BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2012 11:58 pm  #1

Time Of Day

There's an exterior shot of St Barts in near darkness or dusk...followed by the scene when John gets the call about Mrs Hudson dying. This scene is followed immediately by Sherlock getting a text off Jim then going up to the rooftop and it's bright daylight. Anyone else notice that? Is it a mistake or has more time passed between the scenes? What time of day was the final rooftop scene supposed to be at?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 1, 2012 1:20 am  #2

Re: Time Of Day

I did notice and wonder about that.  I think the exterior shot of Bart's is supposed to be dawn, not dusk, though.  (Hence, John being asleep when his phone rings.)  No idea how we get from dawn to broad daylight for the rooftop scene, though (which seems to happen late enough in the morning that Mrs. Hudson already has a handyman/ international assassin hard at work in the flat).

I've actually thought the same thing about the scene from the gif in your signature, Sherlock Holmes.  When Lestrade comes for Sherlock to go to Brixton, it looks to be daylight out, but when they're in the cab, it looks dark.  Maybe I missed something, though.

May 1, 2012 2:05 am  #3

Sequence of main events:
- discover children - daytime
- girls screams at Sherlock & Sherlock sees building lights across the street light up the IOU on windows - evening
- cab ride with Moriarty - night
- Lestrade visits Sherlock asking him to come to the station - night
- Lestrade returns to police station, discussion with his superior & told to arrest Sherlock - night
- Arrest Sherlock - night
- Sherlock & John fugitives - night - remember all that running etc would take some time.
- Visit Kitty & Rich/Moriarty - night - so time to travel there by foot and then wait for Kitty etc.
- return to lab, play with little ball - night/ perhaps just past midnight
- see a shot of Barts - dawn or predawn
- get phone call about Mrs Hudson - morning
- John leaves; Sherlock prepares to meet Moriarty - morning
- Rooftop meeting - morning

points to note
- yes handymen tend to start early in the day
- yes John slept in the early morning before getting a call
- the Brixton one was discussed ( as was this one) earlier in the forum. When they get in the cab, it is dusk and cars do have their headlights on even though there is some daylight left.

Remember not everything happens as fast as we see it. No point in showing Sherlock slipping out to the men's room is there?

Last edited by kazza474 (May 1, 2012 2:08 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 1, 2012 6:39 am  #4

kazza474 wrote:

No point in showing Sherlock slipping out to the men's room is there?

Oh I don't know. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 1, 2012 7:06 am  #5

Every point. That's where he met Kitty Riley! Unless he was in the 'ladies'!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 1, 2012 10:55 am  #6

I meant during the events I listed up there. Certainly there was a lot of time between some things but we didn't see a lot of that; basically them sitting it out in the lab etc.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 1, 2012 11:00 am  #7

That was meant as bait of a joke really.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 11, 2012 6:41 pm  #8

Sorry, I just discovered this thread after I had started one this morning on the same topic  . How could I suppose
that nobody had noticed it before  ?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera