BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2013 10:47 pm  #81

Re: Recently watched movies.

I have nothing to declare except my genius.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 31, 2013 11:48 pm  #82

I moved to a new flat this week but still had time to watch a few flicks.

DJANGO - El Mariachi in the old-west. A pretty cool movie. 3,5/5
DEAD POOL - The plot is so un-Dirty Harry. It was fun to see younger Jim Carrey as a drug addict though. 2,5/5
PEOPLE VS GEORGE LUCAS - Some fun stuff in here but not a great documentary. 3/5
TREKKIES - Oh man some of those Trek fans take their favorite franchise a bit too seriously. 3/5
EVERYTHING OR NOTHING: THE UNTOLD STORY OF 007 - A good Bond documentary that wasn't just about the main actors but about Broccoli & co as well. Interviews of all Bonds except Connery. 4/5
DEATH PROOF - My least favorite Tarantino flick but includes a bunch of close-ups of female posteriors and some well shot car-chase sequences. 3/5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

February 3, 2013 10:08 pm  #83

Just watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I enjoyed this very much indeed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 4, 2013 2:47 am  #84

Just watched "The Iron Lady" starring Meryl Streep - about Margaret Thatcher.  Brilliant!  Never knew all the challenges she dealt with.  The script, editing, directing and acting were all wonderful.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 8, 2013 10:16 pm  #85

Had the wonderful experience of watching The Artist tonight. What a great film this is. The acting, cinematography, music, costumes are all fantastic. I can see why it won Oscars. Strongly written characters and driven by a simple but powerful story. I can thoroughly recommend watching this film if you haven't yet done so.

February 8, 2013 10:48 pm  #86

Davina wrote:

Had the wonderful experience of watching The Artist tonight. What a great film this is. The acting, cinematography, music, costumes are all fantastic. I can see why it won Oscars. Strongly written characters and driven by a simple but powerful story. I can thoroughly recommend watching this film if you haven't yet done so.

I loved this movie too. It was so brilliant in every way. So much heart and soul and talent, the wonderful kind of movie we used to make. Nothing blew up and no aliens attacked, but it touched my heart without a word. It deserved every award it won.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

February 8, 2013 10:52 pm  #87

Davina wrote:

I've been meaning to watch it for awhile now since it's on Netflix but haven't. Now that you reminded me of it and it comes Davina-recommended, I think I'll watch that one next.

Earlier this week I saw ZERO DARK THIRTY in the movies. A very good movie. Chastain was great as the leading lady, Gandolfini brought some light humor to it and there were lots of really well crafted scenes throughout the movie. At often times it felt pretty much like a Michael Mann movie. Especially the gun shooting, man those sounded great, almost as good as in HEAT. Drama-recommended and definitely see it on the big screen if you can.

Saw RANGO yesterday. Pretty good. Some nice action and lots of references to old westerns. I almost laughed out loud when in the beginning of the film he's squashed on the windshield of the car that's driven by "Depp" and "Del Toro" from their FEAR AND LOATHING days. Great music and cast as well.

Saw THE MASTER in the theaters today - Was a bit disappointing. I like all of PT Anderson's movies, my favorites being BOOGIE NIGHTS and MAGNOLIA. This film felt like PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE in the 50s. The performances by J.P. and Seymour-Hoffman were excellent and the score was good, but the film itself was a bit too hard for me to grasp onto. Really well directed and shot, but I just didn't get a lot of it. Still, worth seeing at least once especially if you like his earlier films.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 9, 2013 2:49 am  #88

Davina wrote:

Eeee!   I know!!  ;D  *claps*  Hee... sorry about the goofy response.  Just had the exact same reaction myself after being curious for some time about that 'oddly interesting, completely different movie that did it the way they don't do it anymore, but did it in such a great, award-winning way, and wonder how good it is'...   kind of like Hugo also gave a similarly sweet nod to the origins of movies we love (and was just as great, if you haven't seen).  Weren't the leads in it wonderful? 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 9, 2013 11:56 am  #89

Utterly fantastic. The dance routines were just outstanding too. I thought the difference in the acting for the filming and that when they were just themselves was sublime. Parts of this film made me laugh aloud and, I am not ashamed to say, parts made me cry as well. Oh...the little dog was brilliant too.

I have Hugo recorded and I will watch it as soon as I can. I watched the first 30 minutes of it the other day but it was on so late I was too tired to watch until the end. What I saw I loved. So catch up it is.

Drama I am going to try and catch the films you have just reviewed. Maybe The Master need watching more than once?

I have now managed to watch Hugo. What a lovely film. The thematic use of colour throughout was particularly stunning. The young actors were wonderful as were the rest of the cast. Good to see Sacha Baron Cohen in something creditable (you can just hear the mutter of 'for a change' there, can't you).

Last edited by Davina (February 9, 2013 10:29 pm)

February 11, 2013 11:38 am  #90

Really, really enjoyed X-Men: First Class. Not my usual sort of film but wow! Fassbender as Magneto was amazing.

Watching The Artist AGAIN at the moment.

Last edited by Davina (February 11, 2013 11:39 am)

February 12, 2013 4:10 am  #91

Davina wrote:

Really, really enjoyed X-Men: First Class. Not my usual sort of film but wow! Fassbender as Magneto was amazing.

I loved First Class too. Michale Fassbender was outstanding as Magneto. I'd definitely join the dark side for him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

February 12, 2013 8:23 am  #92

Oooo yes! Me too! German/Irish combination...cannot be bettered IMO. 

February 12, 2013 8:23 pm  #93

Anna Karenina. Good movie, although it took some time to get used to the setting

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

February 13, 2013 8:07 pm  #94

I mean to see Anna Karenina soon.

Over the past couple of days I have watched films that have either won or been nominated for at least one Oscar (we have a special channel for these  ).

Insomnia- I thought the dramatic tension was well-built up in this. Al Pacino and Robin Williams were both excellent. The pressures upon detectives are explored. The denouement is a little predictable but neverthelessless is well-played. My favourite scene was the chase over the logs.

Sucker Punch- rated 12 which I found a bit surprising as it quite a dark movie. I loved the action sequences especially those that owe much to Chinese martial arts films. This is a highly imaginative piece of work. The soundtrack is amazing and it has a strong overall message. I also liked the strong message for girls.

Gattaca- not a box-office success when it came out although it was widely praised by the critics. It is a sci-fi film but is set in the not too distant future. The role of genetic manipulation and discrimination is well-explored. The acting is very strong thoughout and Jude Law was gorgeous in it. A film with a strong message that makes one question ones own moral standpoint.

I am now going to watch 'The Help'.

February 13, 2013 8:44 pm  #95

The Help is really, really, REALLY good

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

February 13, 2013 8:50 pm  #96

I loved the book, would like to see the film.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 13, 2013 10:22 pm  #97

Really good film indeed. A wonderful balance of tragedy and comedy. Such emotive, moving issues dealt with through the lives and experiences of individuals. Powerful acting from all. What a time and place to have lived in. I can indeed recommend this film.

February 14, 2013 5:22 pm  #98

Davina wrote:

Insomnia- I thought the dramatic tension was well-built up in this. Al Pacino and Robin Williams were both excellent. The pressures upon detectives are explored. The denouement is a little predictable but neverthelessless is well-played. My favourite scene was the chase over the logs.

Gattaca- not a box-office success when it came out although it was widely praised by the critics. It is a sci-fi film but is set in the not too distant future. The role of genetic manipulation and discrimination is well-explored. The acting is very strong thoughout and Jude Law was gorgeous in it. A film with a strong message that makes one question ones own moral standpoint.

I thought INSOMNIA is a decent thriller but easily Nolan's weakest. In my opinion. I want to see the original as that's supposed to be better.

I think GATTACA is a fine little film. The premise is quite interesting and I think this is Niccol's best film to date.

Here's what I've been watching this week.

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) - A great debut film from Romero, the 'godfather' of zombie flicks. Sure there had been zombie films made before but this is the first one (I think) where for instance the zombies ate human flesh. Not as good as the masterful sequel DAWN OF THE DEAD but a really good film for this era. "They're coming to get you Barbra!"

STRIPPER NATASHA KIZMET (2009) - Easily one of the worst movies I've seen in the couple of years. Lots of bare breasts but the acting is horrendous from start to finish.

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (1981) - Nice early futuristic apocalypse movie from John Carpenter (who a year later directed one of the best scifi horror films of all time called THE THING) starring bad-ass Kurt Russell playing Snake Plissken who's wearing an eyepatch and kicks criminals' asses.

STREET FIGHTER - THE MOVIE (1994) - One of the worst movies ever made. To this day they haven't been able to make a good movie based on a video game. SUPER MARIO BROS is almost as terrible as this one, but at least that stars the lovely Samantha Manthis and includes a song from Extreme on the soundtrack.

February 15, 2013 6:44 am  #99

I think the title of the second film may have been a clue to its awfulness. I'll give Street Fighter a miss too. The others sound fun!

I watched the following films yesterday:

Ray- about the life of Ray Charles. A powerful portrayal of a troubled genius. A traumatic childhood, drug use. Not a nice man in many ways but sympathy is maintained. Jamie Foxx is outstanding in the title role. Soundtrack is brilliant.

Dog Day Afternoon- how I have never seen this before baffles me. Based on true events surrounding an attempted bank robbery- they say truth is stranger than fiction and they are not wrong here. The late John Cazale is sweet. The lead role of Sonny, played by a very young Al Pacino is an absolute tour de force. Made in 1975 it evokes its time well and has also stood up well to the passing years. Attica! Certainly worth seeing if, like me, it has somehow passed you by.

February 15, 2013 10:57 am  #100

Davina wrote:

I think the title of the second film may have been a clue to its awfulness. I'll give Street Fighter a miss too. The others sound fun!

I watched the following films yesterday:

Ray- about the life of Ray Charles. A powerful portrayal of a troubled genius. A traumatic childhood, drug use. Not a nice man in many ways but sympathy is maintained. Jamie Foxx is outstanding in the title role. Soundtrack is brilliant.

Dog Day Afternoon- how I have never seen this before baffles me. Based on true events surrounding an attempted bank robbery- they say truth is stranger than fiction and they are not wrong here. The late John Cazale is sweet. The lead role of Sonny, played by a very young Al Pacino is an absolute tour de force. Made in 1975 it evokes its time well and has also stood up well to the passing years. Attica! Certainly worth seeing if, like me, it has somehow passed you by.

I knew the Natasha Kizmet movie was going to be horrible but sometimes I enjoy watching bad movies, especially if there's some nudity in there. This movie I did not enjoy watching.

RAY is a fine film. If you liked that one, check out WALK THE LINE. The music is different but both are equally good and Phoenix is amazing as Johnny Cash.

DOG DAY AFTERNOON is a brilliant movie indeed. One of Pacino's best (along with SERPICO and SCARFACE) and my second favorite from director Sidney Lumet after 12 ANGRY MEN and SERPICO. Did you know the phone conversation between Pacino and his lover was improvised? Pacino can be a truly great actor when he's in a great movie.

Yesterday I saw RED SCORPION starring the swedish giant Dolph Lundgren (who always plays Russians, like he did in ROCKY IV). Made in ´88, so they tried to copy both RAMBO II and COMMANDO but Dolph just isn't that appealing nor a good actor. Still, wanted to see this movie for a long time and it wasn't a complete waste. There was also M.Emmet Walsh after all who I like.

Today I'm going to finish LIVE AND LET DIE which I haven't seen since middle-school or something. Roger Moore made a fine Bond and the theme song by Paul and his Wings is one of my favorite Bond themes. Jane Seymour is so damn pretty in this movie. And I think she still is even today.

Last edited by Dramagod (February 15, 2013 11:00 am)

Board footera