BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2013 4:33 pm  #1

Welsh meal wanted!

Is there anyone Welsh around? Or someone who isn't but can recommend a Welsh meal?

I'm teaching an English class with 13 year old teens. After every unit, we go to the kitchen and cook a meal that comes from the area the unit was about. We only started this "tradition" after the last unit when I became their new teacher, and finding something was easy because there was the recipe of a Scottish dessert in their exercise book.

Now I'm not a cooking teacher, and the teens aren't too mighty. So we would need something that's easy to cook (or fry or bake or arrange) but also easy to like.

Please, does someone have an idea? The class is really heart-warming, by the way: One of the girl's family name is Reichenbach, and another girl recognised (and liked) the Sherlock matchstick man I painted on the board to explain "this" and "that". They really deserve your help!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 13, 2013 4:49 pm  #2

Re: Welsh meal wanted!

OMG, she's called Reichenbach? I hope she's a Sherlock fan. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 13, 2013 4:53 pm  #3

She's Baptist and not allowed to watch TV for fun... 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 13, 2013 4:55 pm  #4

Oh, what a shame.  I hope you'll find some Welsh recipes. I'll go on reading for a bit. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 13, 2013 4:59 pm  #5

February 13, 2013 8:12 pm  #6

You can try Welsh cakes. The recipe can be found through this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/welsh_cakes_16706

This link is full of Welsh recipes:

http://www.recipesfromwales.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 13, 2013 9:02 pm  #7

Welsh cakes seem to be exactly what I've been looking for. Now I only need to find out it there is self-raining flour available in Germany...
I'll try them myself at the weekend and tell you about it. Thank you!!

February 13, 2013 9:08 pm  #8

Don't worry, it should be possible to use some baking powder instead 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 13, 2013 9:32 pm  #9

I had the problem before and it works with baking powder. You'll just have to look for the ratio. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 13, 2013 9:33 pm)

February 13, 2013 9:38 pm  #10

Yes, I'll just go with baking powder and ordinary flour.
Results will be documented and posted on Sunday!

February 13, 2013 10:26 pm  #11

Yes. Baking powder is the way to go (that's what they put in self-raising flour to make it...self-raise). The husband of a friend of mine is Welsh and she would always come in with Welsh Cakes on St. David's Day for the children at Pre-school and the staff to share.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 13, 2013 11:01 pm  #12

Schmiezi wrote:

She's Baptist and not allowed to watch TV for fun... 

But Sherlock is educational...it makes you think.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

March 15, 2013 6:26 pm  #13

So, finally it's done! We went to the kitchen this week and made Welsh cakes. They were fantasitc, even though we had to use apples or chocolate instead of raisins. Basically because I've been the only one around who likes raisins.
Pictures will follow, promised!

The next unit deals with the Blackpool Illuminations, so I guess we'll give fish and chips a try!

March 16, 2013 11:55 am  #14

Harry Ramsden's fish and chips are the most famous in the UK.

Board footera