BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2013 11:36 pm  #1

Why is it so famous?

It's supposed to be Holme's greatest adventure but it didn't work on me. Even the Sherlock adaptation of it didn't work on me but the Hound story seems to be the most talked about/most prestigious at least out of all the novel length adventures. So yeah, why is it so famous? I know the Victorians were dying for another Holmes story after a long gap but even today, we hold the Hound in great regard.

January 28, 2013 7:25 am  #2

Re: Why is it so famous?

I have wondered about this many times; unfortunately I will never know if it was the many badly done film versions that spoilt this story for me?

January 28, 2013 11:55 am  #3

I kinda liked the novel, but I've steered clear of all the movie adaptions As to why it's so famous: I have no idea!
It probably has something to do with the fact that people back then were desperate for another book, though. 
Or maybe it was just a good story to turn into movie scripts? I don't have a clue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

February 6, 2013 6:08 pm  #4

I wondered about it, too, when I´ve read it. I think a very great part of the legend is - the fact it is a legend. I think most people even don´t know the story, but if they hear "Sherlock Holmes", Baskerville comes to their mind. like Marylin Monroe - how many films have you seen with her? and the films are not so good, either. but she is still a celebrity star. I think it´s similar. the circumstances made Baskerville a legend. ACD was really popular writer of his time, so you all are right with the "hunger" for a new novel etc. and the story itself has a scary feeling, monster..., not only the deduction no one can really  understand. maybe this factor could be one of the reasons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

March 10, 2013 9:13 pm  #5

I suppose the timeless appeal of this story has to do with the dark, haunted moors; the escaped convict hiding among them; the huge, ferocious hound killing people by darkness, a family curse; etc. It's a classical horror story. 

I read the original story and found it entertaining, although it didn't live up to my expectations. After decades of hearing about the "Hound of the Baskervilles", and having  read that it was "one of the greatest mystery stores of all time", it was a bit of a disappointment.  The realy mystery; i.e. who was doing the killings, was not that shocking after all. 

I actually found "The Valley of Fear" to be a more thrilling mystery.  I like the fact that some of Holmes stores did not have a pat ending - the killers or killers were not caught, or the good person died.  I applaude ACD for taking that risk with his story telling

But, back to "Hounds" - this was one episode of Sherlock that is not a favorite of mine - although there are some great scenes in it.

Last edited by kaye (March 10, 2013 9:14 pm)

March 11, 2013 1:36 pm  #6

The Hound of the Baskervilles is basically a Gothic story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera