BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2012 1:14 pm  #1

12 Years a Slave

I've been looking for anything about this film, and not finding much except a bare-bones IMDb profile. Anyone have any links for it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 11, 2012 4:55 pm  #2

Re: 12 Years a Slave

There's a fair bit to be found if you Google it but a lot is repetitive about cast etc. However the following links may be useful:

For the detail about the book on which the film is based:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Year_a_Slave

Here are a couple of other links about the film itself:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jun/01/benedict-cumberbatch-twelve-years-a-slave
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/first-look-quvenzhane-wallis-chiwetel-ejiofor-in-12-years-a-slave/

And also the following on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jylbPcDJTOQ

Last edited by Davina (February 25, 2013 12:57 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 12, 2012 3:49 am  #3

Thanks, Davina! When I Googled it, none of this came up. You do have the magic touch. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

February 25, 2013 12:55 pm  #4

More information on Twelve Years a Slave which is now in post-production. It is directed by Steve McQueen (Shame, Hunger) and co-written by Steve and John Ridley. Great cast including Benedict (of course) Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Chewetel Ejiofor.

There are some release dates starting to be given:
Brazil 6 September 2013
Sweden 1 November 2013
Denmark 21 November 2013
New Zealand 6 February 2014

I will try to keep this updated with other release dates as they are given.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 27, 2013 8:26 am  #5

More information, photos, exactions to initial screening I.e. not the finished work) can be found on the following Tumblr account

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/12%20years%20a%20slave

What might disappoint some is that Benedict is on screen for only about 15-20 minutes but then they do have a real historical event/story to follow. Also both Benedict and Fassy have Southern American accents.

March 2, 2013 11:20 pm  #6

It is being suggested that this film may be chosen for the Cannes Film Festival. The President of the festival this year is Steven Spielberg. There is some concern among  some observers that this Presidency may be averly influenced by the Hollywood machine. Hopefully not!

March 7, 2013 11:30 am  #7

YouTube short presentation about the director Steve McQueen generally and this film. Lots about Michael Fassbender but Benedict does get a mention and a photo!

Twelve Years a Slave: Steve McQueen 2013-Beyond the Trailer

Sadly the link won't work, so if you're interested type the title above into the YouTube search folks.

Last edited by Davina (March 7, 2013 11:32 am)

March 21, 2013 6:30 pm  #8

Not confirmed and may be nonsense but this film may be shown at the Cannes Film Festival this summer.

March 28, 2013 8:47 pm  #9

Another release date and it is a biggie! US December 27th 2013.

March 30, 2013 8:37 am  #10

The US release day is a very important one. This is the final week of awards for 2013 so this placement enhances the film being nominated for the Oscars. Still waiting for a UK release date.

April 3, 2013 5:04 am  #11

It has just received its certification of R. I expect it will be an 18 in the UK. Apparently the US release may be limited. Not really sure what that really means.

April 3, 2013 11:09 pm  #12

A limited release means a movie will only be shown in a few theaters, usually LA and NYC.  When this is done at the end of a year, it's because the producers want it to qualify for that year's Oscars, because a movie needs to be shown in public for a certain length of time to qualify.  (I forget how long but I'm guessing one week.)  Then, a week later--usually--the movie will open in wide release in many more cities and theaters nationwide; how many cities is variable.

When that happens, I'll be able to see it since my area is not one where limited-release movies generally open.  I really want to see this film!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

April 4, 2013 12:43 am  #13

Davina wrote:

Another release date and it is a biggie! US December 27th 2013.

Funny if this is the same night Sherlock Series 3 airs in the UK.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

April 4, 2013 1:50 am  #14

Ah! Thanks for the explanation. I thought I might be something like that. It will not be easy watching (none of Steve's films are: Hunger and Shame the latter of which should definitely have been nominated for an Oscar or five).  It will also not be the sort of film you tend to get out of Hollywood i.e. a happy ending. His films are always very strong on visualisation and are experiential. He is never scared to use the camera in innovative ways and also to have very still, composed set-pieces. I am a bit sad because there is a fantastic exhibition of his work on in Switzerland at the moment.

Being involved with such an up-and-coming director and cast is another fantastic opportunity for Benedict. Indie film kudos!

April 20, 2013 10:11 pm  #15

This film will NOT be at the Cannes Film Festival. Most likely reasons that it won't be ready in time (it is in post-production at the moment).

April 21, 2013 2:23 pm  #16

Yay! UK release date...24 January 2014.
US 27 December 2013
Sweden 31January 2014
New Zealand 6 February 2014

Benedict plays the part of William Ford.

April 21, 2013 3:25 pm  #17

Germany: 
23 January 2014

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 21, 2013 4:46 pm  #18

April 21, 2013 4:46 pm  #19

Seems we're lucky over here. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 1, 2013 5:51 am  #20

Hans Zimmer is scoring the music for this film. Has the potential for an Oscar for that alone.

Last edited by Davina (May 15, 2013 6:16 pm)

Board footera