BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2013 12:50 pm  #1

Seeing.

Watched some important bits again last night.
Sherlock tells Kitty that she repels him after he makes it clear that she does so because she cannot 'see.' "Tell me what you see. ...you should be able to read all the information you need right here..."

I want to contrast that with what he says to Molly right after she asks him about being sad..."You can see me?"
Then his look changes, as if he is really looking at her as someone that matters...Kitty is basically dirt under his feet because she doesn't see.

Imo, it's important in Sherlock's world that people are on the same level (or somewhere close!) with him. There seem to be very few. Just like his surprise with John shooting the cabbie to protect him...I think he's learning that though no one's intellect is in the same ballpark with his, he is now sure enough of himself (holmesself if you will) to begin to notice the things that matter in other human beings.

I want to add one more thing to that...
"Keep your eyes on me. Can you do that for me?" Sherlock wants John to only see what he wants him to see. He needs John to see that what is says is true (even though it is not.) In a way, he manipulates what John is going to see when he jumps. Is this another protection, then? I know it's been hashed over, but again, to me, it's about "seeing." Is there something Sherlock knows that John will notice if he doesn't keep his eyes on Sherlock? As we well know, to be under Sherlock's radar is to be seen. But he knows in some ways John sees what he himself sees--little details.

In other words, Molly falls into this category with being able to see at least a few of them--those little details that make us all human. Sherlock needs people to see him--as he is. Not the cold, shellacked shell that he seems to be to the outside world. Poetically, when he jumps, he knows he will be out of John's sight for a few moments, perhaps?

But of course, then it's proven that perhaps others only see him as a walking brain, hence the only one crying on Sherlock's "grave" is John.

Pretty powerful stuff, in my eyes, at least.

Last edited by crazybbcamerican (January 23, 2013 12:57 pm)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

January 25, 2013 7:03 am  #2

Re: Seeing.

You make an interesting point, although if it turns out that John only saw Sherlock's body on the ground because he expected to see it, and we, the audience saw what John saw, then I think that's kind of cheating. It's alright when you're little and one episode you see superman fall from a building and go splat, and then in the next episode you see him magically fly away, even though in the previous episode you clearly saw him fall; but when you're older, it'd kinda cheating. (and besides, that would be boring) Anyway, I thought of an interesting idea, watching TRF with your eyes closed, just listening, and then you could do it vice-versa.
Yes, I am obsessed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

Board footera