BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2012 12:59 pm  #1

Soo Lin Yao's death

Someone here was wondering the other day (can't find it anymore, sorry) that Soo Lin Yao had to die an "unnecessary death", especially as John's absence – he had abandoned her in the museum in order to help Sherlock – didn't help anyone.

Well, it's obvious to me: Of course Soo Lin had to die – she didn't fall prey to the Black Lotus but first and foremost to screenwriter Stephen Thompson:
If she had been able to talk to Sherlock and John again she would have told them the title of the book the cipher was based on, London A-Z, and the episode would then have been over in a flash.
"Fortunately" she was shot to her death by her brother.
But actually she had to die serving the purpose of giving Sherlock the opportunity to prove that he – again - was the smartest person, true to the principle (see TGG): "Don't tell me anything. It only works if I figure it out!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 12, 2012 1:09 pm  #2

Re: Soo Lin Yao's death

She was sacrificed on the altar of necessity!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 12, 2012 1:56 pm  #3

Yeah, she was created only to provide the decisive input.
At least, no completely wasted life...poor Soo Lin! 

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 12, 2012 7:08 pm  #4

Very bad episode. I'm embarrassed by its existence to be honest.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 12, 2012 7:46 pm  #5

I do think John was a bit useless when he went to help Sherlock and basically just ran around not doing very much! Lol.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 9, 2013 7:59 pm  #6

Yeah... but did he not say something like "Lock the door behind me?"
Well, apparently she didn't. Tough luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 8, 2013 9:30 am  #7

Somehow I feel that John's decision to help Sherlock and not to stay with Soo Lin Yao is a loose thread.
In TBB I expected Sherlock and John to talk about John's decision. At least I expected John to rectify it or apologize. At first I wondered why the writers didn't jump on this opportunity to talk about morality and decisions in a no-win-situation.
Having seen TRF with Sherlock's way to cope with a no-win situation on the roof and how Moriarty was forced to kill himself I expect to see a discussion between John and Sherlock about right and wrong, about morality, the rules ....

Last edited by Be (April 8, 2013 9:39 am)

April 9, 2013 6:32 pm  #8

yk, I have to admit this episode has grown on me a lot. Mainly because I also thought it was really, really bad, watched the others to death and so had to go back and watch this one a few times to even it up.

I must admit being surprised by it, after the strength of SiP, but I think the key is to see it partly as an extension of the set up episode.

Though I'm also biased cos its filmed in the museum local to me, where my kids run amok very regularly!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 16, 2014 10:57 pm  #9

Just got done watching this episode for a second time (the first being when it originally aired) and don’t mind admitting that I had completely forgotten that Soo Lin Yao was killed at all. Considering the camera time she got, I can’t help but feel her death was kind of glossed over. In any case, the episode was a lot more entertaining second time around.

Last edited by Mugwump (January 16, 2014 10:57 pm)

January 16, 2014 11:07 pm  #10

I wondered when this thread would be re-opened...

February 8, 2014 1:52 pm  #11

I still question the point of Soo Lin.  Have watched this episode numerous times but still not sure I get it. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

Board footera