BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2013 7:51 pm  #61

Re: But then people do get so sentimental about their pets.

Hedonism is a school of thought that argues that pleasure is the only intrinsic good. In very simple terms, a hedonist strives to maximize net pleasure (pleasure minus pain).

On weekends I am like that, too. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 12, 2013 8:07 pm  #62

I'd like to post a photo of my kitty here, but I don't know how. Is there a short and simple way anyone can explain to me to get it done?  I know about simple copy and paste, but that doesn't work. What am I missing? Thx.

January 12, 2013 8:10 pm  #63

Mattlocked wrote:

Hedonism is a school of thought that argues that pleasure is the only intrinsic good. In very simple terms, a hedonist strives to maximize net pleasure (pleasure minus pain).
On weekends I am like that, too. 

My computer dictionary defines it as the pursuit of pleasure as a matter of ethical principle I think all of us have a bit of streak of that in us.  Is there a direct German equivalent of the English words hedonist or hedonism?  Just curious, I'm sure there is.

January 12, 2013 8:11 pm  #64

It has to be somewhere else in the net.
I created an account at Photobucket a while ago, just so I will be able to post own pictures here!

January 12, 2013 8:12 pm  #65

ancientsgate wrote:

Is there a direct German equivalent of the English words hedonist or hedonism?  Just curious, I'm sure there is.

Hedonist and Hedonismus. 

January 12, 2013 8:16 pm  #66

It is directly from Latin. Those Romans eh! Trust them to come up with hedonism. Where are Caligula and Nero when you need them?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 12, 2013 8:19 pm  #67

Mattlocked wrote:

It has to be somewhere else in the net.
I created an account at Photobucket a while ago, just so I will be able to post own pictures here!

I'm using Photobucket too. Works great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 15, 2013 12:35 pm  #68

Here are a couple of pictures of our new arrival. Well, we've had him for six months...
1 and 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

January 15, 2013 1:39 pm  #69

Molly Hooper wrote:

Here are a couple of pictures of our new arrival. Well, we've had him for six months...
1 and 2

Aw, cute! A fox terrier?  How old is he? Name? Thanks for sharing. The pictures made me smile.

January 15, 2013 1:41 pm  #70

Molly Hooper wrote:

1 and 2

He's adorable  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 15, 2013 3:18 pm  #71

Absolutely adorable! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 15, 2013 5:45 pm  #72

Hera wrote:

My husband and I have two hamsters called Flauschelinchen (which means something like  fluffy, litte thingy) and Herr Grau (which means Mr. Grey, because he's, well, grey).  They live in veeeeeeeeery large cages, otherwise I couldn't bear to lock them up... I love them! But, to be honest, it's sort of a substitute thing as I would much rather have a cat or dog, but it's just not possible in our flat.   So I have to be content with visiting my parents' and the cat they have, until I have my own place... which is not going to happen in the next ten years or so.

Do you have the balls to put your hamsters in so they can run around the house?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

January 15, 2013 6:50 pm  #73

Your puppy is so sweet Molly. Haven't the last six months gone quickly. I can remember when you posted on here when you first got him. Those hamster balls are just great aren't they. 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 16, 2013 4:50 pm  #74

In answer to your question, AG: He's called Meeko; he's nine months (roughly); and he's three quarters jackrussel to one quarter king charles. He's very calm though and much better behaved than most Jackrussels I've met!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

February 5, 2013 1:11 pm  #75

I was raised with more than one dog. When I was five, we had 2 dogs - a German Shepherd and a Great Dane. Then we moved to another country and for 6 years we didn't have any pets, but we sold our German Shepherd and my relatives took care of our Great Dane. 

Now that I'm back, we currently have 1 Belgian Tervuren (Austin, male), 2 Siberian Huskies (Hearty, fem, and Simon, male), 1 Cockerel Spaniel (Poochy, fem), and 1 Shih Tzu (Sunshine, fem). 5, in total. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey 

"Look at that, Mrs. Hudson. Quiet. Calm. Peaceful. Isn't it hateful?"

February 5, 2013 2:49 pm  #76

I think you mean 'Cocker Spaniel' I just had the weirdest picture of a half-dog half-chicken running around. Gosh! What a lot of dogs.

February 11, 2013 8:06 am  #77

Our Springer Spaniel is wearing The Cone of Shame!

February 11, 2013 4:40 pm  #78

Davina wrote:

Our Springer Spaniel is wearing The Cone of Shame!

Spayed or neutered?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

February 11, 2013 8:49 pm  #79

Neutered! Long overdue as well!! He's actually adapted quite well to The Cone of Shame. Don't think he will be keen to go back to the vets in a few days time to have his stitches out though.

February 12, 2013 12:42 am  #80

Davina wrote:

Neutered! Long overdue as well!! He's actually adapted quite well to The Cone of Shame. Don't think he will be keen to go back to the vets in a few days time to have his stitches out though.

My cat (now 15 years old) has had a couple of real rough goes with the vet the last two times we took her in. It's bad enough that we've made the decision that she can no longer get anesthetic-- this past time, about 2 years ago now, we almost lost her in the aftermath of a routine dental procedure, and only after about six weeks did she finally rally. Scary. Anyway, (almost completely) in jest, we now call the vet's clinic builiding "that place where they kill cats. We're not going back there ever again...." (the is the royal we, the cat speaking) The two female vets who work there are uber-qualified and board-certified, nice as pie, they love animals and wouldn't hurt a flea. We just have a weird cat who reacts badly to anesthesia. But "nope, we ain't goin' back to that place where they kill cats...."

My son and his wife have an older black lab who happily rides in the car with them, but when going to the vet, as soon as they get about a half mile from the place and the dog sees the lay of the land and realizes where they're headed, he puts his head down and starts making a low, deep moaning sound that my son says is the eeriest thing he's ever heard. Poor Griffin, he's prolly worried they're taking him to the place where they kill dogs....

Poor babies, they don't understand.

Board footera