BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2013 8:37 pm  #1

Numbering the flats in 221 Baker Street

I've got a question.
Is the numbering of No. 221's flats in the usual order in British houses?
I mean, 221 A has to be Mrs Hudson's flat on the first floor. On the second floor there is 221 B.
The flat in the basement is obviously 221 C. I would expect a different order in numbering.
However, I have the strong suspicion that the actual numbering is a concession. The writers needed a flat in the basement and as  221 A and 221 B were already taken there was only C left.
Or am I wrong in assuming that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 7, 2013 8:13 pm  #2

Re: Numbering the flats in 221 Baker Street

Yeah, I always thought the flat numbering was a bit...odd, too.

For a start off, it says "221B" on the front door, which is of course, because it looks good and because 221B is the address we all know and love. However, if it were indeed a house with three flats (A, B and C), then it would just say "221" on the door, then the individual flats would have their own numbers on the front doors once inside the house.

Not sure why the basement flat is "C", but maybe that was the last flat to be converted. If they already had A and B, then Mrs H would have to call that one "C" because the others already had names.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera