BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2012 8:53 pm  #21

Re: Did it all begin much earlier?

veecee wrote:

I'm jumping ahead a litte, but it's related. In TRF, John tells Sherlock to be careful about getting too famous, but isn't John's own blog largely responsible for Sherlock's celebrity. Sorry if I got oft-topic for the thread.

Yeah, I agree. It's basically John's fault that Sherlock is famous...that's all set up at the beginning of Scandal where they have to hide from the press etc "internet sensation" and all that.

But I guess, you generally get a big spike of attention when these things first hit the media, then they settle down. The Hound case wasn't very high profile for them, for example. But then, at the beginning of TRF they have just been working on a series of very high profile cases and are all over the media, as a result of the press conferences etc too.

Obviously John doesn't know that it's all part of Sherlock's (and Mycroft's) plan to draw Moriarty out, so when he says "we need to be more careful" he is basically telling him to cut back a bit on all the publicity, take a few smaller cases, stay out of the press for a bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 2, 2012 6:50 am  #22

Yes because to be fair. John only reports what Sherlock DOES!
It's not like John is taking on the case load.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 23, 2013 4:56 pm  #23

I think it goes back to the very first scene of episode 1 in my latest theory.

I also think the use of the Homeless Network in The Great Game also comes back to bear on explaining the fall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

February 6, 2013 10:26 pm  #24

aWorldlyPhilosopher wrote:

First...I would like to say I have really enjoyed reading the many brilliant theories on this forum, and the respectful, intelligent way in which they are discussed. I finally couldn't resist any longer, and registered to join the conversation.

Now, to my theory: it all started before we realized it did. In all the previous episodes, the important clues are given to us very early in the episode, so that we might catch a few hints along the way, and all of them upon re-watching. Moftiss knew we would all be focused on how SH survived the fall, and wanted to give us the clues without making it obvious on the second viewing. So like good magicians, they left clues where we weren't looking: the previous episode.

I quite agree that the whole story can only be gleaned from, well, the whole story.  That is, while I agree we have to go back, IMO, we have to go all the way back to Episode 1.  It seems to me the only way to make sense of this is to consider the 6 episodes as a sort of very long movie, with the unfortunately tedious Ep 2 seeming to offer little help. 

And, I think we might want to consider the American film of the early 1970s, The Sting.  The name refers to the plot to con a gangster - but the joke was on the audience who were also "stung" and conning the audience became part of film/TV culture.  Some things in films and TV are for the benefit of other characters, some are just random errors or coincidences in the production process and don't mean anything, some are meant for the viewers.   Figuring out which is which is the big challenge.

SH's out of character clue that "everyone has missed": SH calling Mycroft and asking for help in Hounds.

This is a very nice catch, in fact, the whole episode seemed out of sync.  What if we go back to Belgravia?  At the end of the episode, it seems as if Sherlock has been completely manipulated by the mere sight of a nude woman.  Of course, in Ep1, he did say "Genius needs an audience."  He also showed how vulnerable he was to approval or admiration through his early interactions with John ("What do most people who know you say?"  "Piss off." - "I'm just saying it's all, alright.")   But then we understand that Sherlock was detached enough to take her pulse, even while seemingly naive about her meaning.  It was when she mentioned Moriarty (who I am assuming told her to taunt them, esp Sherlock after she had won) that we see his rage.  Nicely done by Cumberbatch as everything is, and now we have two brothers, both finally "on the same side" as Mycroft suggests they should be in Ep 1.  So - they will destroy Moriarty. 

Now, who's smartest?  Not Mycroft though he seems brilliant in the same manner, and as soon as they send The Woman on her way, Sherlock hatches a plan, which they perfect.  The other thing we learn in Baskervill is: Sherlock is willing to use John, to hurt him in fact, to serve what he believes is a worthy end.   

It seems to me that it's important to keep in mind that they have to let Moriarty "lead" while they are actually manuipulating events.  They have to make Moriarty think he can win. 

Why did Sherlock call Mycroft?  And, why did Lestraud show up at Baskerville? 

1. When speaking to Major Barrymore, SH says: "You're to give me 24 hours. It's what I've [pause] negotiated."

Interesting that we all know he called Mycroft who has the influence to get it done, but Sherlock says he negotiated.  Maybe the pause is about him changing the word mid-sentence.  Maybe he stopped himself from saying "arranged."   Or even "ordered."

February 7, 2013 6:47 am  #25

Sherlock called Mycroft to pull strings, so that Sherlock could get back into Baskerville.
Mycroft sent Lestrade to keep an eye on Sherlock.

Last edited by besleybean (February 9, 2013 6:42 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 9, 2013 6:17 pm  #26

besleybean wrote:

Sherlock called Mycroft to pull strings, so that Sherlock could ger back into Baskerville.
Mycroft sent Lestrade to keep an eye on  Sherlock.

This was my thought as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

February 9, 2013 7:57 pm  #27

I'm totally "in" with the 'Mycroft and Sherlock working together' theory.  When Irene and Moriarty came "this" close to bankrupting the British economy with the blackmail ransom they wanted, Mycroft became quite aware - maybe as never before - of Moriarty's immense web of power and influence and the danger he posed to the worlds' governments.  They had brought him in for questioning as we saw at the end of Hound but with no luck getting any incriminating evidence on him (the slippery bastard!).  But when Mycroft realized the depth of obsession Moriarty had for Sherlock, he knew he might be able to use it somehow to bring him down.  Since Sherlock wanted Moriarty brought down also, I can see the two of them collaborating to make it happen. We, the audience (and John) are led to believe that Mycroft gave away info on Sherlock just to get Moriarty to start talking since 'torture' was not accomplishing it; however, I can't see Mycroft giving away family secrets as a mistake.  It had to have been a plan.  Also, I believe everything going on in the street below Bart's when Sherlock "fell" was part of the plan.  Mycroft would have the 'pull' to arrange whatever and whoever would be needed for the trick, ie buy-in from the CEO of Barts, the busses, the trucks, the bystanders, the magician  . Perhaps those people below were not the Homeless network - maybe they were Secret Service network.  All that arranging would have been a bit too much for Molly on her own, but I think she needed to know some of it because she would have realized a lot of the medical people were not actually on-staff.  For sure, all pretty far-fetched, but hey, it's a TV show and it's meant to be entertaining.  We'll just have to wait and see who comes closest to the correct theory.

Last edited by KeepersPrice (February 9, 2013 7:58 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera