BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2013 1:30 am  #1

Au?

What does AU stand for? (I've been going through bunches of the fanfic sites and I keep coming across it.)
Thank you!

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

January 24, 2013 1:48 am  #2

Re: Au?

In what context? I don't read enough of the fanfic to understand how it's used there. I know .au, as in the TLD, is for Australia, and AU can also stand for astronomical unit. But neither of these seem particularly relevant to Sherlock related fanfic.

January 24, 2013 2:46 am  #3

crazybbcamerican wrote:

What does AU stand for? (I've been going through bunches of the fanfic sites and I keep coming across it.)
Thank you!

Alternate Universe - Sherlock and John as hairdressers, or BBC Sherlock set in ACD's time.  It might even mean another universe, quite literally - I just saw one that takes place on another planet.

(Topic should be in 'Fan Fic'?  But you could have AU fan art, too, so not necessarily 'off topic'.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

January 24, 2013 9:33 am  #4

See also: The Sherlock Fandom Glossary, a great resource for all questions like that:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BueXx9a4JmlpXGckaH_ODSPLGcRmw4AuxyT79UO6zLI/edit?pli=1#heading=h.wkha47isnkmu

(could be you have to copy and paste the complete link)

Last edited by Harriet (January 24, 2013 12:56 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 24, 2013 12:52 pm  #5

Thank you guys, that really helped! I'm pretty new to fanart n stuff, so that helped tons. (and thanks for not saying "Gold" duh. Lol)

*******************************************************************************************************************

January 24, 2013 1:04 pm  #6

You're welcome! Now I have a question: What does  "Gold" duh mean? 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 24, 2013 1:22 pm  #7

AU is the chemical sign for gold. And as far as I know "duh" means something in the line of idiot.  But you would never be so rude as to write this, you aren't Sherlock after all. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 24, 2013 1:23 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 24, 2013 2:02 pm  #8

No, I was just trying to be funny. I guess it doesn't work so well so early in the morning. :D
Thanks SusiGo

January 24, 2013 2:38 pm  #9

It was funny. Good training for my language faculties. Had to think about it for a moment until I understood. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 24, 2013 8:50 pm  #10

To be quite a bit nitpicking now, even though in the title, in the question it was not Au (=Gold) but AU 

January 24, 2013 8:55 pm  #11

lol! Thanks Harriet and SusiGo (btw: SusiGo that pic in profile is Ultra Sexy Benedict :D)

January 27, 2013 10:16 am  #12

erunyauve wrote:

Alternate Universe - Sherlock and John as hairdressers, or BBC Sherlock set in ACD's time.  It might even mean another universe, quite literally - I just saw one that takes place on another planet.... 

Technically, Johnlock fic and fanart is AU or AR (alternate reality), although it's not labeled as such.

January 27, 2013 10:31 am  #13

crazybbcamerican wrote:

lol! Thanks Harriet and SusiGo (btw: SusiGo that pic in profile is Ultra Sexy Benedict :D)

Isn't it?  I fell for it the second I saw it.

January 27, 2013 12:00 pm  #14

... and it made me give that tv show a try, even though I don't watch much tv 

January 27, 2013 1:35 pm  #15

ancientsgate wrote:

erunyauve wrote:

Alternate Universe - Sherlock and John as hairdressers, or BBC Sherlock set in ACD's time.  It might even mean another universe, quite literally - I just saw one that takes place on another planet.... 

Technically, Johnlock fic and fanart is AU or AR (alternate reality), although it's not labeled as such.

I would disagree, because we really don't know what happens or might happen in the future behind closed doors.  It's not likely, but it's possible, and and it's a possible interpretation of the relationship.  To me, AU changes a major element of the original plot, and it's not done on a 'what if' basis but because the author wanted to play in a different playground.  I would characterise BBC Sherlock as 'what if' to the original stories - the authors tried to imagine what Sherlock might be like in our time, while keeping as much of ACD's original intent true as they could.

Maybe I'm showing my own bias - I like fan fic that drives beneath the written lines - that fills in gaps or puts pieces together to deduce something about a character (hmm - sounds like someone we know).  To me, an AU writer wants to write a story about, say, Roman legionnaires and wants to imagine characters that look like Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman in their story.  It's true that a lot of slash does the same thing - I could swear that some authors just change the names to suit their favourite pairing of the moment - but that's not AU.  That's just badfic.

(I'm not a Johnlock fan, by the way - I think the bromance is already an incredibly realistic portrayal of how two men behave in a relationship, and I can't see John in a physical relationship with a man or Sherlock in a physical relationship with anyone.)

Edit:  I'm a little harsh on AUs - some of them are very well written and stay in character.  They just don't appeal to me because I don't think they add anything to the original.

Last edited by erunyauve (January 28, 2013 12:42 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

Board footera