BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2013 4:39 pm  #701

Re: Chit-chat

besleybean wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to appear dismissive of CBT.
But I do 1st need to rule out that this isn't  infact something physically wrong.

I wish you all the best, besley! Here in the States, many "psychological" problems are treated as biologicaly-based-- in other words, there is a physical (brain function) reason for the depression, bipolarity, etc. Talk therapy is a big help, but medications are used extensively, along with lifestyle modifications-- better food choices, more exercise, better sleep, etc. The mind and body are extremely interconnected.

January 28, 2013 4:44 pm  #702

Oh yes, I understand that...
But what if this isn't anxiety, but angina,for instance?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 28, 2013 4:44 pm  #703

Had a "nice" test of my psychic balance today.
Got up and had a sick cat at home. My vet sent me further to the next big city to a animal clinique.
I had had almost nothing for breakfast, had to pass a tunnel and a highway. (Had attackes in tunnels and on highways in the past.)
Thought I wouldn't manage. I did. I guess it was because I really, really had to.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 28, 2013 4:47 pm  #704

besleybean wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to appear dismissive of CBT.
But I do 1st need to rule out that this isn't  infact something physically wrong.

Very sensible of you. This is exactly what I did too (at the behest of my doctor... Who weirdly enough is called John. It never fails to amuse me.) There can be underlying medical complications with the symptoms you describe. Fingers crossed it isn't anything serious and can be easily treated. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 28, 2013 4:54 pm  #705

besleybean wrote:

Oh yes, I understand that...
But what if this isn't anxiety, but angina,for instance?

Right, a complete physical with appropriate testing to rule out things is always a first step, especially if you're at high risk for cardiac trouble (family history, obesity, diabetes, sedentary lifestyle, symptoms that could be heart-related).

January 28, 2013 4:57 pm  #706

Mattlocked wrote:

Had a "nice" test of my psychic balance today. Got up and had a sick cat at home. My vet sent me further to the next big city to a animal clinique. I had had almost nothing for breakfast, had to pass a tunnel and a highway. (Had attackes in tunnels and on highways in the past.) Thought I wouldn't manage. I did. I guess it was because I really, really had to.

Life is stressful, even in the best of times, that's for sure. Anyone who's a parent (or pet owner, for that matter) knows that-- what we never thought in a million years that we could do or say or be, guess what, when pushed to do, say, or be it, we rose to the occasion, just because we had to and no one else could do it for us. I wonder sometimes if things like that are some kind of test. I hope your kitty will be okay!

January 28, 2013 5:09 pm  #707

At least it made me a bit proud that I managed. Not to forget the additional psychical stress caused by a suffering cat next to you in the car....
He had someting stick quite deeply in his left eye. He's now fine so far, now he needs eye drops every few hours (I have to go to work...) and is not allowed to leave the house for the next 1-2 weeks. He won't be amused. So more "tests" to come. ;-)

I think I never thought about physical tests because of my "psychical weakness" so far.... But of course body and soul are very connected.

January 28, 2013 5:14 pm  #708

Mattlocked wrote:

At least it made me a bit proud that I managed. Not to forget the additional psychical stress caused by a suffering cat next to you in the car........So more "tests" to come. ;-) I think I never thought about physical tests because of my "psychical weakness" so far.... But of course body and soul are very connected.

You should be proud of yourself; you're a survivor, and you proved that you can do what you need to do, when you have to. Not everyone is that brave, so good for you!

As for the body and mind connection, we folks who hang out on the Benedict photo thread should be well-aware of that-- why else, because of our love for the man, do we constantly thud off our chairs and have to cushion ourselves with mattresses on the floor? One look at His Fineness, our minds go *flip, flop*, and down we go. *smile*

January 28, 2013 5:53 pm  #709

Fine. But for tonight some Sherlock dose will be perfect. I will apply it to me while lying on the couch, so no risk for body or soul. As long as I don't choose TRF of course. :-)

January 28, 2013 9:48 pm  #710

Mattlocked wrote:

At least it made me a bit proud that I managed. Not to forget the additional psychical stress caused by a suffering cat next to you in the car....
He had someting stick quite deeply in his left eye. He's now fine so far, now he needs eye drops every few hours (I have to go to work...) and is not allowed to leave the house for the next 1-2 weeks. He won't be amused. So more "tests" to come. ;-)

I think I never thought about physical tests because of my "psychical weakness" so far.... But of course body and soul are very connected.

I think you coped admirably. And there is nothing like a dose of Sherlock to soothe any irritation (or boredom.) And I agree, no TRF for you... or any of us for that matter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 1, 2013 7:50 am  #711

Mattlocked, you faced your fears because you knew you could do it.  AND because you had your sweet pet in the car who needed help.   we are all proud of you.  

Besleybean--I've suffered thru depression and anxiety.   But  based on what I've just read,  from your posts,  perhaps you should see a cardiologist.   Angina  is a heart problem.   It  could be heartburn too, but you don't know that.  I'm not a doctor,  I'm just someone who's been thru some of the same symptoms you seem to have.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

February 1, 2013 11:55 am  #712

Mnemosyne wrote:

.... there is nothing like a dose of Sherlock to soothe any irritation (or boredom.) And I agree, no TRF for you... or any of us for that matter. 

TRF is my go-to episode when I want a Sherlock fix. My favorite. Each to his own, right?

February 1, 2013 4:55 pm  #713

Me too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 1, 2013 7:21 pm  #714

ancientsgate wrote:

Mnemosyne wrote:

.... there is nothing like a dose of Sherlock to soothe any irritation (or boredom.) And I agree, no TRF for you... or any of us for that matter. 

TRF is my go-to episode when I want a Sherlock fix. My favorite. Each to his own, right?

Whatever shakes your... boat.

I'm going to shut up now.

February 15, 2013 8:48 pm  #715

Hi ! I come back home !

I don't have the time to come here. Morever, I had problems because I hesit to choice a futur job : in the medical or cinema...or TV or journalist...but my parents want that I choice a medical job...

I have many exams after my holidays of march and I am very tired...

February 15, 2013 9:05 pm  #716

Hi Emy! How nice to hear from you! 

Must be hard to make such decision... 
Are you alright now?

Are those your final exams already?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 17, 2013 5:12 pm  #717

Hello,

I thought I'd ask for a bit of advice here. My husband and I are going to take a 2.5 week trip to Europe this summer for our 20th anniversary. The travel agency we are going to use plans trips to multiple countries based on cities of interest that are covered in their travel areas. Not all cities are covered. He plugged in a couple of cities that he had seen when in the navy but since there was not regular train service to those cities they were not included.

So we need to decide what cities/countries we want to visit. The advice comes in here. Many of you are from different parts of Europe and I would like some input from you as to what is a must see, verses what might be something to either to avoid or not to bother with. This will be the only trip I can take to Europe in my lifetime so I want to make the most of it.

One of the places I thought I'd like to go is Cardiff since that is where they film shows like Dr. Who. My daughter even found something on-line called "The Doctor Who Experience" I don't know if Cardiff is one of the cities covered, but it sounded like a good idea. I know that we will most likely spend a couple of days in London since we will be flying into Heathrow. Are all the typical touristy things worth the time? - like Big Ben, The London Tower, Buckingham Palace etc...

I have been warned away from France by two people who took trips to Europe. I thought that it might be nice to see Paris, but both of these folks told me that the French do not like like Americans and that we will be treated rudely if we go. I'm not sure I believe that. 

Germany will probably be one of our stops, so what is an area we may want to explore there? Same question for Switzerland. I think he also wants to go to Greece and/or Spain. Personally I would love to see the Highlands of Scotland. One of my favorite movies was Highlander if only for the gorgeous cinematography. Of course big burly men playing around with broadswords wasn't too hard on my sensibilities! 

Thanks in advance for any input.

Alice I

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 17, 2013 5:21 pm  #718

Hi Alice, 

depends what you want to see in Germany. I'd always recommend Berlin. It's an amazing city, full of history and very modern at the same time. Another highlight would be the part of the River Rhine between the cities of Koblenz and Bingen which is a UNESCO World Heritage site - hills with old castles and ruins on both sides of the river, vineyards and small cities. You can also take boat trips on the river. 
And it's not far from Cologne which has a spectacular cathedral. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 17, 2013 6:41 pm  #719

London and the main sights you mentioned is definitely worth a trip. I would suggested catching a show at the theatre in the West End whilst you are here. I don't know about Cardiff. I've never been there but it is quite small. Scotland is beautiful and worth visiting, perhaps Edinburgh and then up to the Highlands. We stayed on the Isle of Mull years ago, simply stunning. In the summer take insect repellent though as the midges are a right nuisance.

I've briefly visited Paris and is is a beautiful city. I don't know about their reaction to the Americans. In tourist areas I have often found the French to be... a little off-hand (being tactful towards our French members here). If you can speak French I've found it helps, a lot. I've always enjoyed our trips  to Normandy and the Western coastal areas. We used to go every New Year.

Switzerland is also a beautiful country. Geneva is worth visiting and the Alps are breathtaking.

Germany: I love Munich but Berlin is on my list of must visits and I hope to visit sometime this year.

With Greece and Spain bear in mind the economic situation in those countries. Barcelona is the city in Spain I would visit if I were you. It has amazing architecture (Gaudi) a strong Catalan heritage with great food etc.

Personally I adore Italy. Rome is an amazing city as is Florence. I have a passion (!) for Venice. Everything about Italy is intense: the food, the wine, the culture, the language. My visit to Pompeii was also a highlight. I would avoid Naples though! Sicily was an unexpected delight.

Gosh, rather a lot of suggestions there. I hope that is of help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 17, 2013 7:21 pm  #720

I'm assuming you are American like me, so I'll give my humble opinion from that perspective.
Absolutely, London and Paris. And although it sounds corny, the evening dinner cruises on their respective rivers are charming. (Only ran into one truly rude person in Paris, and I got the impression he was rude to everyone.) You can take hop-on-and-off bus tours of either city. It helps you get your bearings, and you can spend just as much time as you like in each spot. Some things we particularly liked in London besides the most well-known you mentioned: the recreated Globe Theater and Churchhill's warrooms. I only went to the latter to humor my husband, but ended up fascinated. Ditto the Naval Museum. London is geographically smallish, so if you like to walk, you can see a lot that way. Also, plenty of nightlife if you're looking for it. Don't forget the West End. Side trip to Sissinghurst was wonderful (if you'll be there during the growing season). I would say the same about Monet's gardens outside Paris. Oh, yeah, and cheese and wine in Paris.
Long time since I've been in Germany -- but remember good food and beer.
Also enjoyed Spain a long time ago. Wonder how the economic crisis is affecting tourism in Spain.

Board footera