BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2013 2:20 pm  #1

Sherlockian Adventures: In the footsteps of Sherlock Holmes

I don't think anything like this was on the forum already. I saw the concept in somebody's blog, the other day, and I thought it would be fun.
So here it goes: Have you been anywhere Sherlock Holmes has been, too? What did you do there? What did you see? Did it live up to your expectations? Did you bring home souvenirs? Do you have pictures? What's the connection with Sherlock Holmes? (It can be a location that's mentioned in the books, or a location that's been show in a movie/TV adaptation, or just a random place that reminds you of him). Share your stories! Who knows, maybe someone has actually seen Reichenbach Falls? ;)

I'll go first: I went to London, last year. I dragged the friend who was with me to Baker Street, because I really wanted to see nr. 221B
I already got excited in the underground station, because "Sherlock Holmes was everywhere".
There's a Sherlock Holmes museum at that address:

We didn't visit it, unfortunately, because we were running out of time. This was our last day in London and we had to catch the Eurostar back to Brussels (I'm horrible at reading a map, so we got lost, but I refused to give up before I had been inside that house). I did have time to buy a little souvenir in the shop, though. A small blue pin: "Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective, 221B Baker Street". Luckily I did have time to go to Madame Tusseauds and take this picture:

So that's all I've got so far. I hope you'll like this topic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 19, 2013 4:50 pm  #2

Re: Sherlockian Adventures: In the footsteps of Sherlock Holmes

That's cool , I've been to London and all the Sherlock Holmes sights but that was before Sherlock. And now I want to go again to see the locations .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 24, 2013 1:26 pm  #3

I'd like to go to Dartmoor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 24, 2013 2:18 pm  #4

Lelli and I live in the country of the Reichenbach Falls, and we'll have a trip to there this year :-) As a baby I was there with my parents, but I can't remember. And now that I'm sherlocked I have to make sort of 'pilgrim' to this place! 
I don't know what'll do there. But I'm sure that it will be great... ;-) And I hope to see lot of other Sherlockians there! :-)

I would love to go to London. Dartmoor sounds good, but London is clearly a must-been-place. :-) At least for me it is. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

January 24, 2013 5:08 pm  #5

pitagor wrote:

Lelli and I live in the country of the Reichenbach Falls, and we'll have a trip to there this year :-) As a baby I was there with my parents, but I can't remember. And now that I'm sherlocked I have to make sort of 'pilgrim' to this place! 
I don't know what'll do there. But I'm sure that it will be great... ;-) And I hope to see lot of other Sherlockians there! :-) 

That's so cool! You should wear a badge or a T-shirt with something "sherlocky" on it  I'm sure there will be others out there! 

Last edited by Mell92 (January 24, 2013 5:08 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 24, 2013 5:15 pm  #6

We'll wear deerstalkers, and I AM SHERLOCKED-Shirts or something like this, of course. Would be a shame to go there without meeting anyone who's a fan, too!  And my new bag, then, which is sherlocked too. Can't wait for our trip! 

Haha, since Sherlock I was never this proud to live in Swizerland, I think! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

January 24, 2013 6:19 pm  #7

Have fun!  That's got to be the best possible outfit to wear on a Reichenbach trip

January 24, 2013 6:22 pm  #8

Exactly my -or, better, our- thoughts! 

January 31, 2013 8:48 pm  #9

OMG when are you going to the Reichenbach Falls? Have you decided on a date yet? I'd love to go...been planning on a trip there for quite some time. The flights are rather reasonable booked in advance with one of the cheaper airlines.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 31, 2013 9:17 pm  #10

Hullo Sherlock Holmes!  No, we have no idea when we'll have our trip. We once decided to make it in spring, because weather is better, but no idea of an exact date. Well we both are at home in Zurich, we don't have to go too long way, so for us it's not big thing. But I think lelli and I will soon fix one or two possible dates and then make a thread for it. We'd enjoy it if other Sherlockians would like to come with us-at least I would, and I think that lelli is on the same point of view!-. We thought about book in a youth hostel ore something like that near there to stay the night... But we really don't have made much planning up today! We'll talk tomorrow and I'll write you a privat-message as soon as we know more, okay? 

February 1, 2013 10:10 pm  #11

I just got a book from the library called "In the Footsteps of Sherlock Holmes" and I believe it elaborates upon this concept. It's by Michael Harrison, if anyone's interested...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

February 3, 2013 11:10 am  #12

I'm going to look for that one in my favourite bookshop, they just might have it, they surprised me before Sounds like a good book.

Board footera