BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2013 9:55 pm  #201

Re: Doctor Who

newbie whovian--  I  LIKE that!!  

March 30th is when we'll start seeing  new dr who episoces on BBCA  and BBC  for you across the ponders.   hehehehehe  I  made up a new word.  

Ok   did any  of you see the new series called  Doctors  Revisited?   It's all about the 11 doctors.   Last month  they started out  with the first dr who,  william Hartnell,  and they aired a full episode of one of his early shows!!   I  taped  it,  and it was on again  last night.    I  am  sure it will be on again  between  now and Feb  24th.  It  was fun to watch!!   It told me all about that old prickly first doctor...his accent,  his mannerisms,  and it introduced  his grand daughter Susan, too.   He was a ....well,  he was a bit cranky at times.   I  didn't think I would like him at all,  but after seeing this special about him,  be became endearing to me.  He  Reminded me of MY grandfathers.   His companions were ok.   On this special, David Tennant,  John Barrowman, Steven Moffat,  and some others were commentators.  David tennant had a beard,  (EIEIO!!)       

Feb  24th,  we will see the second episode,   with the second doctor who.    Of  course I'm  gonna tape it.    Just letting you all know!!   Have fun!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

February 19, 2013 9:34 pm  #202

I just the last episode with The Ponds and I have to say I was a little disappointed in their exit. They were such a big part of the show and I guess I really expected something drmatic and emotional. It kind of was, but somehow it also left something to be desired. And, Stephen Moffat isn't one to let me down, so it was kind of surprising. I will miss Amy and Rory and I'm wary of the new companion, hoping she'll be dfferent enough from Amy to allow me to find a new joy in the show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

February 22, 2013 5:08 pm  #203

I am dying for the new episode. March 30th can't come too soon. I think that everytime Clara dies, she's somehow projected to another point in time and space as a way of not dying. If that makes sense. And she forgets what has happened to her before. And she's somehow tied to the Doctor. They attract each other. Like in Hancock, if anyone has seen the movie. 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

March 4, 2013 11:18 pm  #204

I have been watching Dr. Who for as long as I can remember. I have seen every episode ever made I think. What is really cool are my kids. I never imagined that they would also like Dr. Who. Both the girls have tee shirts that say Bow Ties are Cool. Ally also has one that says Rule #1 The Doctor Lies. She wore that shirt the day she had her physical and I thought the look on her doctor's face when he came in the room was hysterical.

Even Adam my 7 year old likes Dr. Who. He actually likes the older series quite a lot. The girls find it too campy. They like the more modern special effects, but I learned to love Dr. Who because of the stories rather than the effects or lack there-of. 

My favorite Doctor is a tie between Tom Baker and David Tennant. I really did not care for Christopher Eccleston very much. David Tennant brought back some of the whimsy that Tom Baker brought to the role. I felt that when David left the show there was no one who could step into those shoes and I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised by Matt Smith. He is his own Doctor and brings his own unique quirks to the character. 

What I liked the most about Matt Smith's episodes were his companions. Amy and Rory are by far the best companions I have ever seen, and I've seen them all. What I really liked about them was the fact that they were a couple. There have been too many companions who were smitten with the Doctor. That gets old after years of it. I liked Rose well enough, but once again this was a companion who was in love with the Doctor. 

Donna was another favorite of mine. She had zero interest in the Doctor in a romantic way and that made for a much better chemistry between them in my opinion. It was about their adventures, and their friendship, rather than about some love-sick star-struck girl who suffers unrequited love with the last of the Time Lords.

My favorite episodes with David Tennant are the ones surrounding the Family of Blood. Those two episodes showed us some real acting chops for David. I love it when the characters get to sink their teeth into a part like that. Also the End of Time episodes were fantastic but sad too. I didn't want him to go and I almost cried when he said "I don't want to go."

Actually I have liked almost all of the episodes. It would be easier to say the ones that I didn’t care for that much. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. That one just fell a little flat for me, with one notable exception. I loved Rory’s dad.

I see that the new season of Dr. Who comes out March 30th. I wonder if that will hold true for America as well. I hope so. I would like to see how the new companion holds up. It is an interesting premise to have the same person reoccuring throughout time. I wonder how that bit will be explained. 

Last edited by AliceI (March 4, 2013 11:32 pm)

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

March 4, 2013 11:49 pm  #205

Dramagod wrote:

I have no problem with cheap sets and campy feel. Like I said I'm watching Star Trek at the moment and I'm enjoying it, even if the fake rocks move when it winds. I don't dislike Farscape. To be honest, I've only seen the pilot episode of it and it was years ago. I only mentioned it because that green blob in the Who episode reminded me of Farscape for some reason. And it was not at all what I imagined Doctor Who would be like. I enjoyed EARTH 2 and that wasn't a big budget sci-fi show.

All in all I AM intrigued about Doctor Who but I'll wait a while longer before considering watching it, cause I know there's a lot of episodes and it's not an over-night thing exactly.

Hi DramaGod,
The episode you are refering to in Dr. Who was not really centered on the Dr. It was IMO not a particularly good episode. It is in no way representative of the show. Not every episode will hit it out of the park. In my last post I mentioned that I could only think of one episode I didn't care for off the top of my head, well this is another one that I could have done without. Once you give it a try I believe that you will enjoy it. My kids LOVE the show and they started with the modern incarnation.

March 5, 2013 2:32 am  #206

Love this show! Cannot come back on fast enough! Just need to get my husband into it and it would be perfect!

================================================================

March 6, 2013 3:38 pm  #207

I'm addicted to this show as well, can't wait for the new episodes.

March 18, 2013 3:31 pm  #208

SherlockHound wrote:

looking forward to the next half of Series 7. It should be good!

Second half? Living in the states I know we don't get things as soon as you do in the UK, but this has me confused. What happened in the first 1/2 of this season you are talking about?

March 18, 2013 5:17 pm  #209

AliceI wrote:

SherlockHound wrote:

looking forward to the next half of Series 7. It should be good!

Second half? Living in the states I know we don't get things as soon as you do in the UK, but this has me confused. What happened in the first 1/2 of this season you are talking about?

He's referring to the fact that they usually 'split' the series a bit, remember?  Did it with 6 too... started half of it in the fall, then....
...  well, ack!  ;P  ;D  Just refreshed to check something, and see was already replied to!  What he said.  ;)  I can't wait!!!  As much as I also get sadly 'why did they have to make that actor leave?' still very much enjoyed the new ones that came along, and especially liking Clara already.  A not-so-ordinary girl with traces of Jack and River... this is gonna be interestingly neat.... 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 18, 2013 5:24 pm  #210

(speaking of River... I really hope she hasn't gone away completely??  )
Oh... which reminds me... talking about getting curious about Clara, someone posted this on tumblr:

Maybe stretching it..... maybe looking in too deeply again....  maybe very cleverly neat and the kind of twist they would tend to throw at us...  ;)   What's your response?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

March 20, 2013 4:05 pm  #211

^Oh that's clever, that's so clever. But now, I wish that's not it because I want to see something I wasn't expecting and to be impressed by the cleverness of it.

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."

March 20, 2013 5:11 pm  #212

Sparrow wrote:

^Oh that's clever, that's so clever. But now, I wish that's not it because I want to see something I wasn't expecting and to be impressed by the cleverness of it.

We're so 'spoiled' by those writers, aren't we??       

March 20, 2013 6:08 pm  #213

Yeah. Moffat for the win. :D

March 21, 2013 2:37 am  #214

Clever, clever, clever!

March 21, 2013 7:46 pm  #215

I am trying to find what episode the Doctor hears the prophecy of the Ood about 4 knocks and then he dies. I watched the planet of the Ood with Donna, and the closest I could come was when Ood sigma said that his song would end and he asks "What?" sounding a little freaked out and Sigma replies "All songs end." But where does he hear the actual prophecy?

March 22, 2013 1:12 am  #216

Is it 'Planet of the Dead'? I think something is mentioned there.

March 22, 2013 5:38 am  #217

Yep!   The Ood -does- get a bit foreshadowy with him and Donna, mentioning Doctor Donna, the song ending, etc.... but it wasn't until he and the other people on the bus get back from the Planet of the Dead that the older woman says goodbye and warns him about his song again, saying 'he will knock four times'.  Ee-yiii...  I love the intense twists to the stories of that show, too....  ;-D  :-)))

March 22, 2013 6:04 am  #218

Russell wrote:

Ee-yiii... I love the intense twists to the stories of that show, too.... ;-D :-)))

Between Doctor Who and Sherlock I have no idea how my emotions are intact at all. *Grabs Shock Blanket and a Fez*

March 22, 2013 9:12 am  #219

Michele wrote:

Russell wrote:

Ee-yiii... I love the intense twists to the stories of that show, too.... ;-D :-)))

Between Doctor Who and Sherlock I have no idea how my emotions are intact at all. *Grabs Shock Blanket and a Fez*

Your not the only one.

March 22, 2013 9:13 am  #220

Maybe if we steal the TARDIS and go into the future to see Season 3 of Sherlock. 

Board footera