BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2013 12:36 am  #501

Re: Free Rants

veecee wrote:

Mnemosyne wrote:

Earwigs give me the creeps too as do Devil's Coach horse beetles and and cockchafers (yes, that's their name, even the name is *wrong* sounding.)

Don't get me started on wasps and spiders.

What are Devil's Coach horse beetles? I won't ask about the other one.

Devil's Coach Horse beetle:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_coach_horse_beetle[/url] 
(might need to copy and paste that link for it to work)

When I was in uni (Manchester of all places.) Our halls of residence were not only miles away from anywhere useful but were also weirdly infested with cockchafers every year:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchafers
Totally harmless but when they fly about they make the most awful sound so I don't really like them.

We also had silverfish and asbestos but the cockchafers really stick in my mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

February 6, 2013 2:15 am  #502

Mnemosyne wrote:

veecee wrote:

Mnemosyne wrote:

Earwigs give me the creeps too as do Devil's Coach horse beetles and and cockchafers (yes, that's their name, even the name is *wrong* sounding.)

Don't get me started on wasps and spiders.

What are Devil's Coach horse beetles? I won't ask about the other one.

Devil's Coach Horse beetle:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_coach_horse_beetle[/url] 
(might need to copy and paste that link for it to work)

When I was in uni (Manchester of all places.) Our halls of residence were not only miles away from anywhere useful but were also weirdly infested with cockchafers every year:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchafers
Totally harmless but when they fly about they make the most awful sound so I don't really like them.

We also had silverfish and asbestos but the cockchafers really stick in my mind.

Ugh! DCHB reminds me of carpenter ants.
Not crazy about the other one, either.

February 6, 2013 2:16 am  #503

Davina wrote:

Why ever not?

Nice try, Davina, but we know you're not so innocent.

February 6, 2013 2:18 am  #504

equiraptor wrote:

Mnemosyne wrote:

cockchafers (yes, that's their name, even the name is *wrong* sounding.)

There have been five Royal Navy ships named HMS Cockchafer.</random>

Oh, the jokes are too easy!

February 6, 2013 6:42 am  #505

Appropriate name!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 6, 2013 7:04 am  #506

veecee wrote:

equiraptor wrote:

Mnemosyne wrote:

cockchafers (yes, that's their name, even the name is *wrong* sounding.)

There have been five Royal Navy ships named HMS Cockchafer.</random>

Oh, the jokes are too easy!

Let's face it you wouldn't readily admit to working there would you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 6, 2013 8:34 am  #507

Not keen on silverfish either. We used to have lots in our old house when I was a child and they occasionally emerge here. The asbestos is more worrying!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 6, 2013 6:15 pm  #508

Ew, yes, Silver-fish give me the creeps. I don't really know what they are, though. Are they bugs?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

February 6, 2013 10:06 pm  #509

Molly Hooper wrote:

Ew, yes, Silver-fish give me the creeps. I don't really know what they are, though. Are they bugs?

Yup, and apparently they will eat *anything*.

February 7, 2013 8:44 am  #510

ANYTHING? Eek! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 7, 2013 1:51 pm  #511

BLOODY PRINTERS!!! Wireless? Clueless more like! Grrrrrrrrrr!

February 16, 2013 8:36 pm  #512

The most terrifying thin ghappened to me today. I went on to the field to see my mum's friends dog (A beautiful silver border collie with blue eyes) and me a my friend went to stroke her. She started growlingand the owner told me to step back so I did. But she just lept at me and bit my arm. I screamed and shook him off but then he knocked me over and sunk his teeth into my leg. I struggled up and the owner managed to control him but it was so scary. I hobble dback home and nearly passed out in the process. I had a gash along my arm and puncture wounds in the back of my knee 
which resulted in 3 happy hours waiting in casualty. What a lovely way to start my half term!

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

February 16, 2013 8:45 pm  #513

Molly,
So sorry! I once had a dog I knew bite me suddenly while I was petting it as well. It still growls and goes for me, and I've seen it be agressive with others.I never figured out what happened to make it snap.
Anyway, I'm glad you went to what we call Emergency. You have to be careful -- especially about puncture wounds -- and being sure the dog was vaccinated.
I still love dogs and hope you still like or love them, too.

February 16, 2013 8:47 pm  #514

Oh no, Molly, this hurts so much! And how frightening, poor you!
A year ago, a dog bit me in the belly and one could see at first hardly any scratch, but I had a huge haematoma for more than two weeks.

How do you feel now, any better?

The owner is still your mum's friend?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 16, 2013 9:02 pm  #515

Poor you, Molly!
When I was a young girl, a huge St. Bernard bit me in my back and was trying to throw me to the ground. Fortunately, I could get hold of a fence and he didn't succeed. Oh, I know what you've been through.
Get well soon and try not to develop a fear of dogs.( I didn't.)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 16, 2013 9:14 pm  #516

My son was dragged to the ground by a dog, when he was 2. Thankfully not only was he not badly hurt, he also doesn't remember it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 16, 2013 9:23 pm  #517

Thankfully, I still love my little dog to bits though I don't perticularly want to go near that other one again! Yeah, my mum's still vfriends with the lady; she was crying afterwards and was like I'll pay for your ripped clothes, I'm really sorry!  I'm all better now, just a bit sore!
Wow, all your stories sound awful; much more dramatic than mine!!

February 17, 2013 3:54 pm  #518

It may have gone into protection mode I.e. protecting the owner. She needs to have a muzzle on it in public places now she knows there is a risk of it attacking and biting people. Luckily we don't have rabies in the UK so no worries there. I assume your tetanus jabs are up-to-date.

Poor you Molly. One of our dogs bit me badly a couple of years ago on my hand. Long story, but he gets possessive over things, I misread the situation when he had taken a portable phone and got one, big bite. I ended up with 10 stitches and antibiotics. Thankfully your clothes seem to have offered some protection.

I still love my dogs, the other one is a total sweetie with everyone but can be a typical terrier with some other dogs. I don't totally trust the one that bit me though. Sadly Springer Spaniels can be a bit odd like that.

I wish you a speedy recovery my dear.

Xxx

February 18, 2013 1:01 am  #519

Wow, all your dog biting stories sound so horrifying and scary. I'm a huge dog lover and know they can turn on you and cause serious harm, but imagining it and hearing about it are two different things. I'm glad you all had positive outcomes from your encounters and that you still love the animals afterwards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

February 18, 2013 3:55 am  #520

Davina wrote:

It may have gone into protection mode I.e. protecting the owner. She needs to have a muzzle on it in public places now she knows there is a risk of it attacking and biting people. Luckily we don't have rabies in the UK so no worries there. I assume your tetanus jabs are up-to-date.

Poor you Molly. One of our dogs bit me badly a couple of years ago on my hand. Long story, but he gets possessive over things, I misread the situation when he had taken a portable phone and got one, big bite. I ended up with 10 stitches and antibiotics. Thankfully your clothes seem to have offered some protection.

I still love my dogs, the other one is a total sweetie with everyone but can be a typical terrier with some other dogs. I don't totally trust the one that bit me though. Sadly Springer Spaniels can be a bit odd like that.

I wish you a speedy recovery my dear.

Xxx

Rage syndrome in your Springer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

Board footera