BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2013 6:58 am  #1

Hello! I'm a disappointed ***Sherlockology*** visitor

I assumed that Sherlockology.com would be "THE" place for us Sherlock (BBC) fans (since it won an award for "Best Fan Site in Social Media).... but it doesn't even have a message board!  A show like Sherlock doesn't just demand discussion, it thrives on fan discussion. 

So, how can you win an award based on being the best "fan" site in "social" media, when you completely ignore the fans and deprive them of means to socialize?

Anyway.  I just downloaded both seasons, er, series (sorry, I'm an American, or yank), and watched all 6 episodes over the last 2 nights, and I'm hooked.  THIS is how Sherlock should be protrayed, if portrayed in the modern times. 

Elementary on CBS (with Johnnie Lee Miller) is NOWHERE close to Sherlock in terms of writing quality, direction, wit, drama, comedy, and most of all, the "heart and soul" of S ACD's works. 

Elementary's ONLY relation/connection to Sherlock Holmes is in name only.  It does not contain Sherlock's easter eggs and nods to true fans, it doesn't contain Holmes' core personality cues (like the cold analytical machine at work), it doesn't nearly come close to challenging  the viewer with its "deductions," and most of all, it completely maims the relationship between Holmes and Watson. 

This is rambling on and on.  Anyway, I'm Blink, love how the beeb has modernized Holmes, can't wait for season 3!

Last edited by BlinkULDHC (January 31, 2013 7:58 am)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Which one of the following statements does not belong with the rest?  Deduce away!

Luke, I am your father. -  Do you feel lucky, punk? -  Elementary, my dear Watson. - I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto. - Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

January 31, 2013 7:13 am  #2

Re: Hello! I'm a disappointed ***Sherlockology*** visitor

Hello, Blink, nice to have you here. If you want interaction of all kinds, serious and silly, you've come to the right place. I like Sherlockology for the information, it just isn't the site for getting into contact. I'm watching "Elementary" here in Germany, too, and I share your opinion. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 31, 2013 8:01 am  #3

Thanks for the kind welcome, SusiGo!

Sherlockology may be great for information, but just like Cumberbatch's Sherlock says, "I prefer to do my own editing" -- i.e., I'd rather gather information from the episodes themselves, and any pseudo-factual information from discussion with fans, rather than from a one-stop seemingly-authoritatuve source.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Which one of the following statements does not belong with the rest?  Deduce away!

Luke, I am your father. -  Do you feel lucky, punk? -  Elementary, my dear Watson. - I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto. - Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

January 31, 2013 8:11 am  #4

About the "quiz" in your signature: Id' say it's the last one from GWTW. It's the only one that's quoted correctly, all other are misquotes. Honestly, I had to check it.  Nice idea, BTW. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 31, 2013 8:27 am  #5

Hello and welcome to the forum Blink. Plenty of room for discussion here- information too if it takes your fancy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 31, 2013 9:19 am  #6

Hi Blink and welcome. I feel the same about the two shows (of course, how could I not?) . Feel free to rumble on....and on  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

January 31, 2013 12:46 pm  #7

Hi, welcome from me 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 31, 2013 3:20 pm  #8

hope you will "socialize" here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 31, 2013 4:58 pm  #9

Welcome!

Sherlockology is a great guide, but you're right - in a fandom you need to communicate.
So you're absolutely right here. Enjoy your time here, including many discussions and see you laterz!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 1, 2013 8:17 am  #10

sherlockology  is   more detailed  as far as props,  locations,  characters,  etc.   How  did you find this message board,  Blink?  

your signature is a very clever quiz.   I  had thought it was ELEMENTARY My  DEAR WATSON  because ACD  (and SH)  NEVER  said that  in the stories. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

February 24, 2013 12:33 pm  #11

Hey Blink. I agree with everything you said. That's a good start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 4, 2013 9:08 pm  #12

Hi guys, just wanted to say we've been working on a forum for a while. It's just one of those things we've not been able to finish due to constraints such as time (we all work full time sadly and run Sherlockology in our free time) and money (our server costs are rather expensive these days and we are always looking for ways in which we can help fund the running costs).

We currently utilize the other social media platforms as a way of open disucussion between fans and do understand the importance of getting a forum up and running as would love to offer people another way in which to disscuss the show and all things Sherlock.

Just wanted to let you know it's not that we've not thought about it, it's just a case of implentation in our current site isn't as easy as we had hoped. We have lots of ideas and things planned all of which will interlink with the current site to make it more of a engaging experience for all, but can only do as much as we can in the spare time we have and funds avaliable.

If you've any ideas that could help please do let us know. Our aim is to provide a fun and informative platform which can be enjoyed by all.

=========================================================================================================
www.sherlockology.com | Follow us on Twitter | Join us on Facebook | See us on YouTube | Read us on Tumblr 
=========================================================================================================

March 4, 2013 9:14 pm  #13

Nice to have you here, Sherlockology. I visit your site regularly and love all the information you can get there. I always do the calendar anagrams. Lovely one this month, btw. For me it is absolutely okay to come here for interaction and discussion and to you for other kinds of information. 

March 4, 2013 9:32 pm  #14

Hi Sherlockology, your site is so well done and full of information of any kind. I think yours was the first ever Sherlock fan site I visited back in 2011 - and I still do.
It never ocurred to me that there has to be a forum like this one here coming along with the Sherlockology site which is just a different kettle of fish. You can't please everyone - you are doing a very good job!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 4, 2013 10:04 pm  #15

Hi SusiGo and tobeornot221b, thanks for the welcome :o)

We've actually been a member for a while, just not had time to really interact sadly as always seem to be busy working on something, but we do visit when we can and will try to pop by more often. Can't believe we are already in March! Really don't know where the time goes sometimes.

www.sherlockology.com | Follow us on Twitter | Join us on Facebook | See us on YouTube | Read us on Tumblr 

March 4, 2013 11:22 pm  #16

Gahhhhh....Sherlockology are members of my forum.....*faints and dies*

Seriously, I used your website to collect all my Sherlock props and compile a list of locations for the tour that we are organising in March.

March 4, 2013 11:23 pm  #17

*actually dying*

March 4, 2013 11:52 pm  #18

Indeed, this is an astounishing development - welcome!

March 4, 2013 11:58 pm  #19

Glad we could help Sherlock Holmes, if we can assist in any way with the tour do let us know, just drop us an email at the usual info@ address. We did do a best route map a while ago so could maybe dig that out for you if that would help?

Thank you also to The Doctor. It's nice to be able to find some time to actually post on here.

March 5, 2013 12:04 am  #20

Yeah, I've basically got a group of people off this forum and we are all meeting together at Speedy's. Hoping to take them to as many Sherlock sights as possible. My main problem currently is trying to work out which ones to go to first, and which ones are sort of on their way to one another so we don't have to go back on ourselves kind of thing.

Hoping to start at Speedy's around lunchtime, so we can all have a bit to eat, and then end at the Sherlock Holmes pub in the evening (again so we can grab a bit to eat). In between those two locations it's fairly flexible!

Board footera