BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2013 1:22 pm  #21

Re: On er "Americanisations"

I also wondered why Amaricans can't read the "regular" one... I mean, I understand both, so for native speakers it can't be that hard...

For example: Swiss-german (I don't mean the dialects I mean the written language) differs from the "regular" German-german and we don't ttranslate the books... we just read them. And also the Germans read our books that way... It's just not that different...

February 28, 2013 1:26 pm  #22

That's true. The same goes for Austrian German as well. In both directions. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 28, 2013 2:58 pm  #23

An ASBO is an Anti-social Behaviour Order. It is imposed by the courts upon individuals. Within it it may contain such stipulations as: not entering certain areas, some sort of curfew, not being allowed to meet up in groups of more than say 2 people etc.

Our clothing size tend to be S M L XL for men, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc for women (not the same as the US sizes), men's shirts us inches collar size e.g. 16". Co fusing ain't it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 28, 2013 8:24 pm  #24

anjaH_alias wrote:

morninglemon wrote:

I have a somewhat related question for this thread. I'm in the US, and I watch Sherlock on Netflix. I've been wondering whether the Netflix version is the Americanized version or the BBC version. Is there a way to tell? I know for sure that the Netflix "Scandal" has the ashtray scene in it... unless there's a different ashtray scene in the BBC version.
I've also wondered ... there's a number of Americanisms in the script that always bothered me, and lately I've been wondering if the scenes were reshot to include them for American audiences. Such as when Sherlock tells Molly that she's gained 3 pounds since dating Jim (wouldn't the British determine weight in kg?), or that Irene's safe password is her measurements in INCHES - 32-24-34. Wouldn't European size measurements be in CM?

Reshot? Never, this would mean that they need the actors, or? The size measurements were already explained.... Another ashtray scene? What exactly do you mean?

I asked about this a while back, and someone (Davina?) explained that Brits use both systems talking about a person's weight. And let's not forget about "stone." I read a fair amount of British fiction and have noticed both systems being used here and there for weights and distances.

February 28, 2013 8:26 pm  #25

Davina wrote:

An ASBO is an Anti-social Behaviour Order. It is imposed by the courts upon individuals. Within it it may contain such stipulations as: not entering certain areas, some sort of curfew, not being allowed to meet up in groups of more than say 2 people etc.

Our clothing size tend to be S M L XL for men, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc for women (not the same as the US sizes), men's shirts us inches collar size e.g. 16". Co fusing ain't it!

I've watched both versions. I probably thought I had heard John wrong when he said ASBO, because we (Americans) mostly wouldn't know what it meant.
Lots of shoes here have both American and European sizes on them.

March 1, 2013 4:29 am  #26

Davina wrote:

I get the impression that an ASBO isn't quite like the 'community service' that was apparently used in the PBS version.  If I got stuck holding the spray paint, charged with vandalism and had to do community service, it would be annoying, but a good story to tell.  An ASBO seems to be more personal - I can see how a respected physician would be appalled at being called 'anti-social'.  It sounds like one step away from 'sociopath'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

May 4, 2013 8:14 pm  #27

i wish they wouldnt change it to americanise it. i understand that americans want to be able to 'immerse themselves' or w/e but how difficult is it to infer meanings of any sort of unfamiliar word?

in the case of the ASBO, as well, it has implications of being a sort of self-deprecating joke because ASBOs are generally associated with chavs of the type that hang around in packs wearing hoodies, drinking cans of beer and chucking rocks at cars. I think it would be better if americans didnt understand this, because it might motivate them to find out, and theyll learn something.

ask me about taking programming in college

Board footera