BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2012 10:38 pm  #1

Book Club 07/05/12 (CHAS)

This week in Sherlock Book Club, we'll be discussing CHARLES AUGUSTUS MILVERTON.

If you haven't read it...now's your chance...I'll give you all some time but feel free to post your thoughts here once you have finished reading.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 12, 2012 12:12 pm  #2

Re: Book Club 07/05/12 (CHAS)

Anybody had chance to read it yet? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 12, 2012 12:15 pm  #3

Nope sorry hon. Had a lot on lately. Might try and read it tomorrow night

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 12, 2012 1:03 pm  #4

I've read it.. and we have discussed this quite a bit off the board...hahah

Watson: Anytime you want to include me... "No, I'm Sherlock Holmes. I always work alone because no one else can compete with my massive intellect!"

May 12, 2012 1:29 pm  #5

I forgot to read it! I'll read it tonight if that's ok. Any particular aspects we want to discuss?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 13, 2012 12:19 am  #6

I read it last night. It's a strange one as Holmes has virtually nothing to do with the end result of the 'case'. He seduces/manipulates a maid into loving him so he can get the floorplan of Milverton's house. Then he and Watson break into the house and break into the safe and then hide behind a curtain while a countess resolves it all for them and then they run away.

Not sure they could make an episode of this one but they could certainly throw in references. Milverton could be some organised crime mafioso who likes to blackmail people. Maybe Mycroft!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 13, 2012 1:34 am  #7

This is one of the better ones that they COULD adapt in my opinion.

The story itself shows quite clearly Holmes' real motivation in his work. To stop evil at all costs, nothing to do with law & order or filling jails with the bad guys. His decision in the end NOT to inform the police of the murderer's identity puts a stamp on that completely.

Just taking snippets of the 'action' that would translate perfectly into an adaptation & 'please' fans & all the girly fandom people:
- Sherlock breaks into the house, later he & John do the same again.
- Sherlock leads on the housemaid, even becomes engaged to suit his agenda. He has no thoughts of her feelings whatsoever.
- Sherlock undercover as a tradesman.
- Sherlock's absolute hatred for the villain, it's one of the most solid feelings we see from Holmes throughout the canon stories.

Then we have the main theme, blackmail that occurs over many years. What if they twist it so that the person being blackmailed is perhaps .... John or Mrs Hudson, or best yet ... Molly? (could you imagine that one? Sherlock helping clear Molly's good name & while doing so becomes engaged to the housemaid? Molly would be shattered. Would make for some brilliant screen time to smash the fandom girls' hearts!)

This is a storyline that could easily run through 3 episodes, as did the Moriarty presence in the first two series, whilst he solves other crimes etc.

Since the end of Series 2, I have hoped that Moftiss DO use this villain soon. It shows a more truer picture of Sherlock's motivation, it shows that not all evil is surrounded by killings and bombings etc. And it moves away from the idea that Holmes & the police always work in the same direction when it comes to combating evil.
I'd look forward to Sherlock & Lestrade working 'against' each other & moving away from this 'great buddies & pals' theme they have running at the moment.
It also has Holmes doing less 'brilliant deductions' and more 'ground roots' detective work; getting his hands dirty which is something the canon Holmes did quite a lot yet the BBC Sherlock really hasn't lowered himself to that yet has he?

Get Cumberbatch to get down & dirty as a tradesman & let's see how he goes!!

In my opinion, now is the time to 'bring down' the romantic views that fans have of Sherlock. Show his nasty side, show his complete lack of feelings for others when solving a puzzle. I would welcome it. Many fans may say they would, but in reality I doubt that . hehehe

Last edited by kazza474 (May 13, 2012 1:38 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 13, 2012 6:54 am  #8

Actually that's a good point. I think as a thread running through Season 3 could be great. As I said in mine I can't see it being a stand alone episode and I was thinking they could do that whole 'nod' thing they've done with other stories but a through-season thread would be even better.

Sherlock would be able, as you say, to demonstrate the darker side of his nature starting with the absolute loathing that he has for this man and his disregard for the law when morality is on his side.

They did say they weren't going to do overt disguises but he's done role playing often enough for it to be workable.

Yes, I think you've changed my mind on this one Kazza!

I still have quite a few of the stories I haven't read yet. Need to get onto that.

May 13, 2012 8:23 am  #9

Yeah definitely...Milverton makes a great villain. He could easily be 'in the background' of Series 3, with the final confronation (ie. the scene in his house where they do the stake out) only happening in the last episode. We could see the effects of his various blackmails throughout the different crimes that Sherlock & John have to solve and they could be linked in to other stories from the canon and twisted slightly so that it's implicated Milverton was behind them...

If you think about it, blackmail will cause people to do all kinds of crazy things...If they think they will lose everything, they will kill, steal, cheat, lie etc...his actions could have tragic consequences and cause people to commit crimes without him ever having to do anything directly. It makes him very like a Moriarty figure, just pulling strings in the background.

And yes, there's loads of things that will please the fans - especially the holding hands behind the curtain bit.

May 13, 2012 8:38 am  #10

We were asked the question here months ago as to who we wanted the next villain to be; many (as has happened in most online sites) said Moran but he's simply a very one dimensional character who happened to have links to Moriarty & that made the fanbase everywhere jump up & down with glee. I've stuck to my guns on this one & have always preferred that they'd do Milverton. The 'thread' idea sprung out instantly, the victim or victims however could be any of many.
Now that people are starting to read more of the canon they are starting to open their eyes to a whole range of characters good & bad. The choices are endless.

At the risk of repeating myself, the main part of this story that I love is Sherlock not being within the law; not following protocols & not giving a toss about the authorities.
Couldn't that bring a lot of conflict between Mycroft & his younger brother also?

We are limited to what we know, the characters etc. Moftiss have creative licence to introduce new ones into the fray.
How about the victim being Mrs Lestrade, and the whole separation thing with 'Greg' being caused because she didn't want his career ruined by the blackmailer?

Sherlock could certainly use some very cutting remarks there; the fanbase would be outraged at 'Greggy' being picked on by nasty Sherlock, Molly would lean toward Greg & then away if the wife came back to him, ohhh the heartaches abound .... mwahahahaha

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 13, 2012 11:00 am  #11

Certainly the use of the blackmailer character would be good as blackmail is timeless.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 13, 2012 11:39 am  #12

Yes I think the only thing that may hold them back is that we've just had Irene doing the blackmailing gig though.
But I will keep hoping , lol.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 13, 2012 6:28 pm  #13

I was also thinking about the Irene and blackmailing lark. If it isn't to seem too similar they will have to give it a real twist, I think. Milverton is such a slimy, loathsome character he would be a great chance for some actor out there. It does also give Sherlock the chance to show that he is not the police's puppet. We have had glimmers and glimpses, through the two series so far, on how manipulative Sherlock can be when he wants/needs to be. He is able to mimic behaviour and feelings he is not actually feeling, just to get the information or help he needs. The story of Milverton is an extension of that. If Moftiss do use the story, I cannot wait to see what they do with it. Whatever they do I can guarantee it will not be boring.

May 13, 2012 11:04 pm  #14

The difference is that Irene Adler used blackmail just for fun...she played the game for the games own sake...whereas Milverton is doing it for money, greed.

Board footera