BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2013 1:19 am  #241

Re: The game is on again (OFFICIAL NEWS ONLY PLEASE)

Andrew Sims (@Sims) on twitter just interviewed Martin and confirmed filming starts in 2 weeks.

Last edited by Soquel (March 2, 2013 1:20 am)

Thank you for your questions, now sod off and go do something useful --- Martin Freeman 3/1/13

March 2, 2013 10:09 am  #242

Two weeks. *marks date in calendar*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 2, 2013 10:12 am  #243

Yeeeeaaah! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 2, 2013 10:13 am  #244

Finally!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 2, 2013 2:32 pm  #245

anjaH_alias wrote:

Also the angel behind the grave was a prop - I didn´t not expect that, I thought it was standing there anyway on the cemetary and the Sherlock makers used it because it fitted so well....

I'm reminded about how Sherlock and Moriarty had that conversation on the rooftop about being on the side of the angels. TPTB must have thought it was appropriate to stick the statue there by his gravestone, almost symbolic of an actual angel looking over him, guarding him, for those who believe in such things.

March 2, 2013 2:39 pm  #246

But he's not in the grave.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 2, 2013 2:41 pm  #247

Soquel wrote:

Andrew Sims (@Sims) on twitter just interviewed Martin and confirmed filming starts in 2 weeks.

Yaaaaaaaaayyy!!

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

March 2, 2013 2:46 pm  #248

ancientsgate wrote:

I presume all computer dvd drives in region 1 play region 1 DVDs, and all in region 2 play region 2 DVDs.

I also don't know if our region 1 TVs would be compatible with region 2 playback, even if we were to buy a region 2 player. You know, as small as the world is now, why on earth (no pun intended) don't the powers that be who manufacture DVD technology agree on one format for everyone? Sure would simplify things.

You know, you could order one of those region 2 mini DVD players. Then you wouldn't need to connect it to any TV or anything and you could watch it as soon as the DVD came out. :D Problem solved. 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."

March 2, 2013 3:08 pm  #249

Sparrow wrote:

You know, you could order one of those region 2 mini DVD players. Then you wouldn't need to connect it to any TV or anything and you could watch it as soon as the DVD came out. :D Problem solved. 

Now that's an idea. I just went and checked, and they cost about 80 pounds (about $120) on amazon.uk, no idea what the international shipping charges would be on top of that. Plus the cost of the DVDs. Not sure I could see my way clear to that expense. Sigh. One can dream, of course....

March 2, 2013 3:31 pm  #250

ancientsgate wrote:

Now that's an idea. I just went and checked, and they cost about 80 pounds (about $120) on amazon.uk, no idea what the international shipping charges would be on top of that. Plus the cost of the DVDs. Not sure I could see my way clear to that expense. Sigh. One can dream, of course....

Or you could get a region free one. Don't they sell those there? If not, I found this. Which is slightly cheaper. 

http://www.world-import.com/philips_LD-741B_Region_Free_DVD_Player.htm

If you buy it now, perhaps by the time the DVDs come out, you will have saved enough to get those too. 

Last edited by Sparrow (March 2, 2013 3:32 pm)

March 2, 2013 3:48 pm  #251

ancientsgate wrote:

anjaH_alias wrote:

Also the angel behind the grave was a prop - I didn´t not expect that, I thought it was standing there anyway on the cemetary and the Sherlock makers used it because it fitted so well....

I'm reminded about how Sherlock and Moriarty had that conversation on the rooftop about being on the side of the angels. TPTB must have thought it was appropriate to stick the statue there by his gravestone, almost symbolic of an actual angel looking over him, guarding him, for those who believe in such things.

Jipp. This, and/or simply a symbol for Sherlock, now being on the side of the angels. With that cemetary prop angeI I was always reminded on a sentence of, I think, Steven Moffat, who said, that Sherlock finds his place in the world through Moriarty. With his sacrifice, his faked death to - at least partially - save the lives of his friends he has definetely found his orientation. That´s a nice picture to me.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (March 2, 2013 3:49 pm)

March 2, 2013 3:59 pm  #252

As you both pointed out: The angel prop stands aloofly Sherlock's grave, not on it.
Sherlock, being on the side of the angels, is not in the grave but - like the angel whose side he is on -
beyond.  John, as always, sees but doesn't observe...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 2, 2013 7:55 pm  #253

Angels. Graveyards. Very Doctor Who!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 2, 2013 8:35 pm  #254

Wonder why...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 3, 2013 12:21 am  #255

tobeornot221b wrote:

As you both pointed out: The angel prop stands aloofly Sherlock's grave, not on it.
Sherlock, being on the side of the angels, is not in the grave but - like the angel whose side he is on -
beyond.  John, as always, sees but doesn't observe...

John's not the only one who saw but didn't observe. I never gave the angel statue a thought until it was brought up here on this thread! Duh. Just another cemetery statue to me, I never gave it one glance.

March 3, 2013 1:08 am  #256

I love the Angel imagery at the end of the series.

btw, ancientsgate,   you can buy region free DVD players and region free DVD ROM drives in the U.S.   I have a portable usb dvd rom drive (attaches to computer with usb cable),  about $50.   It's not marketd as 'region free'-   it just works.   And I have a dvd region free player by Pioneer ~$100,  works just fine. got one at Radio Shack, other via amazon.com.

Anyway,  I do enjoy my UK- made Sherlock DVDs more than the U.S. ones (no adds at the beginning...) -  and I can't  wait till Series 3 is available,  from Anywhere- I should be able to watch.

And I want to watch,  ASAP.    of course. 

March 3, 2013 6:33 am  #257

jenosborn wrote:

you can buy region free DVD players and region free DVD ROM drives in the U.S.   I have a portable usb dvd rom drive (attaches to computer with usb cable),  about $50.   It's not marketd as 'region free'-   it just works.   And I have a dvd region free player by Pioneer ~$100,  works just fine. got one at Radio Shack, other via amazon.com.
Anyway,  I do enjoy my UK- made Sherlock DVDs more than the U.S. ones (no adds at the beginning...) -  and I can't  wait till Series 3 is available,  from Anywhere- I should be able to watch.

Thanks for the info. I'm intrigued-- this honestly is the first thing I've heard that sounds possible for me. How do I know a DVD player is region-free? Will it be labeled as such?

How soon after it airs in the UK do you guys think the DVDs will go on sale?

March 3, 2013 12:37 pm  #258

GAHHHHHHH

Sorry, just a delayed excited reaction there. Sometimes I get all these Sherlock related emotions bubbling up inside me then I just feel like exploding now and again.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 3, 2013 3:03 pm  #259

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

GAHHHHHHH

Sorry, just a delayed excited reaction there. Sometimes I get all these Sherlock related emotions bubbling up inside me then I just feel like exploding now and again.

'Shergasm'. I'm used to these. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 3, 2013 7:16 pm  #260

Shergasm. Now I finally know what it's called. I thought it was a medical condition. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera