BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2012 8:38 pm  #1

Battersea and the graveside

I have just finished listening to the latest 'Baker St. Babes' podcast in which they discuss SIB. On reflection, it made me realise for the first time that the scene in Battersea Power station in which John is so rightly furious with Irene Adler for allowing Sherlock to believe that she is dead, having been witness to everything that Sherlock has been through, mirrors the very last scene in Reichenbach where Sherlock allows John to believe that he is dead and he witnesses the pain that John is feeling. I can't read Sherlock's expression when the camera turns to him, and perhaps that is deliberate after all it is supposed to be a 'cliffhanger'.

Just a thought, and one I decided to jot down as I haven't seen it suggested elsewhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 8, 2012 5:50 am  #2

Re: Battersea and the graveside

Sorry I don't quite get what you mean. Maybe you or someone else can explain it another way.

In the Adler scene, John is cranky because Sherlock has seemed not himself since her apparent death.
In the graveyard scene, John's upset over losing his friend; Sherlock appears pensive in the background.

I can't see what mirrors what. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 8, 2012 7:05 am  #3

I kind of know what you mean...although I don't think it's anything intentional, just one of those things that can be viewed to be a bit similar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 8, 2012 8:56 pm  #4

I suppose it came out as a stream of consciousness really. I should have stopped to think before writing.

Having experienced pain in believing that Irene is dead, I thought that Sherlock's experession on witnessing John going through the same emotions at his graveside was unreadable.

A shorter explanation and perhaps not such a complete one. I don't know whether it was a deliberate device or not, but there do seem to be several of these symmetries throughout the story arc. They simply add to the enjoyment.

October 6, 2012 8:13 am  #5

I'm with you on this one, Jane.
I think Sherlock at the graveside is very unreadable...presumably deliberately so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera