BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2013 6:42 pm  #1

Sherlock/Irene parallels

I noticed many parallels between Sherlock and Irene. Some of their similar actions foreshadow the events to come later in the episode.

My list:

1. Sherlock looks through her photographs; she looks through his.
HOWEVER, he only looks through her photos once and she scrolls back to the first photo of him. This difference illusrates her interest in him.

2. At one point in the episode, both Irene and Sherlock are naked.

3. Both change wardrobe, or at least try to, struggle with a costume, and say the word "battle."

4. Both "need a splash of color." Sherlock gets punched and bleeds; Irene wears blood red lipstick.

5. Both play "the game." Sherlock devotes himself to the demanding and distracting qualities of the game and Irene does the same, except from the troublemaking side.

6. Some superficial similarities: They have similar appearances, vocabularies, taste in expensice wardrobe, and the same blank stare.

Those are the parallels that I found; does anyone see any others?

Last edited by KellyBookworm (January 22, 2013 6:45 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're going to be boring, please do it over there.

January 24, 2013 6:00 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock/Irene parallels

KellyBookworm wrote:

I noticed many parallels between Sherlock and Irene. Some of their similar actions foreshadow the events to come later in the episode.

My list:

1. Sherlock looks through her photographs; she looks through his.
HOWEVER, he only looks through her photos once and she scrolls back to the first photo of him. This difference illusrates her interest in him.

2. At one point in the episode, both Irene and Sherlock are naked.

3. Both change wardrobe, or at least try to, struggle with a costume, and say the word "battle."

4. Both "need a splash of color." Sherlock gets punched and bleeds; Irene wears blood red lipstick.

5. Both play "the game." Sherlock devotes himself to the demanding and distracting qualities of the game and Irene does the same, except from the troublemaking side.

6. Some superficial similarities: They have similar appearances, vocabularies, taste in expensice wardrobe, and the same blank stare.

Those are the parallels that I found; does anyone see any others?

I re-watched Scandal last night with a Sherlock virgin.  I noticed they both wear leather gloves when out-and-about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

January 24, 2013 6:37 pm  #3

May I just say how much I like the expression "Sherlock virgin"? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 24, 2013 7:35 pm  #4

And he is one, I think and love him for it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 27, 2013 11:07 am  #5

Irene is seen first in her pure white dress and later is naked. Sherlock is seen in a pure white sheet under which he is naked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 27, 2013 6:36 pm  #6

She stares on the photographs of him on which he's nearly naked while he looks through the photographs of her on which she's nearly naked (or in fact she kinda is)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 6, 2013 11:11 am  #7

In the "naked scene" Irene and Sherlock try to analyse each other by looking.

Since Irene is naked Sherlock's mind goes ?????????? When being threatend by the american guys Irene reveals the code to the safe by looking down on her breasts. With this she saves John. Sherlock gets the clue.

At the end of Scandal Sherlock wears a disguise in Karachi and Irene doesn't recognise him.
Sherlock reveals himself and saves her. We just see the eyes to identify Sherlock.

Just found a fitting quote:

No mask like open truth to cover lies,
As to go naked is the best disguise.

William Congreve

Board footera