BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2013 7:12 am  #1

Hiding in plain sight

Hiding in plain sight, I think either Gatiss or Moffat mentioned something about that, and the idea has interested me a lot. Lots of people say, 'if you want to hide a diamond, hide it in a room full of diamonds'. Well there is also another way of hiding things (obviously, there are tons of other ways to hide things) which is much more to the point of hiding in plain sight. Hiding the object in a place where it's supposed to be. Let's say you want to hide a necklace, you put it in a jewlery display; you would see it, your eyes would pass right over it, but that's the thing, your eyes don't focus on it, you wouldn't acknowledge it because it is 'supposed to be there', or rather, you expect it to be there. Of course, there is always the, have a room full of diamonds, people would check each and every diamond, but that particular diamond is hidden somewhere else. 

Anyway, as for the "it's something Sherlock did that was very out of character" clue, I came up with a whole list of things that Sherlock did that were uncharacteristic, and in all honesty, I think Moffat just said that to make us, fans go even more crazier than we already are. It could be a clue, but I have my doubts. 

It's really annoying, because we've been informed that "all the clues needed to solve TRF are in the episode" and here I am, with no idea (well, I have plenty of ideas but none of them fit all the facts) how he survived

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

January 24, 2013 10:53 am  #2

Re: Hiding in plain sight

Yeah, the hiding in plain sight thing was from Great Game I think.

Anyway, I've often wondered whether the out of character thing was a red herring too. There must be quite a few red herrings...like the rubber ball.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 24, 2013 2:12 pm  #3

Four things keep coming to mind:
1. the dummy hanging in the kitchen wearing a black suit (Where John says--"What did you do, talk this one to death?")
2. The fact that Molly works in a morgue and there's something only *she* can do.  ("You can see me?)
3. For some reason, I have latched onto the rubber ball as a way to stop pulse in the wrist theory.
4. The fact that Sherlock tells John to "keep your eyes on me. Can you do that for me?"

Just like in canon where Sherlock is literally hiding up the cliff a little and can see Dr Watson. He would be in plain sight if John would have just looked up, because the bad guy (Moriarty's right hand dude) could see him enough to throw rocks. John was so concerned with looking *down* into the Falls that he missed seeing his friend.

So, maybe, it all focuses on what John could and could not see?

Last edited by crazybbcamerican (January 24, 2013 2:14 pm)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

January 24, 2013 2:29 pm  #4

Molly is the only one Sherlock knows who could hide a corpse in a room full of corpses...

I think Moftiss and Gatiss or Moffat put Sherlock on a roof so he couldn't hide anywhere higher as a way of one-upping the canon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

January 24, 2013 11:36 pm  #5

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Yeah, the hiding in plain sight thing was from Great Game I think.

Anyway, I've often wondered whether the out of character thing was a red herring too. There must be quite a few red herrings...like the rubber ball.

They must be pissing themselves looking at all these theories and 'clues'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

January 25, 2013 6:43 am  #6

Would like to think they'll be impressed with some of us!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera