BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2012 1:54 pm  #41

Re: August: Osage County

Acquire deputy's badges, knock on the door, say "Everything okay here? Great! Welcome to Oklahoma.' Then run off laughing like maniacs. Or could it be I've seen ASiP too many times? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 31, 2012 2:54 pm  #42

Hah, that article was designed to DISCOURAGE us, not inspire dastardly plots LOL. They haven't met the strength of the Benedict Army 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

November 3, 2012 11:33 am  #43

Benny & Ewan together. James Rhodes will be jealous  . Hang on, Ewan was in Star wars, maybe )ur Boy is getting some audition tips for the new Star Wars films. (starting a new rumour here).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

November 3, 2012 1:35 pm  #44

Ooh, I like your thinking girl...but I'm sure Benedict will be faithful to James!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 3, 2012 8:52 pm  #45

Finally a picture of those two together! 

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

March 6, 2013 6:26 am  #46

Osage County US release date 8th November 2013.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 20, 2013 9:27 pm  #47

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 3, 2013 5:52 pm  #48

The film poster. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 10, 2013 4:44 pm  #49

May 10, 2013 6:19 pm  #50

With Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in it, I think lots of people will want to see it, anyway. Meryl does different accents like a champ; she's a wonder. And JL's no slouch in the acting department either.

What's the Brit connection in the story, anyone know? Not only BC there, but also Ewan MacGregor.

May 11, 2013 10:18 am  #51

There is no Brit connection in the story. I can only assume that Ewan and Benedict will adopt the necessary accent. Ewan is a bit young for the character he is playing (Bill Fordham) who is 49 in the story (Ewan is only 42). Benedict is exactly the right age for his character (Little Charles). They are both really good at adopting different accents.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 11, 2013 1:15 pm  #52

Davina wrote:

There is no Brit connection in the story. I can only assume that Ewan and Benedict will adopt the necessary accent. Ewan is a bit young for the character he is playing (Bill Fordham) who is 49 in the story (Ewan is only 42). Benedict is exactly the right age for his character (Little Charles). They are both really good at adopting different accents.

Do you know this for sure, that BC will be doing his role with an American accent?  lol, now that I can't wait to hear. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything where he's done that before.

May 11, 2013 1:24 pm  #53

He was good as TS Eliot, on the radio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 11, 2013 2:09 pm  #54

I honestly think he will have to. Not giving away the plot, if you don't know it already, but it would be difficult, if not impossible, for a little Charles to have a different  accent from his parents. It is set in Oklahoma and that is where all the characters are from, I think.

Now I've done the obvious, well obvious now but not earlier, and watched the trailer. Ewan definitely speaking with accent (not his native one!) and the tiny, weeny clip of Benedict and he's got the accent as well.

Last edited by Davina (May 11, 2013 2:14 pm)

May 11, 2013 8:15 pm  #55

Davina wrote:

I honestly think he will have to. Not giving away the plot, if you don't know it already, but it would be difficult, if not impossible, for a little Charles to have a different accent from his parents. It is set in Oklahoma and that is where all the characters are from, I think.
Now I've done the obvious, well obvious now but not earlier, and watched the trailer. Ewan definitely speaking with accent (not his native one!) and the tiny, weeny clip of Benedict and he's got the accent as well. 

I doubt they used vocal coaches on set, because from what I could hear, everyone seemed to do their own thing accent-wise. Meryl took on a stereotypical OK accent, and she lays it on a bit too thick, IMO-- sort of an uneducated, country, ranchfolk twang. Her daughter, played by Julia Roberts, doesn't have an accent at all-- Julia herself is from TX, but I've never really heard TX in her voice, and for this role, she didn't speak any differently than she ever has in any of her movie roles I've ever seen. So whatever $$$ the producers spent on this movie, it apparently didn't go to vocal coaches or a try for any kind of continuity or authenticity for the characters' accents.

Speaking of which, this makes me think of John Barrowman. Born of Scottish parents, moved to the US at age 11, and his natural speaking voice is now pure American midwestern (what we Americans perceive as accentless). He can certainly put on the Scottish brogue of his parents when he chooses to, but somewhere in his childhood, he must have decided to speak like his American friends, rather than his parents. ??? Complicated, about accents.

But anyway, from what I could hear in the short movie trailer, with just little clips of voices, no effort was made to make everyone sound like they came from the same neck of the woods.

Last edited by ancientsgate (May 11, 2013 8:17 pm)

May 12, 2013 7:26 am  #56

Apparently John always speaks in his first accent i.e. Scottish when he is with his parents and family.

May 14, 2013 11:34 am  #57

Some more release dates from IMDb:
Netherlands- 7 Nov 2013
Russia- 30 Jan 2014
Faroe Islands- 5 Feb 2014

This is in addition to the US release date of: 8 Nov 2013. Good timing for Oscars consideration!

May 14, 2013 11:43 am  #58

And Germany: 28 November 2013. 

June 25, 2013 10:16 am  #59

Now there's an official website for the film:

http://augustosagecountyfilm.com/#

June 25, 2013 1:18 pm  #60

SusiGo wrote:

Now there's an official website for the film:
http://augustosagecountyfilm.com/#

Why was Ben cast in this movie? Any idea? I mean, really, why? I realize he's a great actor with an interesting face, but....  there are loads of people they could have cast, if those two considerations were all there was to it. I wonder what the inside reason is. ??

Board footera