BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2013 8:50 pm  #1

I wonder if Doyle ever knew...

that over 100 years later we would still be obsessing over a character he tried once to kill off?
How is it that these stories still have revelance in the modern world? What is it about the mystery/crime fighting duo genre that still pulls us in?
I cannot think of a single other character in literature (at least in my small world!) who appears in so many other ways. TV, movies, other books.

I'm sitting here with VOL I of the Complete Novels & Stories in my lap. So much is still valid, even now. The other thing that has really changed is the technology.
It's pretty amazing when you think about it, no?

Last edited by crazybbcamerican (January 21, 2013 8:51 pm)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

January 22, 2013 4:51 pm  #2

Re: I wonder if Doyle ever knew...

Yeah, I often think about that myself. I know that he tried to kill Holmes off and everything but, I think he couldn't fail to be just a tiny bit impressed and pleased that he's had this much staying power. He'd probably think we were completely crazy as well though, which we are. All Sherlockians are.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 1, 2013 10:22 am  #3

Makes you wonder what it was that he actually wanted to be remembered for It wasn't Sherlock; he was done with that. He wanted us to read his historical fiction but I can't imagine they would be very interesting, when compared with Sherlock.

February 1, 2013 10:38 am  #4

Must be a strange feeling for a writer to be loved most for a creation you don't like and want to get rid off. But that's what readers do. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 1, 2013 10:48 am  #5

That and his work within Spiritualism. Oh those fairy tales!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 6, 2013 4:58 pm  #6

As for me, if Doyle were fond of Sherlock Holmes, one fourth of Holmes' attraction would have been lost. Doyle's resentment of his most famous creation, almost gives him a tragic hero dimention

But creating a character like this does warrent the creator's love. He did take all pains to make Holmes a popular hero, otherwise the readers wouldn't have been hooked by him.for the past 125 years.

February 6, 2013 5:25 pm  #7

Despite his later leanings towards spiritualism, the psychic world, and such, I doubt he ever knew anything at all about the future... ; )

I imagine he would be befuddled and amused by it all, and secretly pleased. But he also would likely be at least partially irritated to see his more "serious" work ignored, as he referred to his other writings. Being a good author doesn't necessarily make you the best judge of your own material--best to let popular opinion sort out all of that.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

February 6, 2013 9:51 pm  #8

Perhaps his 'hatred' for his creation might have given him a more critical eye when writing it? God knows I've seen enough writers who fall so madly in love with their own creations that they can see no fault in their work. His dispassion might have made the work better than it may have been had he remained enamoured of Holmes.

Any writers' dream is to have their work last longer than they do.

He might not have wanted to be remembered for the one thing (no one wants to be thought of as a one trick pony in their profession.) But I reckon he'd be at least mildly chuffed with how long the stories have persisted and influcenced people to this day.

Last edited by Mnemosyne (February 7, 2013 1:25 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

February 7, 2013 6:50 am  #9

Seeing how Sherlock Holmes is delineated in the books, it's clear Doyle was not in hatred of this character while creating it. Along with telling good detective stories, he has given much thought to this character too. If Watson was modelled after Doyle himself, then it would be safe to say he liked Holmes.

Dispassion matters, but IMHO, too much of it made the latter stories uninteresting

If I got a chance like Gulliver to call up and question whomever I like from among the dead, Doyle would be the one

February 7, 2013 8:08 pm  #10

holmes23 wrote:

If I got a chance like Gulliver to call up and question whomever I like from among the dead, Doyle would be the one

I'd love that too! But what would you ask him?

"Do you ship Johnlock?"

Personally, I think he always had an idea that he would bring Holmes back from the dead, otherwise why would he "kill him off" in such vague circumstances with no witnesses?

February 9, 2013 1:18 pm  #11

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

"Do you ship Johnlock?"

OMG how could I miss that?
I just wanted to ask some now what seems banal questions like

'What's your real attitude towards Holmes?

Did you secretly admire him and were too pompouss to admit it just because the genre he appears in is 'less worthy' ? 

Are you pleased to find he's still popular as in your times?

Don't you feel sorry for him because of your unkind attitude towards him?

Do you still believe in Spiritualism?
............etc

But, If I wasn't reminded of your priceless question, and if I got the chance to interview Doyle, it would have been a thorough WASTE

I would die to see his expression......would he startle or smirk?

After rereading the stories in a new johnlock insight, I have found ample evidence to hope for a smirk. Wasn't he just covert because of the laws?

What if I got it wrong? You know he's an intimidating fellow.....

But nothing would prevent me to hug him and thank him for giving us Sherlock Holmes and John H Watson

Personally, I think he always had an idea that he would bring Holmes back from the dead, otherwise why would he "kill him off" in such vague circumstances with no witnesses?

Who would want to kill off a golden goose? He must have known that he might need him in future. Or was he just manipulative just to make Holmes more pupular and more in demand( still because of monitory considerations) while he could devote hs full attention to other better things for the time being? Otherwise instead of killing Holmes off, he could have just stopped writing about him.

February 9, 2013 1:58 pm  #12

holmes23 wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Who would want to kill off a golden goose? He must have known that he might need him in future. Or was he just manipulative just to make Holmes more pupular and more in demand( still because of monitory considerations) while he could devote hs full attention to other better things for the time being? Otherwise instead of killing Holmes off, he could have just stopped writing about him.

I think he was very lucky that his audience had longer memories. In our high tech over night stardom age - people rise quickly & fall even quicker. These days, if you don't constantly send out reminders to people that you exist, you will soon be forgotten. Sherlock's readers had longer memories and higher respect for their contemporary cultural icons than we do now -  as a result, the icons that were created in those times last much longer than any icon that is created today.

February 24, 2013 2:25 pm  #13

Yeah. I'm really glad Moffat & Co aren't waiting 10 years before bringing Sherlock back.

@holmes23 - I like your questions anyway. They're very interesting and a lot more serious than mine, but you must ask him about Johnlock for sure! I like to think he'd smirk, but I'd be scared of him if he got angry, haha. There is so much Johnlock in the canon if you're looking for it!

Board footera