. In the audio Mark says: “Tell us about Rupert Graves, Benedict.† where Benedict answer : …is a good fotball… and so on. Link to the audio

Sherlock the hammer shark - This started with the comic “Meet the Mummy† in which Sherlock and John are visiting Sherlock’s mum who turns out to be a hammer shark. 

John the hedgehog - arrived from a fic with fanart a while ago. It’s about Sherlock as a child, only having a friend that’s a hedgehog he names John (link/source unknown)

Sussex Vampires - also known as glamlock. It’s an AU that someone came up with. Sherlock and John are dressed up in David Bowie inspired clothes and have an art/glam rock band called ‘Sussex Vampires’. John’s stage name is Johnny Lazers.

The cat jumper - It’s originated from when y0do decided to follow up santheum’s comment (Link to that post) about drawing John/Marin in this jumper. When y0do had done it soon other artists followed. I have even see some art with Sherlock, Moriarty and Mycroft wearing it but it’s mostly “John’s† sweater. The jumper is by a designer called ‘PrettySnake’ Link his the onlineshop

Moves Like Jagger (Aka: The Official Sherlock Fandom Theme Song) - I don’t thins anyone really knows the reason it started to be the theme song for the fandom. However Sherlock has got dem moves like Jagger, and basically the entire song describes all the sexual tension and homoerotic subtext in the the show. Plus it’s awesome and catchy as hell.

Flowers In A Box - If there someone is writing about Sherlock in uncharacteristically bad spelling, then either they just can’t spell, or they are quoting this piece of fanfiction. The one (and I think original) trollfic for the show… it’s create quite a few memes and you really just need to go and read it for them to make sense. Well actually they don’t make much sense after you read it either, it’s all good.

Alone on the water- It is the most famous Sherlock fanfic ever. Mostly because it is so depressing. Put a bunch of Sherlockians in a room and just start saying alone on the water, they will instantly start wanting to kill themselves. Few people have ever read it without crying. Everything Is Alone On The Water and everything hurts.

The Purple shirt of Sex - Is a seductively deep purple shirt that made it’s first appearance in “The Great Game†. It’s not hard to understand why it became a sensation. Just look how hot Benedict/Sherlock looks in it ;) (Link to a photo here)

The Striped cups - During the Sherlock series 2 shooting Mark Gatiss tweeted this photo of Martin and Benedict’s tea cups/mugs. It’s not hard to understand why the fandom loved it.

Jaguar Hiding in a Cello - This term is used to descried Benedict’s voice. It’s widely used in the fandom. It’s originated from this article by Caitlin Moran in The Times  Phrase got even more impact later on when Benedict narrated a commercial from Jaguar. YouTube link here.

Piratelock - In one of the last scenes in ‘A Scandal in Belgravia’ Mycroft told John that Sherlock  ‘initially, he wanted to be a pirate.’ This simple line sparked a wave of fan art and Fan Fictions where Sherlock is a pirate. It can be everything from something ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ inspired or a child version of Sherlock playing that he is a pirate.

The Toga of Sex - The Toga of Sex is the fandom’s nickname for the bed sheet Sherlock was wearing in the ‘A Scandal in Belgravia’ episode.

Otterlock - or Otterbatch originated from the blog post ‘Otters who look like Benedict Cumberbatch’ by redscharlach This post was an immediately hit in the fandom. It got tweeted about by both Louise Brealey (Molly Hooper)and Amanda Abbington (wife of Martin Freeman). The next day Metro published an article about it both in paper and online.

Not my division - Originated from the episode ‘Reichenbach Fall’ where Sally run in to Lestrade’s office and says ‘Sir there have been a break in’ where Lestrade replays ‘Not our division’ This has the fandom changed to ‘Not my division’ and is mainly said by Lestrade.

#believeinsherlock - Is a global Sherlock movement that started by Earl Foolish’s post . Basically it’s about that the BBC Sherlockians images they are a Sherlock fan in the show universe. They want to spread the word that Sherlock was real and not a fake as Moriarty tried to make him appear as in ‘The Fall’ The Fandom mainly spread the word by putting up posters in their respective towns and schools.

F*ck you, I won a BAFTA - Was said by Martin at The Graham Norton Show. You Tube clip here. The BAFTA Martin won for his roll as John Watson in series 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 14, 2012 8:04 am  #2

Re: Origins of Sherlock Fandom in-jokes

ha ha! I'd love to put up a poster somewhere in the school and town.
And my emailed me the otters to me and now whenever I'm feeling sad I just look at them and it gets me out! =) My dad also sends me tons of other Sherlock related stuff daily! =) but I've already seen it... Now! =)

-Y.S.H

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

May 14, 2012 1:13 pm  #3

Re: Origins of Sherlock Fandom in-jokes

Oh gosh, have to cool myself down when I see that purple shirt... ;)
Don't get how Moves Like Jagger is the theme song though... hmm.

Board footera