BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2013 8:23 pm  #101

Re: Recently watched movies.

I watched Walk the Line whilst on a trans-Atlantic flight. It is a really good film. I thought Joachim Phoenix was excellent as Cash. He and Ray Charles definitely had similarities didn't they.

I didn't know about the phone conversation. That was some brilliant improv!

I confess that I don't like Roger Moore as James Bond. I think I was so keen on his predecessors that his portrayal just didn't ring true for me. It got too far fetched and ridiculous for my taste but was definitely a product of its time. Many, many years ago my mother worked alongside Roger in a modelling agency. He started out as a male model and she always used to say that he still looked like he was trying to sell the suits he was wearing on screen. Jane Seymour is a very stunning lady.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 17, 2013 12:40 pm  #102

I saw 'Wreck it Ralph' yesterday and it was way better than I expected. Not my favourite pixar movie, but it enjoyed it none the less. I guess Disney just never dissapoints

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

February 18, 2013 12:02 pm  #103

Must see Wreck  it Ralph. It has had such good reviews.

The past few days I watched:

Avengers Assemble: I actually enjoyed this. Really good special effects and I liked the costumes. Definitely had to suspend my disbelief but hey that does the soul good some times. Bit of fangirling over Tom Hiddleston- golly he can act and makes a deliciously good baddy (does that even make sense). I laughed at the 'I'll have that drink now' line.

The Descendents: well looking back on this film I felt rather disappointed. I get the feeling that without George Clooney it would be pretty obvious that it is just not very special. The acting was good throughout. I liked the (obvious) allusions to the Hawaaian ancestry and inheritance but just felt the whole thing wasn't great.

On a completely different note I also watched Anchorman. Found this very, very funny in places and in others it just tries a bit too hard. Gosh! I did laugh though. Not every joke works and it can be a bit 'schoolboy' humour but it was hilarious at times. 'You have bad hair'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 18, 2013 6:57 pm  #104

The Lovely Bones. Wow. Kinda blew me away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 18, 2013 10:07 pm  #105

I recently saw the movie called "The Ultimate Gift". It's an incredibly good movie, although tear-inducing for some.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

February 19, 2013 9:41 am  #106

JAWS THE REVENGE - The first movie is pretty much perfect and it makes one wonder how did they go this wrong? The earlier sequels were bad but this was downright horrible. So suddenly the shark has this mental connection to the Brodys and follows them to Bahamas where there are no great white sharks cause the water's too warm. This movie makes no sense.

SLEEPER - A great Woody Allen slapstick-comedy where Woody's character is frozen after some complications in his run-of-the-mill ulcer check-up and he's awoken 200 years in the future. I wonder when we'll get things like the "sex booth" and the "orgasm orb".

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN - It's like Josh Whedon's THE AVENGERS only released in 1948. The characters had their own movies earlier (Lugosi/Dracula, Chaney Jr./Wolfman, Strange/Frankenstein's monster) and here they're all together. Even the Invisible Man makes an "appearance". Pretty funny at times.

JURASSIC PARK 3 - Hadn't seen this since it came out and it's even worse than my first viewing. The movie makes no sense at all.

THE FLY - A great film and one of my favorites from the Cronenberg. That man really has his own style. The sequel with Stoltz is one of the worst movies I've seen.

CREEPSHOW 2 - Three horror stories. None of them are very interesting, the hitchhiker one at least is somewhat bloody. I wonder where the writers of I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER got the idea for their movie. I roll me eyes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

February 21, 2013 7:23 am  #107

Agreed that Jaws film is complete *******. The Fly is a great film that I haven't seen in a loooong while. Sleeper is a very funny film. Though I think you'll be waiting a long while! I think there is a problem with sequels. The Abbott and Costello film sounds interesting. They were never my favourite double act, I loved Laurel and Hardy, but this sounds interesting. Where/how did you watch it?

I've just watched over the past few days:

Chicago- with Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta Jones and Richard Gere. I thought this a wonderful translation of a stage show to the big screen. You can see why Oscars were won for this.

Jane Eyre (2011)- a favourite novel of mine translated onto the screen in a wonderful BBC (of course) production. The cinematography/ camerawork is simply beautiful. There are many scenes which are reminiscent of the Dutch School of painting. The use of candlelight is fantastic. The leads are played wonderfully by Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender (her plainness and child-like quality, his eyes and sheer passion). Dame Judi Dench in a supporting role is super. Everything about this film is a delight. The scenery of the Yorkshire Moors is so brutal. Nominated for an Oscar and deserved more. Won several other awards.

February 21, 2013 10:36 am  #108

@Davina - I saw the Abbott and Costello movie on Netflix. It was the first film I saw from the couple. Out of these comedy duos/groups from the 30-40s my favorite one are the Marx Brothers. I admit I don't watch movies this old very often. I really should watch more cause a lot of classic films were made back then.

Today I'm going to see LINCOLN and ARGO with a friend of mine. I've not yet seen CHICAGO. I'm not really a fan of musicals unless you call THE BLUES BROTHERS, THIS IS SPINAL TAP and TENACIOUS D - IN THE PICK OF DESTINY musicals. Those I love. Haven't even seen MOULIN ROUGE if you can believe that.

Watched Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD a couple days ago. That movie is still pretty awesome. Romero's finest work to date. I always pair this film to the Twin Towers because it was this movie that I was watching when my brother came to my room and said that the planes crashed the World Trade Center.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 21, 2013 5:57 pm  #109

Recently watched...

8 Miles
The Lovely Bones

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 21, 2013 6:33 pm  #110

@DramaGod Oh The Marx Brothers were brilliant! I was thinking of duos when I said Laurel and Hardy. I used to absolutely adore Harpo and Chico mada me laugh! Groucho was such a clever guy too.

The Blues Brothers is a real favourite here. You should try and watch Moulin Rouge if you can. I know it is a musical but it is absolutely groundbreaking in many ways. Also very tragic.

I am desperate to go and see Lincoln and Argo.

@Mary Me I have got 8 mile recorded on the TV and will be watching it soon. I am a big Eminem fan anyway. The Lovely Bones is a book I never plucked up the courage to read and again with the film, it is the same. Maybe I need some Dutch courage to watch it.

I am going to watch Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman- in it, not actually watching it with him- which is on TV tomorrow, again I am recording it as it is on a stupid o'clock!

February 21, 2013 10:45 pm  #111

Just saw ARGO. What a great movie. Especially the last 25 minutes were so damn well constructed. This is the kind of movie that they could've easily needlessly stretched to 2,5 hours but I'm glad they didn't. There's no fat in this movie, every scene and performance has it's purpose. Highly recommended.

February 22, 2013 10:49 am  #112

Oooooooooo I can't wait to go and see it now. Praise indeed! 

February 24, 2013 8:19 pm  #113

Watched My Week With Marilyn today. Based closely upon real events during the filming of The Prince and The Showgirl starring Lawrence Olivier and Marilyn Monroe this is a super film. Although it is romantic in parts it also clearly shows the fragility of Marilyn. The cast includes: Michelle Williams, Kenneth Branagh, Eddie Redmayne, Dame Judi Dench, Zoe Wanamaker and Emma Watson and these are superb throughout. Michelle Williams in particular gives a stunning portrayal of the tragic star herself. I can thoroughly recommend this film. Action movie it is not but it has very real class.

Yesterday I watched Jonah Hex? What can I say? Loosely (word used advisedly) upon the DC comics and with, in theory, a strong cast including John Malkovich, Josh Brolin ( I couldn't understand much of what his character was saying) Megan Fox (dodgy accent) and Michael Fassbender (fantastic Irish accent but then it should be and i liked the 'tattoos') this film is pretty much a directorial car crash. I am not slow on the uptake (really...I'm not) but not having read the comics I actually did not understand what the hell was going on most of the time. The basic story line is fine it's all the 'he's half dead and is able to kind of speak to dead people thing' I couldn't get. I quite liked the steam punk nods in this Western. I am always willing to suspend disbelief when watching a film but the characters and story have to be presented by a director in a way which allows the audience to do this. Needless to say, here, it just didn't happen.

Last edited by Davina (February 24, 2013 8:21 pm)

February 25, 2013 3:03 am  #114

I watched A Beautiful Mind yesterday, a film I'd been meaning to watch for years.
It was really good but the dubbing just annoyed the hell out of me. That's why I prefer watching the original. 

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 25, 2013 9:18 am  #115

Men Only... Do you know that feeling when you're totally regretting to have watched something? Now, I regret it. The only funny thing about it (though I wouldn't actually use the word 'funny') was that the 'nurse' was portrayed by Zoe Telford, who's playing Sarah Sawyer in TBB / TGG. And in Men Only Jamie (Martin Freeman) asks her if her reason for not wanting him is because he's no doctor. lol

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 25, 2013 12:04 pm  #116

A Beautiful Mind is one I aim to watch really soon. I shall not bother watching Men Only as I have better things to do (and films to watch) with my time.

I just watched A Dangerous Method. This film is based upon a stage play that was actually originally a film script. It is basically about the relationship between Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and one of their patients Sabina Spielrein. The leads are played by Viggo Mortensen, Michael Fassbender and Keira Knightley. The director is David Cronenberg. It is a fascinating study of the relationship between the two men. But there is moe to it than just that. Much in particular is also explored of Carl Jung's personal life. The portrayals are excellently done. I found the postscripts at the end of the film particularly moving. Certainly a film worth seeing, most especially for anyone interested in psychoanalysis.

There is also an interesting piece available on YouTube in which David Cronenberg explains how the characters' accents were decided upon. That Freud and Jung would have spoken in High German to each other and therefore they speak in Received Pronunciation English in the film, with Freud having the slightly more formal accent. Sabina is given a Russian accent on her English voice as, although she was a fluent German speaker, she was Russian and she was therefore most likely to have spoken English with a Russian accent. I found this insight into the choice of characters' voices a fascinating one.

February 25, 2013 3:43 pm  #117

Rise of The Guardians was surprisingly hilarious. I loved Hugh Jackman's voice for the Easter Bunny. Santa was portrayed as a big, scary Russian and that was an interesting twist. Very nice storyline. Jude Law was a great villain, normally his voice gives me the chills in a completely different way ;)

February 27, 2013 7:41 am  #118

Shaun of The Dead. This really made me laugh aloud in parts and there's even a tiny bit part for Martin Freeman.

March 2, 2013 8:33 am  #119

Well I have watched quite a few films over the past few days. I'll just give my tuppenyworth on one in this post:

PROMETHEUS- this has a stunning cast and is directed by Ridely Scott. Within the film there are some great performances but as a whole there is something not right. One problem, IMO, is the pacing, another is that some of the characterisations are poor and there does not seem to be genuine connections between some of the characters.

I loved Fassy's portrayal of David however. The allusions to Lawrence of Arabia (you even see a clip from the film near the start) and David's attempt to model himself upon Peter O'Toole's portrayal of T.E.Lawrence, even down to dying his hair and using the same voice and phrases, are interesting ones. I am assuming that the choice of T.E.Lawrence  was a reflection of Lawrence's own close liaison with the Arabs- there are distinct parallels here. Considering his character is a robot his is one of the strongest personalities on board.

March 2, 2013 5:20 pm  #120

Blue Steel - Actually I was a little bit disappointed. Jamie Lee Curtis was brilliant as always but this film got me bored. Silver's one-dimensional character Eugene Hunt is so vile and despicable that we become too infuriated to be scared. Despite that there's much focus on him, there is little character development. Pity. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera