BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2013 8:19 pm  #41

Re: Benedict to play Julian Assange?

Fabulous.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 22, 2013 8:23 pm  #42

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 23, 2013 2:52 am  #43

Yuck! Did he get hair extensions, in addition to a bleach job, or is that a wig?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

January 23, 2013 7:01 am  #44

It's a wig and he looks the image of Julian Assange.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 23, 2013 8:50 am  #45

Here's more information on the film and a release date as well:

http://screenrant.com/fifth-estate-wikileaks-movie-release-date-2013

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 23, 2013 9:03 am  #46

November 15th...possible collision with Sherlock series 3?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 23, 2013 9:10 am  #47

Why? You can watch Sherlock one evening and go to the cinema the next day. Or do you fear a Cumberbatch overkill? 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 23, 2013 9:40 am  #48

SusiGo wrote:

Or do you fear a Cumberbatch overkill? 

Impossible.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 23, 2013 9:41 am  #49

Agreed. Just imagine: Star Trek, Assange and Sherlock in one year!!!! It's not impossible. 

January 23, 2013 10:05 am  #50

SusiGo wrote:

Agreed. Just imagine: Star Trek, Assange and Sherlock in one year!!!! It's not impossible. 

And not to forget The Hobbit in December.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 23, 2013 10:15 am  #51

OMG, another one. Super villain, consulting detective, master hacker, dragon, and necromancer, all in one year. This. Is. Amazing. 

January 23, 2013 11:23 am  #52

Mattlocked wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Or do you fear a Cumberbatch overkill? 

Impossible.

Just some faints because of over excitement from time to time.

Could the Assange role be Oscar worthy in the eyes of the Academy? Not that BenCum isn't always Oscar worthy for us! But then again who cares about an Oscar, just think about Gary F***ing Oldman!

I can remember when I heard and saw pictures about/of "The Kings Speech" I knew that this might be the right film at the right time for Colin.

----------

January 23, 2013 12:01 pm  #53

Interesting question. I'm sure he'll do brilliant work as usual. What I don't know is how the political climate towards Assange might influence such decisions. How critical will the film be? How will they depict the threats made by some US politicians mentioning death penalty and other things Assange regards as life-threatening? On the other hand you have a strong liberal lobby in Hollywood although I don't know how they think about the activities of Wikileaks. 
"The Kings's Speech" of course was a film that didn't hurt any political feelings and therefore was a safe bet from this point of view. Which doesn't mean Colin didn't deserve it which he does. But wouldn't he have deserved it for "A Single Man" as well which had a more controversial subject? 

January 23, 2013 12:46 pm  #54

Yes I thought that, too. How does the Academy think about Assange/Wikileaks. And whether ot not it is a critical film.

I just wanted to compare my "feelings"  Regardless of the film topic and what the Academy might think. I had a good feeling that Kings Speech could work for him, like I now have the same feeling about that Assange role.

Beware!
I think when you compare both films he deserved it more for "A single man", he was so brilliant, the scene on the telephone when he learned about the death of his boyfriend. But they had to give the award to Jeff Bridges for his "comeback". It is always depends on who your fellow nominees are.
Kings speech was wonderful

----------

January 23, 2013 1:08 pm  #55

Nice smiley. 

So let's hope your feelings are correct. Or better not? There's the theory that some people's career declined after an Oscar. Heavens, what are we talking about? Just wait and hope that he'll get what's best for him. 

Jeff Bridges - that's just what I meant. Some awards are given because it's deemed right or correct at the moment. I liked both films very much but wish Colin had got it for "A Single Man" because it was a more courageous choice - after all, it still doesn't happen so very often that non-gay actors play big gay parts. Or that a gay love story is just told as a love story regardless of gender. That's what I liked most about the film. Of course it matters that George is homosexual but it is not a film about homosexuality but about love. 

January 23, 2013 1:55 pm  #56

You are right, so maybe better not. I like I said, gary Oldman doesn't have one either.

Yes I agree, it was the same with Mickey Rourke, he basically played himself in that boxer film.The point is, how can you measure good acting? It is often a matter of taste. And if I were a voting member, I couldn't say that I'd vote for someone just becaue I like that person. You need a lobby.
Someone shouldn't get an Oscar just because it was "brave" to play a gay character. His facial expression was so wonderfully, no matter if his role was gay or hetero. It is love that's all that matters.

----------

January 23, 2013 4:49 pm  #57

I'm not going to worry about awards so soon, but wait and watch the film develop. That picture of him from the film set was about as scary as I feard it would be. Not a flattering look for Ben, but then Assange wasn't exactly what one would call handsome.   I'm excited for Ben that he has so much going on and so much for us to look forward to. It's a long way to go, for all my favorites this year, it seems, but the anticipation will hopefully keep me going.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 24, 2013 7:56 am  #58

Mr Assange isn't amused

http://news.sky.com/story/1042145/assange-slams-wikileaks-film-as-propaganda

EDIT: now we know the title, "The Fifth Estate", should we move this thread to "Benedict's Non-Sherlock Work" ? Because it's official now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9821056/Benedict-Cumberbatch-as-Julian-Assange-in-The-Fifth-Estate-first-look.html

Last edited by Ivy (January 24, 2013 8:12 am)

----------

January 24, 2013 11:27 am  #59

Dunno.
But I have 2 words for JA.
The 1st begins with ' F' and the 2nd with 'O'.

January 24, 2013 8:01 pm  #60

I think when you're a person like this, you sadly have to roll with the punches. I'm sure Mark Zuckerberg hated The Social Network, but when you do something so massive in the public domain, it opens you up to this kind of scrutiny.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

Board footera