BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2012 5:02 pm  #41

Re: books

I am reading THE OTHER BOLEYN  GIRL  by Phillippa  Gregory.   It's the original one,  not the one with Natalie and Scarlett on the cover.  Most enjoyable.  The character William Carey  is  more prominent (sp)  here; whenever I read   about him in this book, I thought of our own Benedict   (who played him in the movie).  First it was Mary who had the king's love, then it was Anne...it  just  keeps going back and forth.  That king was quite a man,  hmmm?  the man and his six wives....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 21, 2012 1:32 pm  #42

My brother was going to throw away some of his books to get more space but I went and salvaged a bunch to my own collection. This is what I got.

Miles Davis: Definitive biography
Diary of Anne Frank
Midnight Express
The Da Vinci Code + Cracking the Da Vinci Code
Manga: Sixty years of Japanese comics
Red Dragon + Silence of the Lambs
Cold Fire - Dean Koontz
Eye of the Needle - Ken Follett
Alive - Piers Paul Read
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Schindler's List
The Killing Gift - Bari Wood
Dragon Tears - Dean Koontz
Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights (all 3 volumes in one)
Papillon
The Deer Hunter
Dead Man's Folly - Agatha Christie + a collection with 5 books

Some classics in there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

July 22, 2012 8:50 pm  #43

I have finished The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson, now I have to find the third part of this series: The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I love those books, Covenant is one of my favorite character and a wonderfully written anti-hero : ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

July 22, 2012 9:24 pm  #44

Sounds interesting. Going to try and get these books.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 29, 2012 8:23 am  #45

I've just got  two of the william Golding books that were the basis for the movie TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH. they are Fire Down Below,  and Close Quarters.   I also got the book HAMLET  by Shakespeare.   This book has both the written text  AND  the translations,  side by side.   Cool,  huh?   I'll let you know my reviews after I've read them.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 31, 2012 5:35 am  #46

sherlockskitty wrote:

I've just got  two of the william Golding books that were the basis for the movie TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH. they are Fire Down Below,  and Close Quarters.   I also got the book HAMLET  by Shakespeare.   This book has both the written text  AND  the translations,  side by side.   Cool,  huh?   I'll let you know my reviews after I've read them.

hi sherlockskitty- we'll compare notes I've just started Golding's "To the Ends of the Earth" trilogy, as well.

November 3, 2012 10:30 pm  #47

I'm an avid reader myself. I love Kurt Vonnegut, particularly Mother Night. The Lord Of The Rings and Narnia are classics. JD Robb's In Death books and Sherrilyn Kenyon's numerous series. Christine Feehan's Dark books. Recently read The Hunger Games trilogy, which I really liked. Some Stephen King, my fav being The Stand. My two important, life changing book were The Feminine Mystique by Betty Freidan and The Second Sex by Simone De Beauvoir. I also love biographies and autobiographies.

I just finished a gripping auto biography written by Mikal Gilmore called Shot In The Heart, chronicling his family history, which included his infamous brother Gary Gilmore, who murdered two young Mormon men in Utah in the late 70's. Gary himself was the subject of both a Pulitzer prize winning novel by Norman mailer called The Executioner's Song and a tv movie. Gary was the first man executed in Utah in over a decade and he lobbied adamantly for that execution. Mikal's book was beautifully written, very powerful and really informed my view of the age old question of nature vs nurture. Not to mention capital punishment. It's one of those books that's never pleasant from beginning to end, but it will say with me for a very long time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 3, 2012 11:13 pm  #48

Started reading Isaac Asimov's CAVES OF STEEL which is my first Asimov book, believe it or not. I've read 20 pages and I could totally see a movie made out of this. It has that noir/BLADE RUNNER -feel to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

November 4, 2012 2:56 am  #49

harleyq wrote:

I'm an avid reader myself. I love Kurt Vonnegut, particularly Mother Night. The Lord Of The Rings and Narnia are classics. JD Robb's In Death books and Sherrilyn Kenyon's numerous series. Christine Feehan's Dark books. Recently read The Hunger Games trilogy, which I really liked. Some Stephen King, my fav being The Stand. My two important, life changing book were The Feminine Mystique by Betty Freidan and The Second Sex by Simone De Beauvoir. I also love biographies and autobiographies.

I just finished a gripping auto biography written by Mikal Gilmore called Shot In The Heart, chronicling his family history, which included his infamous brother Gary Gilmore, who murdered two young Mormon men in Utah in the late 70's. Gary himself was the subject of both a Pulitzer prize winning novel by Norman mailer called The Executioner's Song and a tv movie. Gary was the first man executed in Utah in over a decade and he lobbied adamantly for that execution. Mikal's book was beautifully written, very powerful and really informed my view of the age old question of nature vs nurture. Not to mention capital punishment. It's one of those books that's never pleasant from beginning to end, but it will say with me for a very long time.

I could only get a little way into The Excecutioner's Song. It was too grim for me, although it was well written.

November 4, 2012 10:51 am  #50

The was a song here called 'Looking Through Gary Gilmore's Eyes'. Have  you heard of it? If you found Mikal's autobiography interesting you might want to read 'In Cold Blood' by Truman Capote, if you have not already done so. It is not for the faint-hearted but it too explores similar themes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 4, 2012 3:32 pm  #51

I have heard of the song, I think Mikal mentioned it in the book, but don't think I've ever actually heard the song itself. I haven't read Capote's book, but have always been meaning too. So many books, so little time. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 4, 2012 4:38 pm  #52

Here's the song on Youtube. It was a hit in 1977 for The Adverts. You can hear the influence of punk music in this track.

Last edited by Davina (November 4, 2012 4:40 pm)

November 4, 2012 4:53 pm  #53

Love it and sing it often!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2013 12:14 am  #54

I've read all the books I've mentioned above,  but it's been so long now that I can't really review them properly.  BUT  they were all very good,   and had more detail than the movie.   I  only wish my library had had the middle one  of  William Golding's trilogy.    But it was a very good series.    The Hamlet book  was  fantastic.   I  read another version of it too, updated by another author whose name escapes me at the moment.   

I  am now reading  THE QUEEN MOTHER    by  Sam  Shawcross.   It's official biography of  Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.   I  LOVE  it.   Very thick book.   A friend loaned it to me.   I'm not even halfway through it,  but  it  gives a very detailed look into the goings-on  of her family life  before and after she married The Duke Of York.   (Later King George VI)   I  just love royalty.    I  have just finished the book "William and Catherine"   By  Andrew Morton.   Very  good book,  with lots of photos  and stuff  I  knew and saw before.   Not  very detailed,  but good nonetheless.  It was a lovely gift to get that.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 19, 2013 9:53 pm  #55

My favorite novels all time:

1. Peace like a river - Leif Enger
2. The Hound of the Baskervilles - ACD
3. Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Everyone should read this 3 novels, (I reckon, almost everyone here has read 2 )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 19, 2013 10:08 pm  #56

I read 2 and 3. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera