BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2013 11:22 am  #201

Re: The weather

Mnemosyne wrote:

Cold, icy but snow is now gone... back to work (boo!)

And our overnight snow just plain never happened. I went to bed at midnight with the internet weather site I use and the TV forecasters saying at least 6 inches, maybe 10 by this morning. Woke up at 6AM to a mere dusting, and the guys on the TV are saying, "It was one of those things! Very hard to forecast!"  Ooookaaaaay. But you know, I'd rather this than the other way around, where they're sitting on their hands saying nothing, and we wake up to a 2 inch thick coating of ice on everything, trees falling all over the place, and no electricity for a week-- that happened to us in Dec. 2008-- those stupid meterorologist guys had no clue any of that was going to happen, apparently. Awful. So this scenario today is waaaay better than that.

January 22, 2013 11:50 am  #202

ancientsgate wrote:

Mnemosyne wrote:

Cold, icy but snow is now gone... back to work (boo!)

And our overnight snow just plain never happened. I went to bed at midnight with the internet weather site I use and the TV forecasters saying at least 6 inches, maybe 10 by this morning. Woke up at 6AM to a mere dusting, and the guys on the TV are saying, "It was one of those things! Very hard to forecast!"  Ooookaaaaay. But you know, I'd rather this than the other way around, where they're sitting on their hands saying nothing, and we wake up to a 2 inch thick coating of ice on everything, trees falling all over the place, and no electricity for a week-- that happened to us in Dec. 2008-- those stupid meterorologist guys had no clue any of that was going to happen, apparently. Awful. So this scenario today is waaaay better than that.

I completely agree. That's the weather for you... Making forecasters look ridiculous since... Forever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 22, 2013 8:30 pm  #203

Went to school today, to do my oral exam (English, yay ) and I slipped twice... They know it's a bloody campus! Can't they keep it ice-free? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 23, 2013 3:09 am  #204

Mountain Momma wrote:

It was sunny and beautiful, although cold (13 degrees F) this morning at the ski resort.  I bundled in layers and was quite warm.  The skiing was absolutely fabulous!  I am blessed to have a ski pass that allows me to ski every Thursday.

On Saturday I skied again...and turned sharply to avoid someone coming into my path...and broke my left ankle. Crutches are not fun! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

January 23, 2013 6:15 am  #205

Oh, Mountain Momma, that's awful! All the pain and anger all of a sudden...
Get well as quickly as possible!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 23, 2013 4:21 pm  #206

It's cold, cold, freakishly cold here. 

Sorry about your ankle mountain mama, hope it heals quickly. I would probably do far worse damage to myself skiing, which is why I've avoided it at all costs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 23, 2013 6:07 pm  #207

tobeornot221b wrote:

Oh, Mountain Momma, that's awful! All the pain and anger all of a sudden...
Get well as quickly as possible!

Actually, I'm not in pain. The Lord has blessed me!  My surgery is tomorrow. Thanks for thinking of me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 23, 2013 6:32 pm  #208

Slowly the snow is starting to annoy me. Just too much white out there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 23, 2013 8:59 pm  #209

Get well soon Mountain Mama!

Last time I went skiing (well, indoor skiing), I didn't even make it up the hill, I kept sliding down
Still enough snow around here to mess up some serious traffic, though... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 23, 2013 10:03 pm  #210

Mell92 wrote:

Get well soon Mountain Momma.=13px. 

Thank you!

January 27, 2013 11:41 am  #211

Hope you make a speedy recovery soon Mountain Momma.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 27, 2013 6:08 pm  #212

Davina wrote:

Hope you make a speedy recovery soon Mountain Momma.

Thank you, Davina!

February 11, 2013 8:05 am  #213

Ickle bitta snow today. Was slushy but it shows a little more character now. Off to venture out into the chill in a bit.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 11, 2013 6:27 pm  #214

We got some hail, but temps are around 12C and it wasn't big/bad enough to damage any of the cars. There were, of course, the barrage of collisions that comes with a storm around here, but we weren't directly involved in any of that.

February 11, 2013 8:51 pm  #215

Everywhere is completely saturated here. We have had so much rain over the past few months plus the odd bit of snow the water table is so high that the water has nowhere to go.

February 11, 2013 9:12 pm  #216

Oh, that's SOP here. We're only about 40-50 feet above sea level, with rivers and things we call bayous (though I don't think they actually are...), and a rather high water table. Water just... sits around. I've seen it up about 18 inches high in the middle of the street (where the crown is tallest) during the rain, and we're the high ground in the neighborhood!

Are you guys at risk for flash floods, with the saturated ground?

February 11, 2013 10:25 pm  #217

Probably not in our area but other areas, such as Cornwall, have been hit by flash floods before now. Truly I've never known it be so wet for so long. Other areas, this year and in previous years, have been hit by severe river floods.

February 12, 2013 4:14 am  #218

We had a blizzard over the weekend. Over a foot of snow. It was so not fun. I got a day off work, as a result, but the subsequent traffic and impossible parking situation make it so not worth it. I would rather have no snow and be able to go to work. My landlord plowed my parking lot out really quick the next morning, but getting around is still a challenge. And, people just forget how to drive when there's snow falling or on the ground, it's so annoying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

February 12, 2013 8:31 pm  #219

Still snowing over here too It melted a couple of days ago and we thought we were freed of icy roads, but then it started snowing harder than ever before -__-

April 5, 2013 12:13 am  #220

Been watching the floods in Buenos Aires. Hope m0r is ok. 

Board footera