BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2013 8:33 am  #261

Re: Parade's End

I'm just watching it all over again. Went to Cologne yesterday and played the soundtrack constantly on my iPod. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 22, 2013 9:04 am  #262

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 25, 2013 2:15 pm  #263

So, it's on HBO shortly and there are masses and masses of reviews in the American Press. I am not going to put links here but suffice it to say if you Google Benedict's name Parade's End will appear with links to loads of reviews and articles. One point I would like to make is that comparisons between Parade's End and Downton Abbey are...how can I put it...fatuous!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 26, 2013 11:55 am  #264

A very good one from NYT with an - in my eyes - very accurate and fair comparison with DA.

http://tv.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/arts/television/parades-end-with-benedict-cumberbatch-and-rebecca-hall.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

February 27, 2013 5:15 am  #265

great link, thanks.   It  started just now here on the U.S. West Coast.    really lovely to look at,   and listen to. 

February 27, 2013 9:08 pm  #266

I watched it last night. Oh dear, oh dear...what the hell did they do to poor Ben's mouth?  That was so unnecessary.  It distracted me terribly.   

Lovely piece to look at; but unfortunately I'm not warming up to the characters or any of their privledged, conflicted issues so far.  I do like Ben best - especially in that scene where he comforts the little boy back to sleep and when he gently introduced him to that gorgeous little pony.  Otherwise, I'm not loving it as much as I wanted to.  Well, tonight is another 2 episodes.  Maybe I'll change my mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 27, 2013 9:40 pm  #267

Those cheek pads need getting used to. I suppose They wanted to give him a rounder look as Christopher is described being fat. But from a certain point on he doesn't wear them any longer. I'm not sure when that happens though. 

I read the book before I watched the film and it really helped me to understand many things that are just hinted at. And the language itself is often opaque; you really have to deduce what they mean. It is a repressed and repressive society dominated by strict rules and this is reflected in the language. 

Apart from that I really love the film, I'm just watching it for the third time. And it gets better every time because I see and understand more and more. 

February 27, 2013 11:11 pm  #268

KeepersPrice wrote:

I watched it last night. Oh dear, oh dear...what the hell did they do to poor Ben's mouth? That was so unnecessary. It distracted me terribly.

Lovely piece to look at; but unfortunately I'm not warming up to the characters or any of their privledged, conflicted issues so far. I do like Ben best - especially in that scene where he comforts the little boy back to sleep and when he gently introduced him to that gorgeous little pony. Otherwise, I'm not loving it as much as I wanted to. Well, tonight is another 2 episodes. Maybe I'll change my mind.

I'm with you on both counts. Ben sounds like someone punched him in the mouth and he is also walking like a gorilla

So far after watching first two hours I can see why it is so hard to cram 800 pages of book into five hours. But I will reserve final judgment until I have seen it all. It is a bit disconcerting to see stuffy Ben fall for Valentine a boyish imp of a waif who seems about half his age. Personally, I see no chemistry there at all. i do like the nutty Reverend Duchemin. He is hilarious

Disguise is always a self portrait

February 28, 2013 5:04 am  #269

Anyone know of streaming sites that still have working links for PE? I'm in the US but don't have HBO but I'm dying to see PE!

February 28, 2013 3:19 pm  #270

Well Christopher was actually supposed to pudgy  and a bit ponderous in his movements.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 28, 2013 3:21 pm  #271

Exactly. That's what acting's about. And he was still far more attractive than Ford describes him but that was the director's idea. 

February 28, 2013 5:21 pm  #272

I utterly loved Parade's End. If asked for my favorite between Sherlock and PE, I would be hard-pressed. But then, I'm a fan of English literature from the late 18th century to the early 20th century, and a fan of English period dramas on film (both on paper and on film : Cranford, North & South, Wives & Daughters, Jane Eyre, P&P, The Barchester Chronicles, I capture the castle, Brideshead revisited, A room with a view, Vanity Fair, etc etc!). Far from not being able to get into the preoccupations of privileged people in Edwardian days, I'm fascinated by them. I loved BC's acting and was quite (Ok totally) swept up in his romance with Valentine. I loved the humour in the show as well as the poignancy and the unabashed romantism. The other day at the coffee machine, a girl who has seen and enjoyed Sherlock (the only one in the office who knows the show apart from me) said she saw the first episode of PE and found it quite boring. Inside I was like "how can you??..". I guess it just goes to show again, how different we all are.

February 28, 2013 5:37 pm  #273

Well said, that's exactly how I feel about it. 

March 2, 2013 6:12 am  #274

I just caught up on PE through episode 4. It's awesome - so quick, I can't believe it's only an hour long. Most of it I kept thinking to myself, so much of Chrissy reminds me of Sherlock - the fact that his wife secretly loves how he knows everything, for one. The cheeks are distracting though - I find myself thinking, how is he drinking tea or eating in some scenes if he's got those plumpers in his mouth? (and how is he projecting his voice so deep with them in his mouth?? I can barely speak when I've got gum in one side of my mouth).

March 3, 2013 3:32 am  #275

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

I watched it last night. Oh dear, oh dear...what the hell did they do to poor Ben's mouth? That was so unnecessary. It distracted me terribly.

Lovely piece to look at; but unfortunately I'm not warming up to the characters or any of their privledged, conflicted issues so far. I do like Ben best - especially in that scene where he comforts the little boy back to sleep and when he gently introduced him to that gorgeous little pony. Otherwise, I'm not loving it as much as I wanted to. Well, tonight is another 2 episodes. Maybe I'll change my mind.

I'm with you on both counts. Ben sounds like someone punched him in the mouth and he is also walking like a gorilla

So far after watching first two hours I can see why it is so hard to cram 800 pages of book into five hours. But I will reserve final judgment until I have seen it all. It is a bit disconcerting to see stuffy Ben fall for Valentine a boyish imp of a waif who seems about half his age. Personally, I see no chemistry there at all. i do like the nutty Reverend Duchemin. He is hilarious

This is exactly how I felt as well. I wanted so much to love it, like I wanted to love the book. But, both were just too hard for me to connect with emotionally and if I can't connect there's not much point in taking the journey with the characters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

March 5, 2013 2:28 am  #276

Just finished viewing Parade's End  (finally ended,  here in the U.S.)-  it was a fine adaptation I thought.    And to look at its details,  in many ways it was as lovely or lovelier than Downton Abbey, and so fascinating to watch a spin on a similar backdrop of the ending of an era,  beginning of a new one.

Not an episodic soap opera like Downton,  I found it faster paced,  more of a twisted look into some fairly damaged people,   much more universal in its themes,  and very real in its sadness,  with some great nuanced performances.

March 5, 2013 2:34 am  #277

Starts here tomorrow night! Can't wait to check it out!

================================================================

March 5, 2013 9:12 pm  #278

Airing on Een in The Netherlands starts Thursday 12th March.

March 12, 2013 3:20 pm  #279

PE just won the South Bank Sky Award for Best TV Drama. More than deserved. Now hoping for the BAFTAs. 

March 12, 2013 4:47 pm  #280

Woohoo!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera