BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2012 6:08 pm  #1

TRF - German TV version

Dear me – I've seen that coming:
Sherlock and John won't drop the formal "Sie" in the German dubbed version.
They continue addressing each other like strangers...

Just been watching a clip from "Die Reichenbachfälle":
http://mediathek.daserste.de/sendungen_a-z/10318978_sherlock/10432014_extra-episode-3-ausschnitt-aus-der

Now I'm utterly frightened of the farewell scene at Bart's and John's soliloquy…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 8, 2012 6:30 pm  #2

Re: TRF - German TV version

Maybe he will start to use 'Du' towards the end? If they keep it formal it will not convey the right feeling. Perhaps Sherlock will be the first to use it? That would be revealing. John's soliloquy will just not work with 'Sie'!  How can it? How can he convey his devastation at Sherlock's death whilst keeping it formal? Ridiculous!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 8, 2012 6:32 pm  #3

I can't get the link to work properly. The excerpt doesn't actually come up on screen.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 8, 2012 6:47 pm  #4

Well, it's working fine with me here... sorry!

I can't imagine John at the graveside yet: "Don't be dead. Would you do this for me?"  would be: "Seien Sie nicht tot. Würden Sie das für mich tun?" This way I would talk to Ms Merkel or the Pope! (I'm not familiar with both of them btw)
Oh those prim and proper and over-corrected Germans!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 8, 2012 7:48 pm  #5

I like the  'der ReichenbachFall'  German clip- wow.

In the scene in the car on the way to the trial,  that John/Sherlock familiar exchange with
the great timing,  the  'I'll just be myself'   followed by  'Are you listening to me?' - John
says 'hören Sie mir überhaupt zu?' -  does seem a bit formal doesn't it. 

May 8, 2012 8:22 pm  #6

Yes – quite formal! 
We are talking about two young blokes in the 21st century who have apparently been living together for several months. Not only that they constantly have been saving each other's lives, they are willing to die for each other and call each other "friends".
Don't you think it's time to drop the formal address?

It would indeed be revealing if Sherlock started to say "Du" on the roof, Davina!
That is, he is no coward.
But does this apply to the German TV people in charge as well?
I'm not holding out too much hope…

Dubbing should be one of these law things.
It simply doesn't feel right.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 9, 2012 7:00 am  #7

The link problem might well be because I'm on I-pad. Going to try another computer later.

May 19, 2012 1:54 am  #8

I really fear that they are going to mess it up :S
That it's not going to be as emotional in the dubbing...

Just thought about what a foreshadowing it would be if the translate "Goodbye, John" to "Auf Wiedersehen, John" (which they will probably do). Because that, for the non-Germans out there, means strictly speaking of course rather something like "See you again". And so they will.

Board footera