BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2013 9:48 am  #1

What event will prompt him to come back? (like in Skyfall)

Excuse my reference to Skyfall but after being assumed dead - Bond was perfectly happy playing dead & it took basically M reaching out to him to get him back. I don't know if Sherlock likes the quiet life (he probably doesn't) but I'm assuming that he wouldn't mind being dead (for a while) so what event would make him come back? I'm also guessing there will be multiple opportunities for him to resurrect himself but I'm not sure which moment he would choose. Does it require persistent begging from Mycroft? Does it require John to be in greivous danger? Does it require a case so weird that Lestrade basically puts out a hiring notice to the general public "anybody who can figure this out, we'll use you instead of Sherlock".

February 23, 2013 10:31 am  #2

Re: What event will prompt him to come back? (like in Skyfall)

I like to think he'll be working from the shadows for a while. Sending letters to the Scotland Yard about cases and stuff like that. And then, perhaps someone (John) figures out it's him, because who else? Or maybe he just misses his place at 221B. It is a nice flat, after all. 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

February 23, 2013 10:49 am  #3

This is a nice question. I assume he will come back when he's absolutely sure that his friends are safe now, respectively  when he has fulfilled his task, whatever this might be... crushing Moriartys network down, killing the snipers etc. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 23, 2013 11:47 am  #4

I think it may well either to save somebody he loves(e.g John) or somebody they love(e.g John's wife.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 23, 2013 11:48 am  #5

besleybean wrote:

I think it may well either to save somebody he loves(e.g John) or somebody they love(e.g John's wife.)

A theory many fan fictions deal with. Yes, could be also a possibility. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 23, 2013 3:15 pm  #6

I've asked myself this question as well and I'm sure that whatever event he choses to reveal himself, he will do it very effectful. He'll show off, as he always does, probably giving eveyone a heart attac.

Maybe he wants to clean his name before he comes back. I don't think that his friends would be in danger if Moriarty's people found out that his death was fake because Moriarty is dead and why should they care about a mission that lies in the past especially when the boss is dead?

Board footera